U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 AM

3,695 posts, read 4,075,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Excuse me! I was simply saying that I may have repeated another person's thought! My post responded to the original post. Sheesh.
Yes, I understand what you said. It's just that it's REALLY annoying to read many other posts, in addition to yours, where only the OP was read...no follow up posts, no other commentary...you're not adding anything and it's not relevant. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM

6,784 posts, read 3,766,204 times
Perhaps grandma is concerned because you're a girl? When my brother and I got our inheritance he basically was allowed Cart Blanche where I was basically tied to our dad. When I had a meeting with my advisor he'd go with me. My brother didn't "need' him to go. When my brother bought his house nobody said a word. When I bought , " wanted " to buy mine he went over it with a fine tooth comb. My brother and I are both college educated and he's only 10 minutes older than me, but I guess having a penis makes him smarter or less likely to screw up.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM

9,975 posts, read 4,584,513 times
nah, he just doesn't care if your brother screws up, but he'd prefer if you didn't :P

Old 10-21-2014, 08:48 AM

15,691 posts, read 26,663,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Perhaps grandma is concerned because you're a girl? When my brother and I got our inheritance he basically was allowed Cart Blanche where I was basically tied to our dad. When I had a meeting with my advisor he'd go with me. My brother didn't "need' him to go. When my brother bought his house nobody said a word. When I bought , " wanted " to buy mine he went over it with a fine tooth comb. My brother and I are both college educated and he's only 10 minutes older than me, but I guess having a penis makes him smarter or less likely to screw up.
Neighbors from when I was growing up has a son and a daughter. Both kids went on to become Engineers. The daughter became an Electrical Engineer. Both went to work for Government contractors just like their dad did. The daughter was always trying to get her dads approval and would learn to do all the things that he did and more. He had an airplane, she bought her own. He flew, she learned how to fly everything from single engine fixed wing on up to 747's. This was an accomplished girl. She had invested her own money into rentals, was invested in the stock market. She never married but financially was not doing too bad. Her brother, although not as accomplished as her, did very well also. Both became millionaires on their own.

When the dad passed away he left everything to the daughter. The reason? Girls can't make it on their own while boys are supposed to become self made. This was not a small inheritance either. He had owned his own business, large hangar at the airport. The family had a 1,500 or so acre ranch in Colorado, homes in California.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:55 AM

1,948 posts, read 3,281,160 times
That's awesome OP! I wish I was in the same situation, but here I am toiling away for the "man" in a job I hate.

You mentioned A LOT of things you enjoy doing, if the time ever comes, you can turn that hobby into a job!

The apple pies you make? Why don't you start selling them?! Or set up a nice webpage to sell them!? Gardening? You can start a landscaping business, not doing the dirty work, but helping design.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,331,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
I don't work at all and this upsets my family though more so my grandmother. I'm 25 and have never had a job (besides babysitting a few times) though I did graduate from college. During the first half of my junior year my grandpa passed away and I got an inheritance. After graduating, I chose not to apply for jobs. Instead, I travelled and decided to hold off working. Perfect decision for me, but my family doesn't think so.

My dad is upset I don't work but he's more passive aggressive about it. My mom is nicer about it and doesn't care too much but she still worries me and mentions me picking up a job here and there. My grandma (on my dad's side) has been awful to me about it. She's an opinionated, very in-your-face, blunt person and she thinks I'm lazy and constantly tells me that I need to be working and that I need to have a job.

For the past two years I have been traveling and not home much. I went to Europe and Australia and spent some time there so I haven't had to be around the criticism a lot, but when I have come home for holidays I get cornered and my grandma has "blown up" and brought up the laziness and job thing. It seems like I'm not even allowed to chime in or have an opinion on anything because I don't work. She has said that I don't understand how the real world is. We get along off and on but this subject always comes up.

I don't consider myself lazy. I don't work but my life is active. I travel, I cook and I enjoy camping and things like that. I also love gardening and shopping. I save my money but I also invest. True, I was lazy this summer. I now have a house in North Carolina and I fixed it up, furnished it and slept late every day. My favorite part of the afternoon was enjoying sweet tea on my porch and baking apple pies So I guess you can say I was semi-lazy, but still productive. To be honest I feel like I am just enjoying my life and doing things I want to do.

I love my family and want to visit more but I am tired of my grandma's negativity and opinions. I want a way to tell her to stop and to mind her own business but I don't want to disrespect her either. I am happy with my life and I wish she could see that but I don't know how. Is there any way I can do that? She's obsessed with people working.
As long as your have money to support yourself it is one of there business. I would do volunteer work if possible, but, that is just me.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM

4,530 posts, read 276,576 times
If you don't need to work, don't work. I agree about letting someone who really needs a job have the job you might take. Live a practical life style and enjoy these years. Maybe think about just getting a part time job doing something you enjoy. The saying is to find something you love to do and then find a way to make money doing it. Perhaps you could find a way to be self employed. Many many people would love to have the opportunity you've been given. Traveling and living a lifestyle you really enjoy is just not common for most people.
I don't know what to recommend for your family. Ignore them when they harp at you about it, if you can. Keep in touch but end the conversation when they start talking to you about working. Whatever you think will work to give both you and them some peace of mind.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 AM

9,041 posts, read 8,285,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
If you don't need to work, don't work. I agree about letting someone who really needs a job have the job you might take. Live a practical life style and enjoy these years. Maybe think about just getting a part time job doing something you enjoy. The saying is to find something you love to do and then find a way to make money doing it. Perhaps you could find a way to be self employed. Many many people would love to have the opportunity you've been given. Traveling and living a lifestyle you really enjoy is just not common for most people.
I don't know what to recommend for your family. Ignore them when they harp at you about it, if you can. Keep in touch but end the conversation when they start talking to you about working. Whatever you think will work to give both you and them some peace of mind.
Even though this isn't the point of the OP, everyone needs a purpose, something fulfilling in their life. It doesn't have to generate income, you don't have to earn money, however, you can't spend 365 days a year, for the next 60 years, travelling and shopping and baking pies. At some point, even with no money worries, that life is going to become very unfulfilling. If you think about people with money, they are philanthropists, they give, volunteer, set up scholarships, etc. Celebrities with millions who've earned it through acting in movies, for example, don't just sit around on their piles of money, whooping it up. They get involved in causes, trying to make a difference in the world. Heck, even people like Paris and Nicky Hilton, who were nobodies but come from wealth, they start clothing lines, perfume lines, purses, etc.

The point is that I think there are very few people who are well-off that just bask in their money and have nothing else to fill their days but checking their bank accounts and investment statements. I'm guessing that is what grandma is getting at. Maybe she used the word work, but I'll bet she meant do something with purpose.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Even though this isn't the point of the OP, everyone needs a purpose, something fulfilling in their life. It doesn't have to generate income, you don't have to earn money, however, you can't spend 365 days a year, for the next 60 years, travelling and shopping and baking pies. At some point, even with no money worries, that life is going to become very unfulfilling. If you think about people with money, they are philanthropists, they give, volunteer, set up scholarships, etc. Celebrities with millions who've earned it through acting in movies, for example, don't just sit around on their piles of money, whooping it up. They get involved in causes, trying to make a difference in the world. Heck, even people like Paris and Nicky Hilton, who were nobodies but come from wealth, they start clothing lines, perfume lines, purses, etc.

The point is that I think there are very few people who are well-off that just bask in their money and have nothing else to fill their days but checking their bank accounts and investment statements. I'm guessing that is what grandma is getting at. Maybe she used the word work, but I'll bet she meant do something with purpose.
DING DING DING DING! We have a winner.

THIS is the point and is likely all grandma has been trying to tell the grand-daughter.

Make your life count for something, don't be all "me, me, me".

Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,882,389 times
OP hasn't posted in this thread in several days. Don't think she's really that worried about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or