U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,803,446 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand what is wrong with OP's generation of young adults. Why do we have so many of this generation who seem to have a failure to launch? What is going to happen when it is time for them to lead the country? Will they still be at home with their parents whining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,305,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I was unaware that was an option. People said I was good with computers, but I don't have any formal education or anything. I never actually use MS Word or Excel which I often see as requirements on applications. I've done video editing and photography in photoshop and sony vegas, but that was just me messing around and mostly self teaching. Legit question, but don't I have to be certified to be hired to work jobs like that? Like a certificate from a school (and something that I need money to achieve)? If not, then it's news to me but I do feel better knowing that isn't a requirement.
You don't need an education or certification to be a file clerk, mailroom clerk, etc.. You could get a job as a bank teller too (if you're good at basic math and know how to count money), but the bank will want a stable employment history. You need to get started at working---because prospective employers are going to wonder what you've been doing all these years. Even working minimum wage at McDonalds is considered being productive.

But the beauty of a temporary agency is you don't need an employment history to start working. You'll get sent to different assignments--each lasting days, weeks, months or indefinitely. (Make sure you never call off work and you stick with each assignment until it's done. Otherwise, the agency will stop sending you on assignments.) That way you can gain experience, build a work history, and gather references. Once you have experience, you can land a permanent position with a corporation. Focus on finding one that has tuition reimbursement.

There are short courses on Word and Excel. There are usually community organizations that provide training on these for free. You can learn them on your own too. If you don't have the software, go to your local library and use their computers. They probably have "how to" books. The librarian can find you one from another library if there isn't one there. Or you can look up tutorials online.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 PM

4,294 posts, read 3,080,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Your mom has probably been hearing about what you want to be when you grow up ever since you were a little kid. It's cute when you're 5. At this point, talk is cheap and she's wondering why you're sitting there on the internet while she's cleaning and still supporting you. If you know what you want to study, then do it. At least have talked to the college you want to go to and have the information for your mom so she knows you're serious.

About feelings, she wants you to move out so she can be glad to see you when you come back for a visit. And so she and your dad can have wild monkey sex all over the house, like they used to do before they became parents. And go to dinner without having to pay for a third plate, or go out of town on a whim without having to decide whether to include you or not. She's being a good mom by not telling you that you're a grown up now and she wishes you'd go off and live your own life so she can live hers before she gets too old for all the fun things she's been telling herself she was going to do when you were grown up and moved out.
Oh lord here in Holland early morning 06.08 am and you made my day I am still laughing.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:21 PM

4,294 posts, read 3,080,807 times
Every one fails at some point with their decisions or actions they have made from them they learn and growing up. If I were your mother I will kick your butts with the broomstick . Sorry I cannot blame your parents. And I don't think they are unsupported. Just be active choose something you like go to college or university or where ever it is.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,091,788 times
Just DO something. Get a job. Any job. Get out of that house and make your own money, no matter what the job pays. EVERYONE suffers at some point. It IS difficult. Life IS hard. Stop whining on a computer and get proactive.

Zeurich is right; I would kick you off the threshold with a broomstick, too.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:14 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I just don't understand what is wrong with OP's generation of young adults. Why do we have so many of this generation who seem to have a failure to launch? What is going to happen when it is time for them to lead the country? Will they still be at home with their parents whining?
I can't speak for a generation, but it affected me pretty hard when my parents got laid off during the recession. We were lucky because of the whole buyout thing the company had, but we lost our house and had to move to a rougher area. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but I lost contact with a lot of friends and had some anxiety issues after the move. Part of it was a lack of effort (by my friends and I) and part of it was me still trying to find out who my real friends were which is like a whole separate issue.

Plus I feel too honest to lead the country. I'd probably brag about whatever bribes I got and would immediately be removed from office.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 AM

Oh, I should probably mention that I did go to community college for a while. I know in my OP I said I put off college when I meant I put off four-year college and went to community college hoping to transfer. I forget how many semesters, but it wasn't many and I didn't really feel like community college helped. Most job applications don't really have you specify when you went to school but it was between my first and second job. So in actuality, 2014 is really the only year I haven't done anything career-wise (I started exercising and going on a diet this year), but then I guess that's one year too many.

I have started applying to jobs outside of retail (as well as in retail), but I'm pretty sure by the end of the month I'll have a job. I don't expect to move out so soon, unless I land a hefty paying job, but it is a goal I do hope to achieve.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't need an education or certification to be a file clerk, mailroom clerk, etc.. You could get a job as a bank teller too (if you're good at basic math and know how to count money), but the bank will want a stable employment history. You need to get started at working---because prospective employers are going to wonder what you've been doing all these years. Even working minimum wage at McDonalds is considered being productive.

But the beauty of a temporary agency is you don't need an employment history to start working. You'll get sent to different assignments--each lasting days, weeks, months or indefinitely. (Make sure you never call off work and you stick with each assignment until it's done. Otherwise, the agency will stop sending you on assignments.) That way you can gain experience, build a work history, and gather references. Once you have experience, you can land a permanent position with a corporation. Focus on finding one that has tuition reimbursement.

There are short courses on Word and Excel. There are usually community organizations that provide training on these for free. You can learn them on your own too. If you don't have the software, go to your local library and use their computers. They probably have "how to" books. The librarian can find you one from another library if there isn't one there. Or you can look up tutorials online.
Very helpful, thank you. Not sure if it allowed me to rep you.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:59 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,760,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm in a similar situation, I'm 20 and I live at home. It wasn't until recently that I realized it has a lot to do with manipulation and control from my mother.

EXACTLY! Don't expect them to ever stop telling you "how good you have it." This is control and manipulation via guilt. Once in a while is understandable but it really seems overboard how you describe it.

I sense some resentment by them of you. Maybe they've wanted you gone for a while but cant express it beyond the passive aggressive "Crack addict" talk. Maybe they are jealous that you've had a better childhood than them.

Stop trying to gain their approval. You might never get it. Stop being afraid to fail and go forth and live your own life!

Also, beware of becoming a "professional student" just because it feels safe and it is hard to fail at it. Architecture is a tough career to break into.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:17 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,497,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Unless you were raised by a helicopter parent, you probably will never understand. It's like being in an abusive relationship. Imagine having someone that you love take control over you. Every time you do something wrong, you get berated. You live to please them and even your best isn't good enough.

When my mom suspected that I skipped class (which I did), she went through my backpack, found the syllabus, and called the professor. HOW EMBARRASSING!

I remember getting beatings (not spankings) when my parents would help me with my homework and I didn't write each letter on the line or got a math problem wrong.

My parents (particularly my mom) is the reason why I'm not thriving. Thankfully, I have recently realized that. Now I'm trying to figure out how to stand on my own two feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or