Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 03:06 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You'll know when you no longer GAF.
Good one!

I guess I am just wondering...people threw out 'soup kitchen' and Habitat for Humanity as two examples...with all the other hard-working, character-building people out there why aren't those types of organizations overflowing with excess volunteers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Good one!

I guess I am just wondering...people threw out 'soup kitchen' and Habitat for Humanity as two examples...with all the other hard-working, character-building people out there why aren't those types of organizations overflowing with excess volunteers?
I imagine that when ya have nothing.. The next best think is to draw at straws. Take being called a consumer for example. We're all consumers to a degree, some are just able to consume more easily. It's all good until someone is able to consume more than some others and the that person becomes the bad guy.
The OP bought a modest house and chose to fix it up... Like a lot of folks do, but because she inherited the money some people brand her a consumer like its some kind of badge of dishonor.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:35 PM

21 posts, read 31,780 times
I'm back. This whole thing really blew up. I have read all the posts, all the advice and nice comments and all the harsher one. Yikes! Hah. Anyway, I didn't abandon the thread. The intent was just to ask for advice on how to deal with criticism from my family. I got a lot of sound, great advice but also quite a bit of commentary on my character and how much I probably suck Thanks to all.

Okay, bit of backstory: Grandpa came from money but also created jobs and his own wealth. Mom was well taken care of as were her siblings. Growing up I was grandpa's favorite, as was mom since she was his youngest child/daughter. Grandpa and I were close up until he died. I always knew I would get an inheritance but the will was shocking to quite a few family members, including my mom and me. Basically we got everything while my mom's remaining three siblings and my cousins got next to nothing (other than a property and a few acres of land split). All of them at one point had trusts though I don't have a lot of details of how much they were (my aunts and uncle). It did create ~drama with that part of the family but to be honest I was the only grandchild my grandfather was truly close to.

My parents both worked, even my mom has had a successful career and had money to fall back on. Yes, my parents encouraged me to work growing up but I always was busy with sports and other competitions and the time was just not there.

Once I came into the inheritance my mom assumed nothing would change and that I would start looking for a job. They were truly surprised, though not angry like my grandmother. They have worked their whole lives and thought it was only natural I do the same. They are concerned and worry about me becoming bored. My mom worries that because I have never struggled ( really, in any sense) that I won't become a well rounded person. It's true that next to nothing awful has happened to me, apart from losing my grandparents and having a close friend die.

I actually am happy. When I was younger I stayed with my grandpa during the summers and by then he wasn't actively involved in his businesses anymore but he still got up at 4:15 am every day and made phone calls and worked. He had gotten up at that time and worked well into the evening for over fifty five years prior to that, resting only on Sundays. He never took a vacation because working WAS his hobby. He always encouraged all his kids and me to travel because he never did.

I don't work, never have. But I don't think I'm a drain on society. I do what I like but I don't have an unpleasant attitude. I am carefree and I enjoy cooking. I like going places when I want to and not having to be a certain place at a certain time. It makes everything so much easier to plan for. Since I don't need the income and keep myself busy (travel, cooking, gardening, helping and visiting friends) I don't see the point in taking a job from someone else. Plus in order to keep a job I would have to settle down somewhere and right now I bounce around. That time I spent traveling I couch surfed, stayed in nice hotels but also hostels. I partied a bit but also learned to cook different foods and I cooked for others I stayed with I loved it! I was able to go to Oktoberfest and went nearly every day. I spent three weeks at Disney World and flew my friends down for a week when they could take time off. I may not be working- but I do fill my time up.

Right now I'm enjoying my house and am doing nothing. Like today I just had ate lunch and am on the internet all day. But my days vary and I just try to entertain myself. Baking pies IS my idea of fun, though to some of you it may not be. Fixing up my house was also fun and something that made me feel productive.

To answer a few more questions:

My financial advisor helps me so that my money WILL last. I haven't even dented the budget for this year. Through small investments I will continue to grow my money. With my parents help I'm trying to be smart and make educated decisions. keyword is trying, haha. But luckily I have people behind me.

-I'm not currently interested in volunteering (only because I keep busy) but that could change. I have considered Girl Scouts or something with kids. Maybe a camp counselor? That might be a paid position though
-I would love to start a business and create jobs but I just don't know what I would do. I have kept it in my mind and if the right opportunity comes along I might go in but as for now, no.
-A bar I will consider more but I would need to do serious research or take on a partner who knows the business.
-My parents paid for my education and it was their gift to me so no, they don't want me to pay them back.

I'm happy with my life and I feel like my grandpa would be proud of me. I do the things I want. I feel like I'm a good person.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I think the OP expressed herself a little poorly here.

She should have written that she inherited a lot of money and she invested in real estate, works closely with a financial advisor and is planning on opening her own business, while also traveling the world to broaden her horizon and learning how to work the stock market.

Coming here and telling us she sleeps in and bakes pies all day comes off as lazy. Only in bits and pieces she reveals that she is actually very responsible with her money.

I think if the opening post would be reworded, she would get a lot more sympathy from all the haters

Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Elhelmete and Sydney, you're missing her point. Of course we are all consumers. But without productive people, there would be nothing to consume. That's what our society depends on. Every last person doesn't have to play a part, and the OP doesn't, but that's where the consumer reference comes in. Givers and takers. Like everyone says, she doesn't have to do a thing to contribute if she doesn't want to, but I would truly consider it HER loss.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Take some courses, learn how to invest from a rookie to a guru. Compare financial planners, many second generation trust fund babies are screwed by financial planners. Budgeting budgeting budgeting, Try not to fall in love with men who just want you for your money (this advice might be important in the future)

Take care of your health, stay close with your family (believe it or not, they are the only people you can depend upon when you are in trouble)

Try real estate investment (learn from the pro). Look into health care program and find a good one.

Put everything in writing, treat your life like a business, so you can come up with a business plan. Show your grandmother, show your parents, it will impress the hell out of them. Most likely, they would leave you alone.

by the way, I am turning 30 by the end of this year. I just recently realized My family is the most important. Try not to resent them. They love you.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-16-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice about grandma. I think I may throw in a white lie or two about working to get her off my back. I don't want to disrespect her. She thinks I live a "loose lifestyle" (because I'm over the age of 21 and not married I must be up to something...). Her words hurt and her opinions are strong. I feel attacked in her presence. But I will start changing the subject, like someone here suggested. Her obsession with working is insane.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think the OP expressed herself a little poorly here.

She should have written that she inherited a lot of money and she invested in real estate, works closely with a financial advisor and is planning on opening her own business, while also traveling the world to broaden her horizon and learning how to work the stock market.

Coming here and telling us she sleeps in and bakes pies all day comes off as lazy. Only in bits and pieces she reveals that she is actually very responsible with her money.

I think if the opening post would be reworded, she would get a lot more sympathy from all the haters
I DO have my lazy days though. Even when I travel, it is mostly leisure, though I have learned a lot. But I don't consider myself a lazy person since I am normally active. Active leisurely? Leisurely active? I don't know. I try to enjoy myself without becoming a big blob. So I don't know what I am but I am happy.

I worry about disappointing my family but at the same time it is my life and I wish they would only give me an opinion if I asked for one.

A sore spot for me is how no one has ever stood up to my grandma. They let her say what she wants and the only person who has ever called her out was me (not about this but other problematic things she has done) and that can be irritating.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:53 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
cuz she is so old. LOL

This doesn't sound right, but I envy you. You have a grandmother to argue with. Both mine are dead.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Tell us how you really feel!
Now your just starting to sound like a couple of pounds of sour grapes. Like what she does or how she acts is any of your concern or likely to effect you or the other 39 grandmas in any way, shape, or form.
She doesn't deserve her lifestyle because she didn't " pay her dues " like we did is laughable.
You need to read all of my posts in this thread. Thank you, drive through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships