Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,367,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
Thanks so much! I was stuck on what to say (and to lie and was trying to make up an excuse) and you guys made it so simple. I emailed her and asked how she was doing. And said 'I'm sorry but I won't be able to make it this year. Good luck and hope you have fun!

I just hope she doesnt start to dig in and ask why, what i'm doing that day by the hour. If that occurs, then what's the appropriate response? Would it be as simple to just say I have plans or I'm busy.
Just say you have family or friends in town for the weekend and are spending that time with them. Please let us know if she questions further, I'd be amazed if she had that nerve lol.

We have a fundraiser at work coming up that I didn't want to attend for reasons I won't get into, but I just scheduled a test I needed to take that day so it made saying no easy lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,408,889 times
I actually asked a counselor a million years ago how to say no to people in these kinds of situations. She said, as someone else mentioned above, to just say I have other plans. She said you don't have to explain what those plans are, and even if my plans are just to stay home in my pajamas, that's okay.

And if they press for an explanation, just say, Oh, they're private and change the subject. But, she also told me that as soon as they hear "no," they're not thinking about you anymore after that point anyway, usually. And she was right.

My best friend is Canadian, and her favorite two things to say to people who want help or money, etc., is to say, "Sorry, I can't fit that into my schedule," or "Sorry, that's not in my budget."

If people press, just repeat yourself and change the subject again, or close by saying, "Good luck, I have to go now."

Someone as bold as the woman you describe, is someone who has NO trouble saying no to people herself, you can bet.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,648,464 times
You don't need lies or explanations -- just say, "I have other plans that day, I won't be able to help." (Who schedules a meeting at 9 AM on a Sunday morning?!)

She sounds like a rather good organizer, in being able to get people to help. Maybe she needs to be channeling that talent for good, instead of for evil. :-)

Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 PM

156 posts, read 269,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
How did she get on your company intranet network? Do you work for the same company?
She did at the time work for the same company. Since then, she moved to another company.

So, she responded saying, no problem and we will miss you. Yeah, small crisis solved with limited explanation and no lying.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,750,187 times
Quote:
Thanks so much! I was stuck on what to say (and to lie and was trying to make up an excuse) and you guys made it so simple. I emailed her and asked how she was doing. And said 'I'm sorry but I won't be able to make it this year. Good luck and hope you have fun!

I just hope she doesnt start to dig in and ask why, what i'm doing that day by the hour. If that occurs, then what's the appropriate response? Would it be as simple to just say I have plans or I'm busy.
For future reference, if asked if you can do something you'd rather not do, just say thanks for asking, but you have a prior commitment. That prior commitment can be sitting on your couch in your pjs.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:44 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,456,844 times
Remember when you say you have other things to do, if the person continues to ask what they are, they are being intrusive. At this point, they do not deserve any details and a simple "this is personal" is all they deserve.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,256,651 times
"I'm sorry, I'm not available to help."

Period.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,116,184 times
I would probably tell her that you aren't planning to participate this year, and that you might have been able to help if you'd had more notice, or something like that. It sounds like a committee needs to be formed ahead of time, not at the last minute when she realizes she can't do it alone; or maybe a coordinated volunteer and RSVP list, like when you agree to come, you also agree to contribute to the set up or clean up.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 AM

6,537 posts, read 8,351,259 times
Quote:

Don't respond to the email. It's not her business to know why you're not available - just that you're not.

Many are suggesting expanding upon why you don't want to help - it doesn't need to be expanded upon. Less is more. Nor do you need to lie or make excuses. A simple "I'm unable to help out." should suffice in a situation like this.

Last edited by HokieFan; 10-20-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 AM

12,054 posts, read 10,234,572 times
Quote:

I would tell her the truth.
You suck at organizing and it stresses me out! I did that to one group I joined and I felt so relieved to be done with them. I do give monetary donations through the year, just not my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships