Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times

Advertisements

I dunno.

its your brother

probably, expect nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 06:10 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
I would one more time.

I'd calmly, but very seriously, tell him that I think it's his responsibility to pay for the entire thing, since the damage happened while he was using the SUV. If he says no, I would drop it. Family harmony is more important than $200.

However, I would never lend him anything again.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 PM

350 posts, read 477,538 times
I don't understand why you think you are entitled to TWO NEW tires to replace one blown tire that, by your own admission, had 50% tread? At best you are entitled to the fair value of the tire at the time it was blown out. That you desire to replace both is your own decision.

You sound like the greedy one to me.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
I think his is a generous offer. They are your tires and you put the majority of the wear and tear on them... Unless he hit a curb at high speed, whatever damage was done to the tire was done before he got the car - a blowout does not come from nothing. Take his offer and be glad he offered anything.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:43 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Letting other people drive your car is never a good idea.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:25 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
I don't understand why you think you are entitled to TWO NEW tires to replace one blown tire that, by your own admission, had 50% tread? At best you are entitled to the fair value of the tire at the time it was blown out. That you desire to replace both is your own decision.

You sound like the greedy one to me.
I like most of this answer.

Let's suppose he got into an accident and totaled your truck. Would you expect him to replace your truck with a brand-new 2014 model?

Of course not.

You derived the benefit from using your tires for the first half of their tread life. Why should you get 2 brand-new tires entirely at his expense? One could say that he deprived you of half the tread life of one tire, so he owes you half of the cost of one tire.

Since both tires on the same axle should be changed (I agree with you on this point) at the same time, he should probably compensate you for the second half of the tread life of the second tire that you will not get to use.

Since two new tires cost $400, half of that sum is $200. He is giving you a fair deal, though wording it differently.

If you went to court, a judge would probably tell you the same thing.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It's a tire, you don't know what happened. I personally wouldn't expect hom to pay for both. Let it go

Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Personally, I would accept half just to keep harmony ---- however, any of my siblings would have insisted on paying for both tires (if that is really recommended and not just "suggested").
That would happen in my family, too. I certainly would offer to pay for both and I can't imagine my siblings not doing the same. In fact, I'd be willing to bet they'd have a pair of same or better tires on the SUV before they even told me about the accident. How much would it have cost him to rent a vehicle big enough to take his daughter and her stuff to college?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
It's a wear item. If he took it in for an oil change while he was borrowing it, and they told him the cooling system needed to be flushed, would you expect him to pay for it? Same thing with tires. It probably wasn't anything he did - it just happened to go while he was driving it. Offering you $200 sounds generous to me.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Take the $200, and never, ever loan him your car again. What about the spare tire -- was that a "temp" tire or a full tire? Will it need to be replaced, too?

No one has ANY idea what caused the blow-out. It could have had a nail that it picked up in YOUR driveway that finally worked its way through and punctured the tire. He could have hit a curb -- he was driving an unfamiliar car. He could have picked up something on the road. I think getting torqued because you suspect that the blowout was somehow his "fault" is a waste of energy.

I understand you're annoyed at needing to replace both tires. Just think of it this way -- he could have wrecked the car when he had the blowout. He could have been killed, or killed someone when the car swerved. And here you are, complaining over $200.

S**t happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships