Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I think this really hits at the heart of why they do have a sorry attitude.

No, it doesn't. You're looking at the symptom, not the root cause.

Being rich or poor has absolutely no bearing on a person's attitude. The attitude comes from something else (childhood problems, no self respect, etc...).

You can choose to be happy, or not. Sadly you could give a poor person with a bad attitude $100 million tomorrow, and they would be happy for a little while, but those same feelings are coming back out at some point. Cream always rises to the top. So does bad attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
Personally, I feel that some bad attitudes of less well off people, may be a result of being fed up with working one's butt off, day in and day out, going to college to better one's self, but still not being able to catch a break, while watching some people have life handed to them on a silver platter since birth, because they happened to hit the genetic lottery, and were born into an affluent family.

I mean people who have literally had every opportunity handed to them, as in good college, great careers, etc...because they are part of a good family and nothing more.

Trying to better one's self, and good old fashioned hard work, just does not work like it used to.

If they're fed up, they need to change their situation. Whatever it takes. No one is going to do it for them. Good old fashioned hard work still works just fine.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:15 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
I don't think there is a correlation between being an A## and income.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I traveled to one of the poorest places out in the outskirts of Cambodia and Viet Nam where all the land mines are still around, and the people there are on of the sweetest, kindest, humble, honest, innocent, untouched people I ever met.

People like that are inspirations to me. They're untainted by a world of selfishness, self-centeredness. They work hard, have little to give to themselves, but always find a way to share what little they have amongst each other.

They appear infinitely happy, and just all around genuine people.

+++ 1.

My daughter works in SE Asia and says the same thing about the people in those countries. Despite their extreme poverty, the people are so kind and gracious and giving. They are an inspiration and one of the reasons she stays in the region.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
I have encountered pretty awful attitudes from rich and poor. A lot of wealthy or upper middle class types have a smug attitude and act like their money makes them better than others. I've dealt with plenty of those. I have also dealt with plenty of poor people who are eaten up with envy and hate anyone who is more successful than them.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
If you willingly stay in one of the worst places in the country, where people are poorer and crime is on par with Detroit, wouldn't you be sour yourself?
Would you please quit comparing to Detroit, it's not even remotely close, nor is it by any stretch of the imagination as bad as Memphis. Try living in one of those places and see what it's like to worry about daily violent crime problems are before you go making such ridiculous claims.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:15 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have been more poor than most ghetto people. i did not realize this until i got here i got to know many ghetto people very well.
astounding that you could be that nasty that arrogant and that entitlement attitude that much stinking stinking mind set and really have gone thru far less than many poor people in france.
amazing.
I'd like to hear more about that. We're always told in mainstream media how much better the European welfare states are.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I've seen poor attitudes at all income levels and socioeconomic classes.
In working with the general public on a daily basis, this is also what I see. I would say poor folks are more likely to have bad attitudes, on average; but that average varies by quite a wide margin from person to person.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:35 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
YES!!

Poor people tend to be self defeating, ignorant and uninformed, and are often on the prowl for a scapegoat to pin their poor life choices onto.

It's like they have a depraved attraction to misery, and they do tend to clump together to co-miserate.

They smoke and drink too much, and their children are unkempt/unruly.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
I found attitude has more to do with education than income. And by that, I don't mean schooling. I mean the people who seem to understand the least about a topic are the ones who are bitter and gripe the most about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships