U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 AM

16,801 posts, read 14,449,165 times

Advertisements

Excessive, regular alcohol consumption causes brain damage (google "wet brain") in addition to the toll on the liver, stomach and esophagus. Alcoholics often die by bleeding to death due to esophageal varices. Can you imagine drowning in your own blood?

My friend is currently sitting with her brother in law's family in the hospital as he dies from alcoholism. They have him on a morphine drip and have removed his breathing tube. Nothing more they can do for him.

So yeah, "functioning alcoholism" can be "the worst thing in the world" for family and loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,929,084 times
This is a progressive disease, one that if left untreated, will get worse. Happy, will turn into sad, and quite possibly will end up promoting an early death. In addition to the physical side of the disease, the mental deterioration can be debilitating.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:30 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,359,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
This is a progressive disease, one that if left untreated, will get worse. Happy, will turn into sad, and quite possibly will end up promoting an early death. In addition to the physical side of the disease, the mental deterioration can be debilitating.
Can't forget about anger too.... that's a big one to deal with.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 AM

4,914 posts, read 4,036,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Though not the healthiest of options, functioning alcoholism isn't the worst thing in the world. Personally, I would not worry about it.
My DH was a functioning alcoholic. He was a charming, funny guy who was great at his career. He routinely earned over 6 figures, plus yearly performance bonuses. He was positively involved in our community and our church. All good, right?

He was dead before age 50 as a direct result of his alcoholism. Behind closed doors, he was a bitter, angry individual. My children and I walked on eggshells, never knowing if his funny side would walk in the door, or if his angry, verbally abusive side was arriving. He could switch sides in one breath when he was home. In public, he was ALWAYS funny and charming. So it was very difficult for outsiders to at first believe me when I told them that the person they saw was not the person I lived with.

Death from cirrhosis and kidney failure (a direct result of his alcoholism) is a horrible way to die.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 AM

16,894 posts, read 17,209,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Though not the healthiest of options, functioning alcoholism isn't the worst thing in the world. Personally, I would not worry about it.
If you "would not worry about it" than you have never met someone whose life, and the lives of their family, was destroyed by alcoholism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Excessive, regular alcohol consumption causes brain damage (google "wet brain") in addition to the toll on the liver, stomach and esophagus. Alcoholics often die by bleeding to death due to esophageal varices. Can you imagine drowning in your own blood?

My friend is currently sitting with her brother in law's family in the hospital as he dies from alcoholism. They have him on a morphine drip and have removed his breathing tube. Nothing more they can do for him.

So yeah, "functioning alcoholism" can be "the worst thing in the world" for family and loved ones.
My loved one suffers from slowly progressing brain damage due to alcoholism. Imagine going from being a gifted student, top in your class, with several advanced degrees from major Universities and an outstanding career as a trial attorney to being unable to hold a job that 99% of all HS graduates could handle (night security guard), unable to even read a simple novel because you forget what happened from the top of the page to the bottom of the page. Imagine not even being able to watch your favorite television show without taking notes to help you remember who is who and what happens from the beginning of the show to the end of the show.

My loved one can go for hours and even days (unless he is closely monitored) without eating because he just "forgets" to eat. Imagine, forgetting to eat for days, not because you are drunk but because your body has been so damaged by drinking that it does not react normally to hunger any more. And, on the very bad days even "forgetting" that you need to get out of bed before you urinate and defecate. Imagine, suddenly realizing that you are covered in urine and poop because you "forgot" that you needed to get out of bed to use the bathroom. And, imagine trying to hide that from your loving spouse (who pretends not to notice to save you from further embarrassment and humiliation).

And, that is just the damage to the brain. My loved one has nerve damage to his arms, hands and legs due to being a "functional alcoholic". If he does not die first, at some point he will be unable to walk, get dressed himself (already a problem on bad days) or even feed himself.

BTW, did you know that an alcoholics teeth also fall out? My loved one is now missing, at last count, 14 teeth and it is almost impossible for him to eat anything except very soft foods. And the teeth that he has left are weak and unsupported and will likely be completely gone within a year.

And, that is not even counting the damage to his liver, penis, stomach, heart, lungs and other organs due to being a "functional alcoholic" for decades.

It is certainly not "nothing to worry about".

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-02-2014 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 AM

7,947 posts, read 7,877,938 times
Functioning alcoholic is a ridiculous term. Alcoholism is a mental illness that is self-caused. Alcoholism is basically a death wish. If we all want to do our friends and loved ones a favor, we should come down hard on them early in the game and do not put up with the behavior. If you "put up" with an alcoholic, you are basically just engaging in assisted suicide.

If you have a friend or loved one who you are just beginning to realize may have a drinking problem, don't put up with it. Tell it like it is while they still have some rationality left. Once it's too late, it's usually too late. And even a reformed alcoholic is a PITA to be around, because they are always on the edge of madness and have to watch what they do. Even going to a party with such a person can be risky.

Don't stand for it if it is around you. Do something about it.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 AM

12,300 posts, read 7,934,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My DH was a functioning alcoholic. He was a charming, funny guy who was great at his career. He routinely earned over 6 figures, plus yearly performance bonuses. He was positively involved in our community and our church. All good, right?

He was dead before age 50 as a direct result of his alcoholism. Behind closed doors, he was a bitter, angry individual. My children and I walked on eggshells, never knowing if his funny side would walk in the door, or if his angry, verbally abusive side was arriving. He could switch sides in one breath when he was home. In public, he was ALWAYS funny and charming. So it was very difficult for outsiders to at first believe me when I told them that the person they saw was not the person I lived with.

Death from cirrhosis and kidney failure (a direct result of his alcoholism) is a horrible way to die.
I have. People can make the determination on what to eat and drink.

Do you get all worked up when someone you know is over weight? Smokes? A bunch of life choices lead to an early death, let people make those decisions for themselves.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,772,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Tell you friend what his future looks like.

By 40, his liver will be shot.
By 50, he'll be having blackouts and possibly seizures
and by 60, he'll be dead.

No one drinks (to the point of drunkenness) every day because they're happy.
That's if he even makes it to 40 if he's this young and is already an alcoholic. It's quite sad.

OP, if you care about this person's well-being, get him some help. I have seen friends and family waste away and die because of alcoholism.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,063,456 times
I had a friend ,not exactly friend to say a colleague. Oh lord she drinks , drinks and drinks. Once I saw she was sleeping in the bus halt too... . She had a man who was drinking but he left her with complaining that she drinks way too much than him. She is 5 years older than me as she said. I hear from another colleague that she died last December due to alcohol poisoning, as I heard Gin brandy and whiskey all together taken or something. I don't know what happens if some one takes all three mixed. I have no single experience with drinking, or smoking neither my family. But my father smoked once a while Cuban cigars. When he go golfing. But he had a control.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM

5,905 posts, read 5,256,804 times
I know lots of people that drink everyday. They enjoy it and the bar lifestyle.

At 24 most people I knew drank everyday. 35 years later some of them probably still do.

I know many people that drank everyday and lived long, happy, lives.

It depends on the person. You can drink everyday and not be an alcoholic.

If you don't drive and don't mind wasting the money, it is your business.

Now if they have a personality change and become abusive that is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or