Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:12 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,792,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In your 3rd paragraph you seem to know about everyone's discomfort...
Yet somehow it's wrong for the OP to make her own choice. Go figure.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:15 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,173,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
LOL. I can totally relate, Lilac.
I can't even stand a doctor doing a breast exam. I turn green and feel like I'm going to pass out. I had fibrocystic breast disease before the change and the pressing and mashing was unbearable. Imagine breastfeeding with that. My mother tried with my eldest sib and said it was excruciating. If the OP wants to give it a try, more power to her, but if the thought of it skeeves her out, that's okay. As Fleetie said, it's the physical touch and closeness that matters most.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM

9,966 posts, read 15,570,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My SIL bottle-fed my niecephews, which was fine, but it drove my mom crazy that she rarely held the babies while they were feeding. She'd just plop them in the punkin seat, pop the bottle in their mouths, and walk off. My mom didn't want to be the kind of MIL who criticized, but she would always say (in private,) "you have to hold the baby while they're eating! Talk to them, sing to them! It's important!"
No, you can't prop the bottle, lol. I never did that. I always held them.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,655,232 times
To feed a child formula instead of breast milk (when you can produce milk) is child abuse and neglect. It is disgusting that any of you would say you wouldn't breastfeed your child because you don't like the idea of it or it is uncomfortable, how selfish can you be? Why would you want to increase your childs chances of having infection, allergies and other chronic conditions? To people that say it should be her choice because it is her child, that excuse could be used for any child abuse. "I wanted to lock my child in a dark room for three days and it's my child so it's my choice." None of you would accept that. If you don't want to breastfeed a child, don't have a child. It would help us all out anyway.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 PM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
To feed a child formula instead of breast milk (when you can produce milk) is child abuse and neglect. It is disgusting that any of you would say you wouldn't breastfeed your child because you don't like the idea of it or it is uncomfortable, how selfish can you be? Why would you want to increase your childs chances of having infection, allergies and other chronic conditions? To people that say it should be her choice because it is her child, that excuse could be used for any child abuse. "I wanted to lock my child in a dark room for three days and it's my child so it's my choice." None of you would accept that. If you don't want to breastfeed a child, don't have a child. It would help us all out anyway.
what an utter judgmental load of crap. not breast feeding and putting a child in a dark room for 3 days are two completely totally different things. get a grip

Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,744,173 times
Quote:
What a load of bee ess. Not nursing has no comparison to being abusing and neglectful.

I breast fed all of my kids until 13-14 months, and guess what? One suffered from horrible ear infections well into elementary school (complete with ear tubes twice), and another has allergies.

My mother did not breast feed me. I was most definitely NOT abused NOR neglected - ever!

Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 PM

How is predisposing a child to chronic health conditions that can be easily prevented not a form of abuse? When religious people don't give their kids healthcare they need because they don't believe in it, people call that abuse.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
What a load of bee ess. Not nursing has no comparison to being abusing and neglectful.

I breast fed all of my kids until 13-14 months, and guess what? One suffered from horrible ear infections well into elementary school (complete with ear tubes twice), and another has allergies.

My mother did not breast feed me. I was most definitely NOT abused NOR neglected - ever!
Where did I say every kid that was breastfed would be the pinnacle of health and every kid who wasn't wouldn't be fine? I said it increases the odds.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Please tell me you did not seriously just equate formula feeding with locking a child in a closet for 3 days. Seriously? You are what is wrong with the world. MYOB.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheartsandrainbows View Post

uh, we are getting legally married in three weeks, so no, doubt he's going anywhere.
we are having an actual wedding later, just getting the paperwork done before our baby gets here
this isn't something we're gonna break up over, geez. i'm not even bossy
This is just something we disagree on & his family gets judgy about.

Free advice when seeking opinions on the internet: When you read the advice of a poster who uses the word "feministy" and that poster thinks a woman with an opinion is a bossy woman who is going to lose her man..... keep scrolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.