U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 AM

972 posts, read 1,084,413 times

Advertisements

Tracy Sam,

I often do the things you mention in your OP.
I think you and I are empathetic, we sense how others would feel about certain actions and so we
try not to do them.

I am not as thorough as you, it depends how I feel.
For example, at the super-market, I really appreciate it when someone lets me ahead of them if I have 2 items and they have 20. Esp. bec. I am 67 and walk with a cane.

It make me happy when someone shows kindness. If someone doesn't - and I have been there with one or 2 items, and have someone beat me in line with a cartful, - well, I feel a momentary "grr". But it doesn't put me out of sorts for more than a minute.

I don't do this act of kindness as often as I used to, due to often being tired and sometimes standing is painful. However, if I'm feeling ok, I often do.
Heck it's not a big deal, and it makes me feel good.

I think this comes under "random acts of kindness", and we need more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
For anyone who is familiar with my venting, I will admit that I do get annoyed by other people all the time. All the time. But at the same time, I'm acutely aware of myself, and making sure I'm not doing something that will annoy others or get in their way. When I mentioned this to someone over the weekend, they acted like my attitude was odd, implying that no one else takes so much care to not bother other people. I wondered if there are others like me.

I just know the things that annoy me when other people do them, so I focus a great deal on not committing those acts myself. Part of it is my empathy for other people, and part of it is my personal need to not be a hypocrite. It might also be partly "do unto others" and a little bit of respecting karma too.

Anyone else? Don't you think we would all get along a lot better if more people thought like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:24 AM

8,564 posts, read 9,623,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It probably does only take a second to scan each one, most people with coupons have several. Our grocery store also hires mentally handicapped baggers. Now, to be honest, they are slow. But I think it's wonderful that the store uses them, so I help bag to move things along a bit.
It's very rare to get someone with a whole pile of coupons. Even if they have ten of them it's still a pretty fast process. We don't have baggers. Have to do our own. Once in a while I'll get a customer who wants to bag their own and it does speed up the process.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I actually pre-organize all my groceries on the belt for scanning/bagging efficiency. All the canned items together, all produce together, all frozen together, etc... and all the bar codes visible for cashier. I also put like look-up codes together (e.g. all leafy veggies) in case it is a new cashier who doesn't have codes memorized - that way they won't need to turn their code book page as often.

I also put frozen items last so they do not potentially numb the cashier's fingers, thereby slowing down his/her scanning/key entry abilities. I also try not to move or talk at all, I am frozen in time as not to distract their eyes from scanning my items. Sometimes I hum softly under my breath as steady music increases worker efficiency. I may even lay out a couple bucks and say "You scan my items under 5 minutes flat and those Washingtons are yours..."

This all makes my cashier more efficient. I am probably saving 1.5 minutes for the person behind me! I'm especially annoyed if others don't do the item pre-sorting and I apologize if I forget to do this. Should I tell the people in front of me to do this so they won't waste my line time? Should I offer them money to do this? Or should I just covertly rearrange their grocery items on the belt? How can I distract them while I do this?

p.s. OP, above ideas may improve your efficiency.
I LOVE customers like you! I try so hard to keep all the 'like things with like things' but sometimes customers stymie me. The very worst are the ones who scatter everything along the belt and THEN pile a bunch of clothes on top! I am constantly scanning the belt for things 'hidden' that could go in with the things I'm bagging at the moment like non foods. That slows me down a little bit but not much and I'll sometimes ask them to hand me something. You are a VERY considerate customer and when I get them like you I always tell them how much I appreciate them. I know I'm sorta OCD about how I do things but I don't get complaints so I'll keep on being that way.

The frozen items don't numb my fingers. I don't have them in my hand that long. Scanned and bagged...fast. lol Most produce has the UPC numbers on them. The only ones I have a problem with are the ones that don't and I don't see all that often.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,644,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It's very rare to get someone with a whole pile of coupons. Even if they have ten of them it's still a pretty fast process. We don't have baggers. Have to do our own. Once in a while I'll get a customer who wants to bag their own and it does speed up the process.
I'm one of those. I start bagging while they're ringing. Saves everyone time and saves me the trouble of worrying about whether or not they're bagging things to my liking (i.e. not putting my jug of water on top of my bread).

Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM

442 posts, read 456,577 times
I bag my own purchases also. It helps the line move more quickly and I also bag things to my liking. Cashiers seem to appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,854,609 times
And so do the other people in line!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,699,235 times
Is it unusual for grocery stores to have baggers? I've lived in three different states, and all the grocery stores I frequented had baggers at the register. As much as I honestly do prefer to bag my own, I don't want to do it at the expense of somebody's job.

I just came back from grocery shopping. The bagger today was Natalie. Mentally handicapped, and slow as molasses. Despite placing my items on the conveyer in groups as I preferred them bagged, my frozen items ended up in no less than 4 bags, mixed in with cleaning products, dog treats, and shampoo. Such is life.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:26 PM

4,257 posts, read 3,892,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is it unusual for grocery stores to have baggers? I've lived in three different states, and all the grocery stores I frequented had baggers at the register. As much as I honestly do prefer to bag my own, I don't want to do it at the expense of somebody's job.

I just came back from grocery shopping. The bagger today was Natalie. Mentally handicapped, and slow as molasses. Despite placing my items on the conveyer in groups as I preferred them bagged, my frozen items ended up in no less than 4 bags, mixed in with cleaning products, dog treats, and shampoo. Such is life.
Some places such a Kroger, trains the baggers. The movie Employee Of The Month isn't too far from fantasy. Baggers are service clerks(what krogers calles them), my second job was a service clerk, bagged, took and put groceries in the car if needed, restocked goods, collected baskarts, janitorial. Speed is the key in bagging, and I developed the technique of using both bag racks, bagging faster than the others, I also wrangled baskarts faster than others, as I pushed more than the legal six pretty often.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:34 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,699,235 times
My local grocery store is a Kroger. I'm sure they offer training, but the reality is, the baggers are mentally handicapped, and often don't bag well.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I'm one of those. I start bagging while they're ringing. Saves everyone time and saves me the trouble of worrying about whether or not they're bagging things to my liking (i.e. not putting my jug of water on top of my bread).
I think most of my customers are too busy watching to make sure they aren't over charged. lol That's fine by me, BUT when all the bags are full...and I'm still scanning...it would be nice if they'd put those in the basket. A lot will wait till the transaction is entirely finished to do that, which is another reason I will do it as I go, if I can. If I notice that they are tying the bags when they take them off I'll also do that as I go...to save time for everyone. And it would be nice if people who bring their own bags would let me know/give them to me before I've already got several plastic ones filled.

Can't imagine anyone putting heavy stuff on top of bread but I hear enough complaints that I'm very sure it does and has happened. No common sense on the cashiers part, whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or