U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 03:33 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,075,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
No I wouldn't because volunteering at an animal rescue is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. What is so hard to understand here?
A purpose. Something that isn't just about your own pleasure. It's not complicated.
No, it's not complicated. But you've completely ruled her out by saying that she has no purpose when she may not have found it yet...and also rule her out because she may never find it. And while animal rescues are extremely worthy, you still have a basic dislike for those who inherit or catch a windfall...it's in every one of your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why does everyone need a purpose. Can't someone purpose be making nice tasty pies? Can't someone's purpose be shredding some cool waves at the beach? Why can't it be about the person and what they want to do?
Exactly! We can't all be perfect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
24/7, for the next 60 years probably in the OP's case? It can, but some of us don't think it's actually appealing, or worthwhile, and we're trying to explain where her grandmother is coming from. But as someone said, she's young yet, and hopefully she'll figure it out for herself. If not, it's her business, I just think it's her loss.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
you still have a basic dislike for those who inherit or catch a windfall...it's in every one of your posts.
That couldn't be further from the truth. Believe me.
And I do not think the OP is a bad person. She is a pretty young person. Who knows what the future will bring.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why does everyone need a purpose. Can't someone purpose be making nice tasty pies? Can't someone's purpose be shredding some cool waves at the beach? Why can't it be about the person and what they want to do?
To quote a line from a famous book, "It's not all about you" (not meaning you soon2b, just the general "you").

The best part of your own life can be the part you give away in service to others.

We each get one life to live and the whole world benefits when we choose well how to live it

Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
you still have a basic dislike for those who inherit or catch a windfall...it's in every one of your posts.
I don't get that AT ALL from any of subjects posts.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,425,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
As a shelter volunteer/retiree, I'd like to say I hope you win the lottery.
LOL…Thanks for the well-wishes. I guess I should start actually playing the lottery once in a while now to prevent your good-luck wishes from being wasted!

And it's great that you volunteer for a shelter. So many animals are in need of loving homes (or even just some personal attention) it's unbelievable.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:44 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,425,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm with you and completely agree with your last sentence. I think you nailed it.

(PS-It's funny you say that about the pet sitting. My husband and I have been saying we wish we could open a pet sitting service because the places where we live are grossly expensive)
YEs, most of the brick-and-mortar pet-sitting businesses are very expensive, especially in the more cosmopolitan cities, i.e, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles. I charge enough to make the endeavor worthwhile without gouging my clients. It's a great service that helps many families.

The OP could easily start something like this -- if she is a genuine animal lover and cared to explore that path.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM

15,691 posts, read 26,668,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
To quote a line from a famous book, "It's not all about you" (not meaning you soon2b, just the general "you").

The best part of your own life can be the part you give away in service to others.

We each get one life to live and the whole world benefits when we choose well how to live it
I like to help out in areas of my life as well. I volunteer my time at Church, with my sons Cub Scout Den. I give up one week a year to spend at Cub Scout Day Camp in the Summer, next year will be my 4th year of that. I love doing all that kind of stuff. For me it is just plain fun. The OP likes to bake Pies. Couldn't she be giving service by making them for others? Still, not saying that she has to do that. How many of us were giving service to others at her age? I would say that at age 25 most of us were either finishing school, working on a family, building a career, or some other me kind of goal. Most of our volunteers are older people here at the Hospital. Maybe the op just needs to age a bit before she is ready to give back to the world. It is completly up to her.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM

6,784 posts, read 3,766,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm telling you, AllieAlllieOxenFree, you have a future in fiction writing. I bet you could spin a tale that would engage all sorts of readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
YEs, most of the brick-and-mortar pet-sitting businesses are very expensive, especially in the more cosmopolitan cities, i.e, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles. I charge enough to make the endeavor worthwhile without gouging my clients. It's a great service that helps many families.

The OP could easily start something like this -- if she is a genuine animal lover and cared to explore that path.
My personal opinion is that simply writing them a check would do more good for more animals than having me giving my personal attention to a few. After all.. It is more about them than it is showing my humanity by making a personal appearance and washing a stinky dog. Some people wash dogs.. Some people pay for the soap.. If I am in the position provide the funds and someone else can provide the service.. It's a win win for the mutts. No?

Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,182,159 times
Allie, tell gramma that you've become a surveyor of the woods. Hey, it worked for Thoreau.

Speaking of surveys, why not survey a few classes at a university, see if there's something that interests you? But I think travel alone is fine, why would anyone work if they didn't have to. Rich people usually work at something that they really like doing, which they may or may not be paid for ...... research for the smart ones, board of directors for nonprofits, fundraising for charities like Doctors Without Borders. https://donate.doctorswithoutborders...FdRaMgodp0oA9w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or