Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If you want to do something in someone's memory donate to their favorite charity.
That's great for you, but not everyone would want that. I would think it was stupid if someone did it for someone in my family. Honestly, I don't think most people have a "favorite" charity, especially younger drivers. For most people the draw is being near the place where their loved one left this earth. You don't replace that feeling and spiritual connection with anything.

As far as a memorial on your land, I agree with many others; Its OK for a short while, but then its gone. And if its on private property they should get permission first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
That's great for you, but not everyone would want that. I would think it was stupid if someone did it for someone in my family. Honestly, I don't think most people have a "favorite" charity, especially younger drivers.
I would strongly disagree.
Almost everyone I know DOES have a favorite charity... even kids. I know many in your area that are partial to Mission to Seafarers!
Kids in my neighborhood just had a bake sale to raise money for the Free Care Fund at Childrens Hospital Pittsburgh.

Just because YOU think it is a 'stupid' idea doesn't mean it is....

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 09-30-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Wow - this is an interesting topic. If this was me, I would wait a couple of months. Then I would contact the family and offer them the option of a "permanent" memorial (small plaque, planting a tree, etc) in place of the makeshift memorial.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Roadside Memorials on your property?

NO.

They have places for memorials.....they are called cemeteries.

Want more than that? Put up a shrine on your own property.....where you can look at it every day, mow around it, tend to it.

Want to remember "the spot"? Take a picture of it, frame it and build your shrine around it....on your own property.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
If the family tended to it and it brought them peace, then yes, i would not touch it. I would appreciate positive healing energy being brought to my property if there was a death there.

If family did not tend to it, idk. I would probably remove the "whatever" (i'm assuming dying flowers, dirty teddy bears, and or/stick crosses) and put something more small and permanent in the spot that did not need upkeep. Maybe a painted rock or wooden plaque on a tree.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Nope. Anybody puts that on my property, it would be gone in the morning. I think such things are distracting, depressing, and unnecessary. You really want to do something to honor the departed...talk your local Department of Transportation into putting a light or a speed bump or taking down a tree that's too close to the road. There's a street near us with five or six 'memorials' because it's dangerous, esp. in the rain. If those families got together, they could make it so that nobody else dies there...but they'd rather be sticking out teddy bears and fake flowers.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Memorials are welcome on my property up until they begin to physically deteriorate. Then I'll personally remove them.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Would you leave a similar memorial up if it wasn't being tended to by the family? If it was?
I have a simply procedure on such things. If it is on private property it is none of my concern.

If it is on public property I check if it has been approved by the local council or Town hall etc etc.

If not then I clear it up, throw it in a skip, and report the illegal crime of littering / illegal dumping to the local police. Not always in that order.

If it is somewhere between public and private and I can not make the call myself - I seek the advice of my local police.

Grief is horrible and they have my sympathy. But it is not an excuse to break laws.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Clearly this is an emotive issue for you but I will simply have to let the moderators deal with the language in your post. But I will reply to the actual content part.

Yes I do see a problem with dumping pieces of wood at the side of the road. We have laws against it for a reason. They are a distraction - and eye sore - a hazard. But for some reason if people hammer the two pieces of wood together and call it a memorial cross - the law is somehow meant to not apply to them any more?

Not happening.

There are a multitude of ways for people in grief to build memorials. Defacing public areas or littering does not have to be one of them.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Nope. Anybody puts that on my property, it would be gone in the morning. I think such things are distracting, depressing, and unnecessary. You really want to do something to honor the departed...talk your local Department of Transportation into putting a light or a speed bump or taking down a tree that's too close to the road. There's a street near us with five or six 'memorials' because it's dangerous, esp. in the rain. If those families got together, they could make it so that nobody else dies there...but they'd rather be sticking out teddy bears and fake flowers.
On the few occasions when I have seen spots with multiple memorials my first thought was that glancing at or being distracted by a previous memorial caused additional accidents.

But, if it is an unsafe spot, getting the government to fix it is better than a dozen fading, deteriorating teddy bears, candles in glass jars and fake flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships