Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times

Advertisements

Ok not sure if this is the correct thread to post this

With my current job, I have to call customer service on a daily basis (Fed Ex, UPS, DHL). Every now and then, I get someone who I cannot understand due to their heavy accents. (Just guessing they are overseas). It seems rude to me to say “hey I cant understand you transfer me to someone else”

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? Should I just say “Transfer me to someone else?”

I recently had a situation when I needed to call Kohls last Friday about an error on an order and I called about 5x and could not understand ANY of them.

I finally called someone today who told me she was based out of Dallas. I understood her and she helped me and I was able to get the situation taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 12:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I usually just thank them for their time and hang up and then I call back later and hope someone else will be easier to understand.

Last year my daughter had a teacher who we just couldn't understand on the phone. She goes to online school and was supposed to talk to this teacher every two weeks. We pretended we were having trouble with our phone service and mostly communicated with him by email, for the entire school year.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:13 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I will usually say "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding you."

We have a representative in our office with a very thick accent, and people have asked to speak to others before. Usually one of my co workers will take over the call for him.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Ive been dealing with this with Fed Ex all day today. As soon as they answer, I know I wont be able to understand them. It's driving me crazy!!!! I just tell them, I'll call you right back I need to get the tracking number. (lies I have it right in front of me)

Old 10-13-2014, 02:44 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I have this problem at work, because a big office in our organization is in India, and we have to work with some of the people there on the regular. In person (they have flown to visit) I have no problem, and we can email back and forth, but on the phone...I just can't understand them. And I hate that. I feel terrible. Honestly I give them big kudos for knowing multiple languages, and I think that their accents are musical and lovely when in person and I can understand them. But it is driving me mad that we're trying to solve serious programming issues and logistical problems and there is a serious barrier to understanding one another. I don't know what to do. I've finally become brave enough to talk to coworkers about my frustration and everyone agrees and says they've got the same issue. *sigh* There is no "transfer me to someone else"...these are the specific people I HAVE to deal with. I just ask that after every conference call, we recap with an email so that we can all refer to the information later. Doesn't help with the fact that every call is torturously awkward, but at least we can communicate in writing afterwards....

Old 10-13-2014, 02:53 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I am a foreigner with heavy accent and will never understand why they had me answer the phones at Bank of America (it wasn't my main task though). I felt so bad about it but needed the job.

It's tough enough when you enter a nail salon and they bark "Pick ya calla" at you. I usually pretend to read a magazine when I get my pedicure done to avoid conversation. They don't understand me and I don't understand them and it is just too exhausting.

Americans are so polite - if you are a foreigner in Germany, they would probably tell you to either speak clearly or shut up.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Americans are so polite - if you are a foreigner in Germany, they would probably tell you to either speak clearly or shut up.
That's awesome.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have this problem at work, because a big office in our organization is in India, and we have to work with some of the people there on the regular. In person (they have flown to visit) I have no problem, and we can email back and forth, but on the phone...I just can't understand them. And I hate that. I feel terrible. Honestly I give them big kudos for knowing multiple languages, and I think that their accents are musical and lovely when in person and I can understand them. But it is driving me mad that we're trying to solve serious programming issues and logistical problems and there is a serious barrier to understanding one another. I don't know what to do. I've finally become brave enough to talk to coworkers about my frustration and everyone agrees and says they've got the same issue. *sigh* There is no "transfer me to someone else"...these are the specific people I HAVE to deal with. I just ask that after every conference call, we recap with an email so that we can all refer to the information later. Doesn't help with the fact that every call is torturously awkward, but at least we can communicate in writing afterwards....
We have reps that I email so I can avoid calling but A LOT of times theyll tell me "I dont have access to my computer, call customer service"

Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
I don't see any justification for outsourcing call centres to foreign countries

In the UK everything is outsourced to India, they always have a checklist and if you ask them anything outside that they suggest otherstuff which is wrong. They never understand us either..

Old 10-13-2014, 05:29 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I just tell them I'm sorry but I can't understand please transfer me to someone else. I figure if it happens enough somebody will figure out their 'customer service' rep isn't terribly suited for call center work. I mean there are accents, and then there are barely intelligible accents that shouldn't even be considered for such work. Most of the ones I deal with ARE reading from a script or a computer screen so it's not like they have specialized knowledge, they're just cheap labor, sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships