Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 05:44 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

Let's say it is the weekend after your birthday and you want to celebrate it with your friends. You share on your Facebook page with about 70 of your closest friends that you want to go to such and such a club on Saturday to celebrate your birthday.

Is that tacky to tell people it's your birthday? Why not just say you want to get together and hope everyone can come out Saturday for some fun? Why mention your birthday that was a few days ago? It comes across to me as someone wanting lots of presents.

Why not just post this on your Facebook page and ask everyone to come instead of picking select people? When you have 4-5 times as many friends wouldn't you be hurting someone's feelings if not on your share list?

I don't know....

You think it's tacky or ok to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Do you really have about 70 "close" friends??? I think I would have to understand what you mean by "close"

Your GOOD friends would probably know it was your birthday. The others, would be surprised. Remember, it's really not necessary that everyone bring a present.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Wow! That's a lot of close friends.
I see nothing wrong with wanting to make your birthday special. Hell, it only comes around once a year!

Old 10-10-2014, 06:45 PM

683 posts, read 1,883,393 times
If I wanted my friends to come out and celebrate my birthday with me, it would probably be a good idea to mention it was my birthday.

Also, if a friend wanted me to go out with them, my decision would certainly depend on if it was just a random hangout or a celebration for their birthday. Random hangout is just another day so probably no, birthday celebration is something special so probably yes.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:15 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
A lot of people post on facebook that they will be at this bar or where ever for their birthday so it is becoming normal.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Great. Good to know that others don't think it necessary to bring a gift but to just hang out and that these days these type get-togethers are more normal.

I just didn't see why the birthday girl needed to mention that it was her birthday in order to get together with her friends. To me I took it as 'giving myself a party and singling out lots of Facebook people in hopes of not only getting together but maybe racking up on some gifts and free drinks and hoping not to hurt anyone's feelings not on my share list'.

It's not something I'd do, but good to know others don't see it as being tacky at all.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 PM

235 posts, read 298,858 times
Honestly I don't buy birthday presents for adults, so for me it wouldn't be tacky because I wouldn't bring a gift anyways

Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
You are allowed ONE special day a year at any age- your bday! Play it up and enjoy!

Old 10-11-2014, 12:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
You are never ever supposed to announce your own birthday. Just sit back and let your friends wish you a happy birthday.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:17 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Great. Good to know that others don't think it necessary to bring a gift but to just hang out and that these days these type get-togethers are more normal.

I just didn't see why the birthday girl needed to mention that it was her birthday in order to get together with her friends. To me I took it as 'giving myself a party and singling out lots of Facebook people in hopes of not only getting together but maybe racking up on some gifts and free drinks and hoping not to hurt anyone's feelings not on my share list'.

It's not something I'd do, but good to know others don't see it as being tacky at all.
I think the bolded part is exactly what's up. And tacky as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships