U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,978 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Reputation: 12872

Advertisements

My siblings and I are trustfund babies but we can only withdraw money at certain age. I STILL prefer to work independently. I need a direction in life and need a sense of accomplishment. I want to be able to tell people "look this is what I have created. All by myself." instead of "my parents bought this for me."

My sister hasn't worked for the past several years, but she always complains and is always depressed. We wanted her to get a job, any job to occupy her time. I think maybe your family wants the same thing. They just want you to do something.

I will always work I love working. I like working from projects to projects, business to business. I want to start something, make it successful and jump to something else.

If you are happy with your life right now, just ignore what they have to say.

I get stressed out because of my businesses. SOME people always ask "Why do you worry? gee, just ask your parents, ask your brothers for money." It is hard for me because everybody defines success in his or her own way. Even I get stressed out, I feel fulfilled. My life is my canvas, I color it however I want.

p.s. Just to clarify. I don't mean to judge you op. If travel makes you happy, do it. Your family might not know exactly makes you happy. But I am sure they all care about you. Just ignore what they have to say and live the life you want to live.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-15-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
15,894 posts, read 12,699,980 times
Reputation: 31047
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My siblings and I are trustfund babies but we can only withdraw money at certain age. I STILL prefer to work independently. I need a direction in life and need a sense of accomplishment. I want to be able to tell people "look this is what I have created. All by myself." instead of "my parents bought this for me."

My sister hasn't worked for the past several years, but she always complains and is always depressed. We wanted her to get a job, any job to occupy her time. I think maybe your family wants the same thing. They just want you to do something.

I will always work I love working. I like working from projects to projects, business to business. I want to start something, make it successful and jump to something else.

If you are happy with your life right now, just ignore what they have to say.
OP is not complaining about depression.

And you mentioned somewhere else you had to borrow money to work INDEPENDENTLY ...so you are NOT independent.

Totally different situation. OP didn't borrow. No trust fund. She is set for life. NOW and not later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,840 posts, read 25,215,602 times
Reputation: 26176
If you have more than enough money to last the rest of your life, great. You can do whatever you please and smile all the way to the bank. It's great fantasy of mine to be in your position and I'd probably prefer baking pies and traveling to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,978 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Reputation: 12872
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
OP is not complaining about depression.

And you mentioned somewhere else you had to borrow money to work INDEPENDENTLY ...so you are NOT independent.

Totally different situation. OP didn't borrow. No trust fund. She is set for life. NOW and not later on.
I am just telling op that maybe her family just wants her to do something. I also mentioned "if you are happy with your life right now ignore what they have to say."

sheesh Nobody is set for life. NO ONE. If she doesn't know how to hold on to her money, she would be screwed later in life. But that is another topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
15,894 posts, read 12,699,980 times
Reputation: 31047
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am just telling op that maybe her family just wants her to do something. I also mentioned "if you are happy with your life right now ignore what they have to say."

sheesh Nobody is set for life. NO ONE. If she doesn't know how to hold on to her money, she would be screwed later in life. But that is another topic
She said she invested with the help of a financial advisor who said she is set for life. She could just live off the interest or renting out places.

It's not like she throws all money out of the window and will knock on her parents door in a few years, asking for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,978 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Reputation: 12872
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
She said she invested with the help of a financial advisor who said she is set for life. She could just live off the interest or renting out places.

It's not like she throws all money out of the window and will knock on her parents door in a few years, asking for money.
Good for her then. People are here to tell her maybe her family members genuinely care about her. MAYBE just MAYBE not everybody is jealous?!

Her grandmother is jealous of her? for what. She also said she loves her family. well maybe she just needs to communicate with them better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 AM
 
4,351 posts, read 3,220,068 times
Reputation: 7346
You said a professional financial planner told you that you have enough money to live on for the rest of your life. Good for you!

Since you are happy with your life as it is, just do what you want. That's what we all want.

Going forward, do not tell people your business. There are lots of jealous people out there who will resent you, and want you to be just as miserable as they are in their jobs. Stop telling grandma what you are doing.

Last edited by Sage 80; 10-15-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times
Reputation: 9611
My answer was, don't get a paid job, but do volunteer, and do something constructive. Am I jealous? No. Would I have been jealous at 25? Absolutely, and I wouldn't have seen the value of doing something to help out in the world, that isn't necessarily all fun. But a few decades later, if all I had to look back on a was a lifetime made up only of of travel, baking, etc, I'd feel like I should have done more. It would seem very empty to me. My paid jobs weren't the greatest, but they gave me a measure of what I could do that I might not have realized I was capable of. And the volunteer work? It's been fun, difficult, joyous, heartbreaking, and a great growing and learning experience I wouldn't have missed out on for the world. I've helped out a lot by doing it, and I've helped myself even more. My opinion, at this stage of life, is if you haven't challenged yourself with things that aren't always pleasant and relaxing, you're really missing out. This is similar to what my dad would have told me when I was young. I rolled my eyes at that stuff. But the old man was smarter than I thought. We're being asked for our opinions here, and that's mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
15,894 posts, read 12,699,980 times
Reputation: 31047
I think that her family only sees her travel and spend money and doesn't know she also invested and took care of her future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM
 
2,303 posts, read 2,248,297 times
Reputation: 3832
I'll just point out the one simple fact.

If you get some experience now, you can always choose to not work(or only work the jobs you find interesting). If you don't get a job now though, you'll lack the experience to get one later.

I'm curious if you have enough money to sit on for the rest of your life including retirement, keeping in mind that due to your lack of income, you won't have much in the way of SS to rely on.

Also, if you plan on having kids at some point, don't forget that they are really expensive.

To the people saying OP is set for life:
She never said she was and neither did the Financial Planner. The exact phrase was a "long, long, long time." I could say 40 years is a "long, long, long time" but at 25, that would probably not be for life. I'm also curious what assumptions regarding lifestyle choices the FP used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top