U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 AM

722 posts, read 913,096 times

Advertisements

sounds like you must be a millionaire? if I was that rich I wouldnt work either, unless it was a high paying job, I wouldnt waste my time doing any minimum wage type or retail

seems like you have enough you even bought your own house?

this is the same thing people do when they win the lottery, they simply stop working if they dont need to work anymore.

you only live once and life is short, so you might as well enjoy your life the way you like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 AM

427 posts, read 377,099 times
Okay.

Don't work because you're pressured into it. Even if you get a job, which will be hard for you, they will still want you to get a "real" full-time, likely high paying job.

Think about some activities that you enjoy and see if you can find something related. Don't work retail/customer service if you have to.

I would suggest starting your own local business. Because you've never been employed, and have a lot of cash, being bossed around by a supervisor will be hard to handle. Use some of your inheritance to start a local bakery, or a bar like you mentioned.

You sound like a free spirit who doesn't want to go to work for the Man. Why not offer some of your talents to the community? Think of it that way. It will be incredibly fulfilling and even if you're not that successful, you can still possibly make enough to supplement your inheritance for the rest of your life. Or you can grow it and SELL IT and then be set until your next venture years down the road.

You have a lot of freedom. Do something with it!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,060,132 times
If you have a tree what gives money when shake it in your back yard, then your choice not to work is okay, but don't forget may be you have money to day to travel to go shopping, but if you don't invest those in right way as you get some income you will be a biggest loser ever.
Quote:
She has said that I don't understand how the real world is. We get along off and on but this subject always comes up.
True you live in a dream. Please move out. Give them a little peace and grow up. By the way as you like traveling get a job at traveling programme by TV, you will be traveling you will be earning too how about that.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 AM

16,249 posts, read 10,254,420 times
I don't think it's jealousy. From the way you describe your relationship with your grandmother, I think she's really concerned about you not having a job.

I don't know how old she is or her background but if she grew up with not very much, she could be concerned that you're living on the edge financially and another decent recession or stock market crash or whatever could pull the rug out from under you.

If you do some volunteer work, it'll show her you're responsible and not just flittering your life away.

Either way, you know your life style bothers her. Avoid mentioning it as much as possible and if/when she brings it up, just respond and change the subject.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:42 AM

23,553 posts, read 33,276,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
If you have the money to be able to live off investment income then why work? If I were in a position that I did not need to work I probably would not.

Maybe everyone is jealous of your leisure class status.
This is what I'd go with. If I could avoid the exploitation-fest that is the American workplace and live good, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Grandma probably does not have a clue of what the workplace is like today.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 AM

4,257 posts, read 3,890,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
If you have the money to be able to live off investment income then why work? If I were in a position that I did not need to work I probably would not.

Maybe everyone is jealous of your leisure class status.
Bwahaha, I could be given a million dollar check once a month, and I would still work. I can't think of a reason besides retirmentto not work. I agree with the other posters, there probably is jealousy, I feel that way wyen it seems like people who dint deserve such wealth just has it given to them, but I guess that's a poor persons mentality. All these ideas I have and things I want to venture, busines plans, while I feel like I'm stuck, poor, living in the projects as other people are just handed money and live hedonisticly. I deserve one of these breaks.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:55 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,464,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Move out,do everyone a favor..There's two sides to every story and I bet if theirs was told they wouldn't mesh up.
I bet they're tired of waiting for you to grow up...
Move out of their own house?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 AM

5,498 posts, read 8,824,586 times
Since Grandma doesn't live with you just tell her you are working at some mundane job so she will be able to find something else to worry about.

If I had a couple million you can bet I would not be working. If you have enough money that you will never need to work then why on earth would you?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:13 AM

37,821 posts, read 14,704,827 times
When grandma gets in your face about not working, tell her you are writing a novel. Whip out a notebook and write down some of her choice tidbits. Say, "Oh, Nana, you are such a character."

I imagine it will be easy to sell the notion to your family that you write fiction.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,879,432 times
Just live your life OP. Just don't be stupid with the gift you've been given. It would be pretty shameful if in a few years you were broke, having frittered it all away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or