Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Absolutely. From working multiple minimum wage jobs with no benefits 7 days a week, day and night. To driving a piece of crap car that breaks down all the time for your long commute because you can't afford to live anywhere but a crappy small town/rural area.
I think this really hits at the heart of why they do have a sorry attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
... Your posts don't exhibit a lot of empathy for people (including your own parents) who won't take the steps you've taken to improve your life. By any change did these "terrible attitudes" come out when you confronted them with your poor assessment of the place they call home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you willingly stay in one of the worst places in the country, where people are poorer and crime is on par with Detroit, wouldn't you be sour yourself?
So, I guess the answer to my question is "yes."

Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
No. I was born in an old coal mining town with no known affluence. I've returned a few times & people still strike me as being very polite & respectful, but I have noticed that many seem somewhat defeated. However, maybe that's just my perception because they do take things a bit more slowly & I grew up in huge cities where there's a palpable quick energy to everything. So, maybe they're not depressed... they just take their time & I'm the one rushing.

I've known people all over the financial spectrum & I've never known rudeness to be relegated to any particular segment of any population. Perhaps it was just coincidence?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Negative/sour attitude has nothing to do with income level.
Generalizations are NEVER accurate

Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 PM

84 posts, read 100,763 times
The worse off financially, the better the attitude of most people I know (there are a few exceptions on the rich side of the spectrum, but generally, my experience has been the opposite of your assessment).

Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 PM

250 posts, read 383,349 times
The OP is always cutting down his/her "hometown," they claim to have moved to a much bigger city and claim to be making in their eyes "Good Money." Money is rarely a topic that comes up in my circle of friends, but it appears it's all OP thinks/talks about. One has to look inside themselves to find happiness, they won't find it at the bank. Many people even with money are rude and nasty and depressed. Money has nothing to do with being happy.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 PM

366 posts, read 432,726 times
Personally, I feel that some bad attitudes of less well off people, may be a result of being fed up with working one's butt off, day in and day out, going to college to better one's self, but still not being able to catch a break, while watching some people have life handed to them on a silver platter since birth, because they happened to hit the genetic lottery, and were born into an affluent family.

I mean people who have literally had every opportunity handed to them, as in good college, great careers, etc...because they are part of a good family and nothing more.

Trying to better one's self, and good old fashioned hard work, just does not work like it used to.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:57 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
I traveled to one of the poorest places out in the outskirts of Cambodia and Viet Nam where all the land mines are still around, and the people there are on of the sweetest, kindest, humble, honest, innocent, untouched people I ever met.

People like that are inspirations to me. They're untainted by a world of selfishness, self-centeredness. They work hard, have little to give to themselves, but always find a way to share what little they have amongst each other.

They appear infinitely happy, and just all around genuine people.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 AM

245 posts, read 712,225 times
Funny how I came across two situations at a pharmacy in a separate part of town. The first was in a Target Pharmacy in a low income area when a non-English speaking patient was very attentive and thankful for the pharmacist's consultation when picking up her medications. She had 3 kids with her and all were trying their best to understand the pharmacist. This is in contrast to a more affluent looking lady at a CVS in a better part of town who was complaining to the pharm tech that her medication bag was stapled at the wrong corner.

Now I can be wrong about their income levels, but the lady at CVS did come with a nice Bottega Venetta bag and obvious plastic surgery. Just my observation.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:29 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I traveled to one of the poorest places out in the outskirts of Cambodia and Viet Nam where all the land mines are still around, and the people there are on of the sweetest, kindest, humble, honest, innocent, untouched people I ever met.

People like that are inspirations to me. They're untainted by a world of selfishness, self-centeredness. They work hard, have little to give to themselves, but always find a way to share what little they have amongst each other.

They appear infinitely happy, and just all around genuine people.
That reminds me of the story in which a mogul of a $billion enterprise finally found the time to take a vacation to a beautiful island fishing village. Whilst there, he was still doing work, talking biz on his cell all throughout the day/night, rather than relaxing & forgetting about work for 1-wk.

As he dined at $$$ seaside cafes, drinking wine & enjoying seafood whilst still on his phone, he watched the fishermen bring in beautiful catches each day, selling them to locals & restaurants & noticed they made a modest living & lived in modest housing with their large families. He approached one of the most industrious fishermen, who owned his own boat & had hired crew, telling him he could help him to buy a few more boats by using investors, so his catch could increase & be spread down the coast. Then he told him he should have a web presence & he could hire someone to help with country wide advertising & pay for it by increasing crew & hours. He then said in 5-yrs time, the fishermen would be able to purchase a whole fleet of fishing boats in surrounding countries, could now can/freeze/ship his fish to worldwide customers & make millions.

The fisherman asked why he should do so & the wealthy man said that way he could own expensive cars/homes/clothing, take pricey vacations & enjoy the finer things in life, like good food & wine, like him. The fisherman said that everyday he worked on one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world on his own boat, ate the best food he'd caught himself, drank the best homemade wine in the village that restaurants sell for high prices & each night, sat on the beach with his friends enjoying life... singing, eating, drinking. Their families joined them & it was the same night after night. He returned home nightly with a healthy, happy, well fed family. He then pointed out that the wealthy man worked 14-hr days, holidays & weekends & even whilst on vacation, didn't have a moment to stop working. He kindly thanked the man & told him that he already lived the good life, something that others across the world can only afford once/yr & even then, can't enjoy because they're too busy working off their debts. In his mind, he was the wealthy man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships