Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not so sure about that. In my world, money is not everything. It's not even in the top 3 of things.
I think most people would love to have someone who is financially independent and responsible with her money as she seems to be. If she ever gets married she wont' have to worry about putting her kids in daycare until school age since she doesn't work and she can instill her values in her kids instead of having the daycare (society) do so. Definitely marriage material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's actually worse than that - she's the friend who took all her friends on vacation. With that kind of money can you ever really be sure of who your true friends are?
Well since they were already friends BEFORE she took them on this trip, I don't see how you can say they are friends just because of the money, especially since she never indicated that she ALWAYS spends money on her friends.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Something just crossed my mind. The OP mentioned perhaps opening a business in the future, and creating jobs. Of course, that would be a good thing. But I think most of us have probably had the experience of working for someone who's never performed our jobs, and makes unreasonable demands because of that. I wonder what it would be like to work for someone who had never had any kind of job at all? By starting a life of leisure right off the bat, she's going to have a hard time understanding things that most of us take for granted.

Edit: Before I get jumped on again, I've said all along she shouldn't take a paying job away from someone.
Volunteering somewhere coluld be looked at as furthering her education!

Last edited by subject2change; 10-18-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 11:20 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
He really should have donated that to charity. What you needed to inherit was a swift kick in the rear.

Working is a thing that turns you into an adult. Right now, you are a drain on society. You contribute nothing. Your largest activity is turning food into poop.

Quite frankly, I would disown any child that was so irresponsible. Doing things that you like is not the same as not being lazy, it is the definition of being lazy. It was a waste for you to even go to college since you are not putting the education to use.
How is she a drain on society? She almost certainly pumps more into the economy than most people. And people should not do what they like if they can because they are automatically lazy?!? Everyone should be miserable and not even work at jobs they like, only at jobs they loathe. It makes you so much better and stronger if you can toil through 40 or 50 years of work hating every second of it.

And how was it a waste to go to college? It's about improving oneself, not just getting a job.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-18-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if they let me do anything i wanted and be a baby at 25 i would not love them.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if they let me do anything i wanted and be a baby at 25 i would not love them.
How are they letting her do "anything she wants" and "be a baby"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
& That is your opinion and I don't call it dumb! That is MY opinion, and you don't get to insult me for having it. I don't believe in "investing" period.
No one should invest? Hahaha. Do you have a 401K? I've seen some crazy things on here, but that's really absurd.

Some major jealousy issues here.

OP, you don't have to work but I think you should do something - not necessarily work, but something. You have the luxury of being able to be less productive than most people but don't be completely unproductive. You do need some kind of purpose.

Like others have mentioned, make sure you have health insurance at all times. I'd also point out that starting a business may be a good idea, as others have said, but they usually fail and you should limit the money you invest into any business and get help from people who know what they're doing if you choose to go down that path. You don't want to squander all your money.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-18-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 12:40 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
I think you should just sit down with Grandma and tell her, "Grandma, I love you. But I am an adult now, and I make my own life choices. You aren't always going to agree with my choices, and that is OK. Can we just enjoy our time together without all of these critical remarks?"

Your choice to not work is yours to make. As long as you aren't expecting anyone else to pay your way, it is really no one's business.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:17 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I think you should just sit down with Grandma and tell her, "Grandma, I love you. But I am an adult now, and I make my own life choices. You aren't always going to agree with my choices, and that is OK. Can we just enjoy our time together without all of these critical remarks?"

Your choice to not work is yours to make. As long as you aren't expecting anyone else to pay your way, it is really no one's business.
The above is the kind of post that should have been posted...305 posts ago.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
IMO, the way the OP is living isn't the real world, as the grandma said... Now if granny is being aggressive while saying that, that's not cool... But there definitely is some truth to it.
Through no fault of her own, the OP will never really know the struggle most of us face. Especially since her fortune was inherited.
Now it's great that she is investing and has advisors to help with that... So there is good responsibility there... But she described herself as being productive by baking pies and traveling lol... Uhm, that's called a vacation. So you basically live a nonstop vacation. More power to her, but she shouldn't mistake that for being productive.

So while she shouldn't work if she doesn't want/need to and she isn't doing anything wrong, she has to face the fact that she will never really know the real world.

I would defend myself if I were in her shoes. She bought a house which is a nice move... Investing other parts of it... Granny is probably just sour that a younger girl is gonna get a bit of an easier pass on life.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
OP... I got it! Just tell grandma that you're collecting bunches of sour grapes and you almost have enough to open up a whin-ery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships