U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM

15,968 posts, read 12,736,940 times

Advertisements

I don't quite understand.

You are not American according to your writing style.

You are from somewhere in Europe, currently living in Germany. And you are expressing your complaints on an American forum? Why??

Germans are very outspoken and tell you right away what they like and don't like. It's their culture (I am German). Doesn't necessarily mean they don't like you. They just don't hold anything in like Americans usually do. That's why they often get called "rude" by Americans. It is worse in other European countries though.

Take it or leave it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:37 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,775,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't quite understand.

You are not American according to your writing style.

You are from somewhere in Europe, currently living in Germany. And you are expressing your complaints on an American forum? Why??

Germans are very outspoken and tell you right away what they like and don't like. It's their culture (I am German). Doesn't necessarily mean they don't like you. They just don't hold anything in like Americans usually do. That's why they often get called "rude" by Americans. It is worse in other European countries though.

Take it or leave it .
Can't I express myself in an American forum just because I am not American? You are not either. I am not talking about German personality but this woman personality.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Also, Germans are very specific when it comes to utilities:

They usually turn the water off while brushing teeth. They only shower for a few minutes. Don't let the water run too long in general or you can see them counting the wasted Euros in their mind.

They turn the lights off if they leave a room.
Turn the heaters off if not in the room or not at home.
Don't turn heaters on and have windows open. Maybe just air out once a day for a bit.

These are all things that have to get communicated. Don't get offended if they tell you the houserules.

Everybody has their own little specifics of course. But generally, Germans are very utility saving people.

Honestly, if I go in the bathroom and the lid is open every time, I would tell you as well to put it down.

And she might have put the note onto the radiator so you don't forget - not because she thinks you already forgot.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Can't I express myself in an American forum just because I am not American? You are not either. I am not talking about German personality but this woman personality.
You want advice about Germans in an American forum. That's kinda unusual.

You are better off asking other Germans about German personalities and their culture.

I live in the US.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM

10,976 posts, read 4,828,298 times
I'm just cringing at how she wraps foods 2-3 times... so wasteful! ! >_<

Quote:
Also, Germans are very specific when it o utilities:

They usually turn the water off while brushing teeth. They only shower for a few minutes. Don't let the water run too long in general or you can see them counting the wasted Euros in their mind.

Don't turn heaters on and have windows open. Maybe just air out once a day for a bit.

These are all things that have to get communicated. Don't get offended if they tell you the houserules.

Everybody has their own little specifics of course. But generally, Germans are very utility saving people.

Honestly, if I go in the bathroom and the lid is open every time, I would tell you as well to put it down.

And she might have put the note onto the radiator so you don't forget - not because she thinks you already forgot.
These are all common sense... is this not common knowledge?

I could see how OP would find it annoying to be nagged about them.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm just cringing at how she wraps foods 2-3 times... so wasteful! ! >_<

These are all common sense... is this not common knowledge?

I could see how OP would find it annoying to be nagged about them.
No, this is not common knowledge.

I rented out rooms in the US and decided to no longer do it for most of the above reasons.

I still think it would make more sense to post this in a German forum.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Also, Germans are very specific when it comes to utilities:

They do not care about lights at all in this house, the kitchen is always illuminated as well as the corridos, they don't have a shower just a few minutes, but half an hour, etc... I think you should read all the thread to know what I am complaining about.

But again, I am living in Germany but I don't complain about Germans, it was just a point (it looks that it offendes you)

Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM

I announced on Sunday that I move to another place, because my boyfriend lives also in the city but we do not share apartment (what is true) she said she understands but she didn't like the news because she has to find a new person and she doesn't have time! (my contract says I can announce with 2 weeks in advance) and she says 3 months.

But it is fine, I will live here just until before Christmas. I hope these two months are not so complicated.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM

575 posts, read 1,044,628 times
Good luck, I hope you get your situation figured out.

I'm a neat-freak and get a little worked up over messes. I've gotten much better in the last year but that's because I thought my husband was going to strangle me if I didn't stop hounding him all the time (even though I feel it was totally justified). Point is, either both parties have to be willing to compromise or you're just not compatible. I mean it is a bit hypocritical to nag at someone about bread crumbs on the counter when you're leaving your dirty panties in the shared bathroom.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:39 AM

Some months later I want to update this story, I left that house on Christmas Eve and I rented one for myself and y boyfriend.
The goodbye was friendly we were drinking some wine and eating some Christmas cookies, but I haven't seen this woman any more (she was always busy), just some whatsapps text.
Nowadays I am back home and my German adventure is over, no regret and was everything good, but life goes on!

Quote:
No, this is not common knowledge.

I rented out rooms in the US and decided to no longer do it for most of the above reasons.

I still think it would make more sense to post this in a German forum.
Yes it is, not only Germans do things well did you know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships