U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 PM
 
51 posts, read 40,514 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

I called a relative on the phone and left him a message and it took him two weeks to get back to me.

How long should I wait before calling him back? A couple days? A week?

In the past, he would call me same day or the last day. I think he was offended because he called me one night awhile back and I had my phone turned off and I didn't get back to him until a couple days later so this was his way of "punishing" me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2014, 04:48 PM
 
2,620 posts, read 2,508,021 times
Reputation: 7207
It sounds like you're trying to play games with this person, because you think this person is trying to play games with you.

I'm not really an advocate for that type of passive manipulation. If you genuinely wanted to get hold of the person, then call them right back. If you're bothered because they took so long to call you back, then say so.

But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
42,639 posts, read 41,381,512 times
Reputation: 81963
Treat him the way you would want to be treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM
 
51 posts, read 40,514 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
It sounds like you're trying to play games with this person, because you think this person is trying to play games with you.

I'm not really an advocate for that type of passive manipulation. If you genuinely wanted to get hold of the person, then call them right back. If you're bothered because they took so long to call you back, then say so.

But that's just me.
I don't care for it either.

He thought I was playing games with him when I didn't get back to him right away one when he called and now he is playing games (taking longer and longer to get back to me even after I explained that my phone was turned off and thought we cleared this up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM
 
2,620 posts, read 2,508,021 times
Reputation: 7207
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny2412 View Post
I don't care for it either.

He thought I was playing games with him when I didn't get back to him right away one when he called and now he is playing games (taking longer and longer to get back to me even after I explained that my phone was turned off and thought we cleared this up).
I would be the bigger person. Not because it's the right thing to do, but also because if he really is doing what you say, nothing will infuriate him more than if you don't play along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Lincoln Park, Michigan
4,520 posts, read 276,529 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I would be the bigger person. Not because it's the right thing to do, but also because if he really is doing what you say, nothing will infuriate him more than if you don't play along.

Ditto. Plus, two wrongs really don't make a right. If he wants to be rude, that's on him. And that's what it is - rude. Show him you have better standards than he does. Your conscience will be clear while his won't be. It's amazing how much better your life is, and how much peace of mind you have, when you stop seeking passive aggressive revenge. Let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:25 PM
 
51 posts, read 40,514 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I would be the bigger person. Not because it's the right thing to do, but also because if he really is doing what you say, nothing will infuriate him more than if you don't play along.


I have a feeling that he will not answer (for legit reason or not) since it has been a few days and then call back when I am not available. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a month long game of phone tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 PM
 
51 posts, read 40,514 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
Ditto. Plus, two wrongs really don't make a right. If he wants to be rude, that's on him. And that's what it is - rude. Show him you have better standards than he does. Your conscience will be clear while his won't be. It's amazing how much better your life is, and how much peace of mind you have, when you stop seeking passive aggressive revenge. Let it go.

Good points. I will call him back but have a feeling it's going to be a game of phone tag. That's another reason I wanted to wait until the weekend because I'll have a better chance of getting ahold of him or vice versa but yeah that is too long to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 06:10 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times
Reputation: 39034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceege View Post
It's amazing how much better your life is, and how much peace of mind you have, when you stop seeking passive aggressive revenge.
Yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 PM
 
51 posts, read 40,514 times
Reputation: 23
I called him back and of course no answer. I left a message so the ball is in his court again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top