Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 02:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,217,362 times

Advertisements

Can I see by a show of hands how many of you will never retire, would not trade places with the OP if you could, have never said or thought I hate my job and wish I could leave and do what I want to do.

I have not seen any flaws to the OP's lifestyle yet. I know others that live the same lifestyle. They are not the bad people that many of you put them out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,364,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Can I see by a show of hands how many of you will never retire, would not trade places with the OP if you could, have never said or thought I hate my job and wish I could leave and do what I want to do.

I have not seen any flaws to the OP's lifestyle yet. I know others that live the same lifestyle. They are not the bad people that many of you put them out to be.
No joking...I would not trade places with her, but I do wish her well

Old 10-17-2014, 02:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,299,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

I'd trade places with her in a heartbeat. My personal worth and identity are fixed and are independent of any paid profession, so I'd have no qualms about lacking a profession. I would probably continue to grow and build a pet-sitting/house-sitting business, and I'd probably volunteer for various animal rescues, so I would be plenty productive.
With all that free time, I'd have ample opportunity to decide how to allocate my time. The freedom to not have to work and the freedom to pick and choose my endeavors would be priceless.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:44 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,181,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I'd trade places with her in a heartbeat. My personal worth and identity are fixed and are independent of any paid profession, so I'd have no qualms about lacking a profession. I would probably continue to grow and build a pet-sitting/house-sitting business, and I'd probably volunteer for various animal rescues, so I would be plenty productive.
With all that free time, I'd have ample opportunity to decide how to allocate my time. The freedom to not have to work and the freedom to pick and choose my endeavors would be priceless.

I'm with you and completely agree with your last sentence. I think you nailed it.

(PS-It's funny you say that about the pet sitting. My husband and I have been saying we wish we could open a pet sitting service because the places where we live are grossly expensive)

Old 10-17-2014, 02:47 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
As a shelter volunteer/retiree, I'd like to say I hope you win the lottery.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,990,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
Have you ever met the kids of a person that never had to work? If so, I'd be willing to bet a year's salary that you can't name one, honestly, that isn't exactly like I said.
Yes I have...and I'd bet (not worth my salary btw) that you haven't met every person who falls into this category...judge much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Aside from all of the above discussion, I wouldn't recommend anyone open a bar that hasn't managed one before. Running a bar involves a lot more than coming in and making sure everything is hunky dory; its not smiles and handshakes and serving drinks. The field is littered with mechanics and accountants and contractors and sales reps and trustifarians who took the risk opening bars or restaurants and failed because they didn't know what they were doing. Would you recommend that a hospitality manager up an accounting firm? No. So what business does an engineer (or a CPA for that matter) have opening a bar?

Margins are slim, you have to manage to make sure you have the right crowd, right employees, etc. Finding and keeping good employees isn't always easy. Even an honest employee can lose you money if they way overpour, etc. I once worked with a guy who gave away 10 rounds of Patron and didn't charge as they were his friends. He didn't see it as theft, but he did bilk the owners from $80 for that spurt of generosity. You see where I'm coming from.
Again...what is it with people NOT READING and COMPREHENSION??? She said she knows nothing about opening a bar...right now, it's a fantasy because she KNOWS she doesn't know anything about it. In addition, she said she'd have to do serious research and likely, if it WERE to happen, get a partner who is heavily experienced in this type of operation.

Seriously people, this is laughable.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,990,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
As a shelter volunteer/retiree, I'd like to say I hope you win the lottery.
But then, you would judge him for not having a purpose...

Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,141,672 times
Be creative. Start a business that would give other people a job. Do something for your community!

You don't have to get a job to make this happen . . .you don't even have to invest much money.

There is a huge world out there! All sorts of opportunities to share your good fortune with others, if you so desire.

Perhaps you have an interest in photography. Grow with that! Or aromatherapy - start your own line of products.

Do something that gives your life some purpose and direction. You don't have to be someone's employee to "have a career" and a direction in life.

Once you have decided what interests you - create a webpage or a FB fanpage and tell folks about your pursuits. This includes grandmother. All she wants is for you to build something as a young adult that will give you a foundation for growth for the rest of your life.

Study Yoga and spend some time at an ashram in India. Become an instructor. Find something you enjoy and then claim it as your own. Others will respect your intentions.

What a blessing you have been given - financial freedom! You are free to pursue whatever interests you - and open up all sorts of possibilities for meeting people, helping your community and living a stable, interesting life!

Go explore the universe - there are so many interesting pursuits available to someone with time, energy and the money to back that up. Find what interests you and go for it!

Old 10-17-2014, 04:14 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
But then, you would judge him for not having a purpose...
No I wouldn't because volunteering at an animal rescue is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. What is so hard to understand here?
A purpose. Something that isn't just about your own pleasure. It's not complicated.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,217,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
No I wouldn't because volunteering at an animal rescue is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. What is so hard to understand here?
A purpose. Something that isn't just about your own pleasure. It's not complicated.
Why does everyone need a purpose. Can't someone purpose be making nice tasty pies? Can't someone's purpose be shredding some cool waves at the beach? Why can't it be about the person and what they want to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships