U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 PM

12,255 posts, read 13,479,761 times

Advertisements

Don't answer your phone if you don't want to hear the drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:29 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,174,547 times
I know this is all frustrating to you, but what exactly can you do about it?

At some point you're just going to have to let go and let them live their lives the way they see fit. Just don't give any of them any money and don't listen to their complaints.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-04-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 AM

2,565 posts, read 2,161,744 times
You don't have to listen or stay involved just because they are family.

Take the advice of others here and respond only on your terms. I'd be really embarrassed to admit how many years it took me to do that myself.

Maybe I was being a "nice guy"; maybe I was just too wimpy to deal with it.

Either way, it eventually does become your fault.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:56 AM

7 posts, read 7,552 times
I understand that you are sick of the drama, but sometimes family is family...you can't just toss it and let go.

I think you should think about what you can do to stop the cycle.

For your sister's education situation, is there a way to motivate her to go to a state university part time? Since you said even she regrets of not going to college. If she does have the drive to go, before that...you just gotta make sure that she is majoring in something that will help her make money after graduation. It's just impossible to live with $13/hour with a kid, and she is still so young.

As for your parents, maybe you should educate them and teach them to be more financially responsible. Give them a picture of cash inflow/outflow. Also, if it's possible, store their credit cards away, so they can continue to build up their credit scores. But they would only use one credit card. If they are fine with no credit cards, just use the cash system. That way they can only spend what they have in the bank.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM

873 posts, read 1,351,432 times
My sister texted me yesterday and I never responded. That's a start I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or