Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 PM

215 posts, read 260,098 times

Advertisements

Children are a joy mostly when they are wanted. So I don't believe people who don't raise kids will miss the job. That said, I don't think anything can teach patience as well as parenthood.
Not everyone should have the same desire or expectation in life. People who don't want kids deserve the exact same respect as those who want them(can we just respect everyone please?). Anyone who grumbles about parents or about non-parents is probably a miserable person who has to grumble about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Parenthood has not been easy for me....I have a rebellious teen. A daughter with autism. One child with learning disabilities. But you know, at the end of the day, the good outweighs the bad. I remember life before kids, and it felt empty and kind of pointless. There are only so many self-indulgent things you can do for yourself before it all starts to seem like a repeat. I suppose if you have a great career that brings you a lot of fulfillment, or a highly active social life, maybe those things bring you a great deal of pleasure and a sense of purpose. Me, personally, I would find my life to be empty if I didn't have my children.

I wonder for those who are childless, don't you worry about who will help take care of you when you're old and dying? The thought of being all alone in the world would scare me. I know not all children want to be there for their parents in old age, but it seems once a spouse dies, it goes to your kids to help plan for you if you end up with dementia, etc. I wonder who fills in that role for people who don't have children? I know there are nursing homes, etc, but someone still has to be there to plan for end of life care.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
It floors me that anyone would give someone else a hard time or keep pestering someone about why they don't have kids.

I mean, you get that nosey great-aunt types at the family reunion...but they will ask you about any damn thing.

Geezus, if people don't want kids, who the F cares?! Great! It's the ones having kids you need to worry about.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:01 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
One of my attendings and his wife...

They travel all over the world.
Climb mountains.
Strapped their baby on their back and trekked the Himalayas.
Climbed in and out of the Grand Canyon with their kids.
Run marathons (kids run the smaller races).
Camp seaside or in the desert or in the Mexican forests...with their kids.
Live in Hawaii for part of the year, boating, diving, kayaking, trekking...

Not sure their life isn't interesting...
But this is hardly the norm and something the average American cant relate to.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Let me put it this way: I have 3 kids..."I" am the one on the "missing out" end, because now "I" am the one who can't find work, travel, get a better car, get a different degree, or just have more time to do more interesting/meaningful things than having to say "wash your hands" a thousand times in 3 hours!

Rant over...
If this is how you feel and how your life is set up, why did you have THREE of them?!
You have a responsibility to yourself to manage both children and a fulfilling life. Not
get yourself stuck in a corner.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But this is hardly the norm and something the average American cant relate to.
Why not?
This guy wasn't rich when he did these things.
Neither were my parents.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why not?
This guy wasn't rich when he did these things.
Neither were my parents.
I'm not saying if he was rich or not, just saying it is not the normal typical American family. Also not saying anything negative about it, I'm sure the kids enjoy it. Do you actually believe this is the norm?

Last edited by ipaper; 10-09-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Well, of COURSE they are missing out on the joys of parenthood, childhood and the singular privilege of raising another human being.

Of course, the people without children have the luxury of living their life without having to consider the needs of their children.

Pros and cons for both. I tend to think that things get arranged the way they do for a reason.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
kids are one thing that I don't mind missing out on.

it's already enough that I have to encounter these screaming, misbehaving little bastards in public places while their oblivious parents fight with eachother or mess around on their smartphones. most of these kids will end up being in juvee or on the rock by the time they turn 18 anyway because these naïve, holier-than-thou parents go around telling everybody how much of a "rewarding" experience it is to raise kids when they are just neglecting them in the first place. and they say the childless singles are the selfish ones.... we're the ones footing the bill for your child tax benefits. you're welcome.

how much does it cost to raise a child from 0-18? $200,000? yeah, no thank you. take that $200,000 over 18 years, it is around $11,111 per year, let that grow for 18 years earning 8% interest. how much will you have at the end of 18 years if you didn't have a kid? $443,000. what am I going to miss more? a (fleeting) sense of self worth from raising a child that will most likely end up disappointing me anyway no matter how hard I try to raise them correctly, or early retirement? i'll give you a hint, it's a rhetorical question. i'll be on my way to happy hour to hit on some strange while you're picking up your child from school, daycare, detention, jail, the dentist, wondering how your spouse suddenly gained 100 pounds and how much weed you'll have to sell to pay for your child's braces. but hey, different strokes for different folks, right? i'll contribute in a different way that does not cause overpopulation to our planet. I've got several measures of philanthropy lined up.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:49 PM

49 posts, read 61,448 times
I don't like children. What on earth am I missing by not having them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships