Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i wonder about requests.
if the gestapo ever takes over, its going to be really easy to round us up.

I don't think we have much to worry about from old Germans in their 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
you have a choice, to accept it, or not? BOOM!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Today I have a request from an classmate from grade school wanting to add me. The thing is I never hung out with him and he was one of the tough guy sorta bully types. I vaguely remember him threatening to fight me in 8th grade because his sister didn't like me. He had 2 sisters and we were in 8th grade. His one sister had an issue with me and i never even talked to her she was in 6th grade i believe. They were just a typical troublemaker family I guess. He didn't mess with me or anything really besides that one time i think he said " i'll f you up if you mess with my sister or something" I don't remember really I'm 36 now way too far back.

Anyway why would he want to add me?

And this brings up another subject. What if you found an old classmate on Facebook that actually got into a physical fight with you? Would you be compelled to say something to them? I found a guy that sucker punched me and ran away and used to mess with me in the lunch room. He used to spit in my lunch tray and say are you gonna eat that?

We were in 4-5th grade and again we are 36 years old now.

When i was a kid in late grade school high school i admit i was a dork and an easy target. I was tall and stick skinny and my teeth were kinda messed up. All that has changed now that I'm older.

So do you forget these things because we were kids at the time? It doesn't bother me I just have a great memory I remember the good and the bad things from my childhood.
The two bolded comments contradict each other, but that is a small point.

The larger point is in red.
Just as you have changed( presumably for the better), maybe these other people have matured and changed as well.

While I am not into the facebook thing, I did participate with Classmates.com because of school reunion notification at the behest of a friend/former classmate.
I had all sorts of people reaching out to me that I didn't even remember. Even at the reunion I attended, people knew me, but I could not place them other than them telling a story about a teacher or rivalry game I participated in.
I'm sure many of them were hanging with different crowds rather than my circle of "jocks", but they obviously remembered me, and I showed them respect as a result. Many of them had changed both mentally and physically as most of us do. So before you assume that the jerks in HS are the same now as they were then, empathize and realize that just as you have matured, so to have they in all probability.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:46 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
We left NJ when I was 15 . At the time I just wanted to make a new start, and some were oddly jealous of our move. Now I wish I had stayed in contact with some of those people throughout my teens and 20s. I think it would have been a tremendous help. 70s Florida was quite the culture shock.

I've tried to connect with the fb page of what would have been my NJ HS grad class, but it is a very private, closed group.

The few people I do have contact with aren't in the group. And 3 of my best friends from that time have passed away (bad average!)

I would just like to thank some of them for things they don't know they did and tell them the move to Florida was not a good idea for me during that time, and that they had nothing to be jealous of. And I'd tell them I miss them and wish we'd stayed in touch. But I'll never get the chance, apparently.

And there's a good chance they wouldn't even remember me anyway.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Most of the people I went to grade school and middle school and actually hung out with are dead, because, well, we're from the middle of nowhere, and leaving us to our own devices wasn't always the best thing to do.
My freshman year of high school, I got arrested on Mother's Day, and that was kinda the final straw for my parents... they sent me off to a military school in Virginia.
I do get requests from people I went to that school with, and typically do add them... it's a bit of a different environment when it's people you're around 24/7... much different than doing the 8 - 3 routine and never associating with them otherwise.
The last classmate I saw from my freshman year down was actually on an episode of Cops. He wasn't a cop.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Usually if someone sends me a FB request and I don't talk to them, then I ignore it and it will just sit there. I have people on my FB that were close friends and we just stopped talking because one of us moved and my family members. And people I was close with in school. I wouldn't even have a FB, but I want to be able to reach out to family members and friends whenever I get married or when I have a baby, to be able to send out invitations.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Most of the people I went to grade school and middle school and actually hung out with are dead, because, well, we're from the middle of nowhere, and leaving us to our own devices wasn't always the best thing to do.
My freshman year of high school, I got arrested on Mother's Day, and that was kinda the final straw for my parents... they sent me off to a military school in Virginia.
I do get requests from people I went to that school with, and typically do add them... it's a bit of a different environment when it's people you're around 24/7... much different than doing the 8 - 3 routine and never associating with them otherwise.
The last classmate I saw from my freshman year down was actually on an episode of Cops. He wasn't a cop.
wow!!! I take it you must be up in your years reading most of your classmates from your early years have passed on.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
More like the classmates OD'd or got shot or became criminals, etc. At least that's what it sounds like to me!

By the time I was 16, I lost many friends to suicide, od's, car accidents where they were racing.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
People change a lot in almost 30 years. I accept all requests from schoolmates. Mostly the extent of the interaction is liking the ocassional photo or post. In some cases, there is really no interaction (I don't post a ton, neither do they). But every now and then, someone will post a photo or a story about something from back in grade school, and it's a joy to relive those memories.

A couple of times I've ended up ultimately hiding or defriending someone when they posted constantly on issues where we are 180 degrees apart and I just didn't want to read any more. But otherwise, it's been a very positive thing to reconnect, even in a limited way.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
NO, don't add him! He wasn't nice to you, so ignore him! As for the spit-lunch guy, ignore him, the creep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships