Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No you are not right. Men and women are simply different, not better - not worse.

When a person finds themselves truly homeless with no one to turn to it's generally because they have burned every bridge they ever had with their loved ones through issues like addiction and an unwillingness to face their problems and DO something about them.
Not true.

Shame, embarrassment, and relatives not living nearby are main factors. Or maybe they lack real friends and they don't have much or any family at all. In many cases it's limited choices and options are few.

It's also not always about addictions. Being without a job, i.e., lack of money, can be a major reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I doubt it. In my experience, men have always been easy for me to get along with. By far way more women are catty, petty, conniving, and just have a chip on their shoulder.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
It seems like women are easier to get along with while
men have a much more difficult time assimilating into
society. Am I right?

Men are more likely to be homeless for this reason. What
prevents men from being as well loved as women are.
Unfortunately...I think whether that's true or not depends on what the woman looks like. A beautiful woman will always have someone to take her in. She'll just have to lower her standards if her personality is rotten enough.

An ugly woman may not.

I've seen several smart men dating ugly women though...overweight women and women undesirable body structures and facial characteristics. So, maybe in that regard ugly women actually have an advantage. They'll be better able to filter out men who only care about their looks to find the ones who care about their personalities.

One example is I know this really good looking guy. He's kind of skinny, but he's handsome. He's dating this very overweight, but matriarch-type, funny, confident, intelligent, emotionally healthy woman. They're two very smart, non-shallow people and I think they deserve each other.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Unfortunately...I think whether that's true or not depends on what the woman looks like. A beautiful woman will always have someone to take her in. She'll just have to lower her standards if her personality is rotten enough.

An ugly woman may not.

I've seen several smart men dating ugly women though...overweight women and women undesirable body structures and facial characteristics. So, maybe in that regard ugly women actually have an advantage. They'll be better able to filter out men who only care about their looks to find the ones who care about their personalities.

One example is I know this really good looking guy. He's kind of skinny, but he's handsome. He's dating this very overweight, but matriarch-type, funny, confident, intelligent, emotionally healthy woman. They're two very smart, non-shallow people and I think they deserve each other.
Smart men see something in ugly women that is attractive that other men do not. That is not always the smart thing to do; sometimes it is superficial (ie. School Daze), but ugly women, if they are willing to adjust their standards to include smart men that aren't alpha males, bad boys, or overtly aggressive, do have a lot of options. Particularly if those ugly women are intelligent, or creative, artistic, ie. interesting in ways that your prototypical beautiful woman is not. On the other hand, when a beautiful woman is all of those things it is just icing on the cake, but because so women never lead with this you won't find out unless you spend a lot of time around her.

Nothing wrong with big girls; if they're interesting. Really depends on the personality and what piques my interest that determines my direction there. The bottom line is that the smart guy that is not patronizing a woman with a sincere, genuine interest in women will go a lot father than some nerd with an agenda or unresolved issues with the types of women that rejected him in the past.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Smart men see something in ugly women that is attractive that other men do not. That is not always the smart thing to do; sometimes it is superficial (ie. School Daze), but ugly women, if they are willing to adjust their standards to include smart men that aren't alpha males, bad boys, or overtly aggressive, do have a lot of options. Particularly if those ugly women are intelligent, or creative, artistic, ie. interesting in ways that your prototypical beautiful woman is not. On the other hand, when a beautiful woman is all of those things it is just icing on the cake, but because so women never lead with this you won't find out unless you spend a lot of time around her.

Nothing wrong with big girls; if they're interesting. Really depends on the personality and what piques my interest that determines my direction there. The bottom line is that the smart guy that is not patronizing a woman with a sincere, genuine interest in women will go a lot father than some nerd with an agenda or unresolved issues with the types of women that rejected him in the past.
It does take a great deal of immaturity and foolishness to date someone due to some sort of attempt to be a good person and feel sorry for the fat girl, yes. Anyone who does that is an idiot. We should be dating people we are attracted to. I've just been impressed by how some pretty good-looking men will marry women I don't find attractive much physically, and three of these women do seem to have excellent personalities.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
I think women have it much easier in today's society than men. That probably wasn't the case until the 70's or 80's. Today it seems women have 10x the friends men do (or maybe its just me). I have such a hard time making friends. My ex-wife got all of our 30-40 friends in the divorce, despite me not doing anything unforgivable to cause the divorce. It makes me cynical and sad. I live in a new city and I have maybe 3 friends, none of them the type to keep in touch or lose sleep if I was gone tomorrow.

Here's an example: I had a female friend in Atlanta who lived 3 doors down from me. She just passed away last week from a brain tumor. Very tragic. Her facebook page (I hate facebook because I can see how everyone's life is better than mine) is filled with comments from people who loved her, including my ex-wife. If I died tomorrow, nobody would care. Just seeing the outpouring of support and kind words for her made me realize I have nobody, truly nobody.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:08 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think women have it much easier in today's society than men. That probably wasn't the case until the 70's or 80's. Today it seems women have 10x the friends men do (or maybe its just me). I have such a hard time making friends. My ex-wife got all of our 30-40 friends in the divorce, despite me not doing anything unforgivable to cause the divorce. It makes me cynical and sad. I live in a new city and I have maybe 3 friends, none of them the type to keep in touch or lose sleep if I was gone tomorrow.

Here's an example: I had a female friend in Atlanta who lived 3 doors down from me. She just passed away last week from a brain tumor. Very tragic. Her facebook page (I hate facebook because I can see how everyone's life is better than mine) is filled with comments from people who loved her, including my ex-wife. If I died tomorrow, nobody would care. Just seeing the outpouring of support and kind words for her made me realize I have nobody, truly nobody.
I'm in the same boat and agree women have it easier. I'm sure some people do care about you. It's the only thing that keeps me going because I am not enjoying life.

I am alone most of the time. Being unemployed as I am now is not helping (very recently I was laid off due to budget cuts). I've made the effort to meet others but there is only so much rejection one can take. I've pretty much given up.
I do say hello to people when I'm on my daily walk around a popular lake but most do not return my greeting. It is very rare anyone says hello to me first and I will look at them, even if it's just a glance. When they pass me by almost always people on the trail either look down or look the other way. It's nothing personal, it's just the way society is today, or maybe it's the unfriendly area in where I live. And in keeping with the subject I also think being male has a lot to do with it too.

I count 6 real life friends, two live out of my area and I hardly see them and 3 are in relationships and have little to no time for me. The other I do not see very much.

I've been accepted here on City-Data by more than a few. While I appreciate many fine people here that is not the same as actual face to face contact. But I know in my heart at least a few would be sad if something happened to me. That likely holds true for you as well.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:39 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Personally, I've always felt women had a harder time getting along. Lots of back-stabbing and bickering. Very competitive.
Dudes do this, too. They one-up each other socially. In the workplace, they can be brutal. Competing for promotions, manipulating the boss and backstabbing their competition. They can be very insidious. Some humans are that way, some aren't. It's not gender-specific.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
In my old office workplace, the women's bathrooms were built directly alongside the men's. Something went wrong with the designer's plan, as every day, when you went to the bathroom to take your morning business, you could hear everything they were saying. God damn! It is so much more competitive being a woman than being a man. Literally anything is a cause for character desecration.

Then again, if you're a man and haven't done well, society says (and there are many examples on this forum) where it isn't other people that are to blame, but you're to blame. However, if you are a woman and haven't found the success you expected, you generally get more support and guidance, because suddenly you're perceived as fragile.

I think men have a hard time being accepted at first, ie. during their 20s. But as they get older, it becomes more difficult to distract a man, whereas women are thrown in the back seat as housewives and cashiers. Outclassing the male in some western cultures is taboo- it simply won't be tolerated if you earn more or have a stronger reputation. The way that younger men are treated today in society was a BIG eye opener to me, and especially in the way we treat young women.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM

295 posts, read 307,149 times
I think it's still harder for women in today's society. But nevertheless more men have a hard time stopping their self-victimization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships