Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,003 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^^ Great Post !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
i have noticed the same thing as the poster, and it drives me crazy. To me it is an example of someone repeating a phrase in the wrong context and not even paying attention to what they are saying. The person appears to be conflating "i'll call you back" with what the listener might say as a response, that is, "oh, thanks, at your earliest convienience would be fine".

Because of this un-thinking mash-up, the result is that the speaker is unwittingly giving the response that he would expect to hear. The secondary result is that the listener thinks he is a dufus.
yes!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
I truly don't get it.

Would you rather me just say, "I'll call you back whenever I feel like it?" I mean, how else do I get it across to you people? I'm not going to say, "I'll call you back ASAP", because that's not true. I might not get back to you right away if I am already tied up.

Or is it that you expect your phone call to be expedited, and everything else go to the wayside because you think your call is that much more important than anything else I am doing?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:46 PM

22,555 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It is beyond me how some people get so bent out of shape over a stupid message on an answering machine or a voicemail.
My thought is a bit different...

It is beyond me why some people over-analyze a stupid message on an answering machine or a voicemail.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
I already explained it. I wasn't over-analyzing one stupid message. It was a trend I was noticing happening more and more, and I went from vaguely noticing it, to feeling a little teeny bit uneasy at hearing people say that, then I stepped back and examined the situation to wonder why I was getting that uneasy feeling. Then I concluded that it was because I was perceiving this practice as subtly rude. And it's pretty clear now that I'm not alone.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I truly don't get it.

Would you rather me just say, "I'll call you back whenever I feel like it?" I mean, how else do I get it across to you people? I'm not going to say, "I'll call you back ASAP", because that's not true. I might not get back to you right away if I am already tied up.
But if you are tied up then it's not yet "possible. " You are still calling the person back as soon as possible. ASAP doesn't mean "right away" it means as soon as possible.

Or is it that you expect your phone call to be expedited, and everything else go to the wayside because you think your call is that much more important than anything else I am doing?
No, my outgoing greeting/message says that I'll call back as soon as I am able. Saying "when I feel like it" or "when it's convenient for me" would just be rude.

It's not about me, as a caller, feeling like my call is the most important or should be expedited above all others, but about the other person's greeting implying that all of our calls are just something she will deal with when she deems it "convenient." We aren't supposed to attend to necessary work tasks when it's "convenient," but when they must be completed, taking into consideration that there are other entities, within our company and without, that are all interdependent on these tasks.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
it says something about the person who made the message.
someone that wants to feel more important than they are.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Whatever. Just consider me rude, then.

My earliest convenience is the closest beer store, and I am headed there.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
No, my outgoing greeting/message says that I'll call back as soon as I am able. Saying "when I feel like it" or "when it's convenient for me" would just be rude.

It's not about me, as a caller, feeling like my call is the most important or should be expedited above all others, but about the other person's greeting implying that all of our calls are just something she will deal with when she deems it "convenient." We aren't supposed to attend to necessary work tasks when it's "convenient," but when they must be completed, taking into consideration that there are other entities, within our company and without, that are all interdependent on these tasks.
That's obvious. Anyone with a work history knows that. Does it need to be spelled out on a voicemail message?

Man, you all read into things.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

You must feel like you're beating your head against the wall. The same people who think it's perfectly fine, and even normal, to say something like this in their outgoing greeting (and the ones accusing you of being too obsessive and "bent out of shape" for noticing that there's something wrong with it) are the ones who have absolutely no chance of understanding the point you are trying to get across.

Well, don't worry about it. I get it and I'm with you! Also, these writing, language and professionalism bloggers agree with you and have blogged about this issue before.

At Whose Earliest Convenience?
"At Your Earliest Convenience..." - RecruitingBlogs
The Language Guy: At Our Earliest Convenience
"at My Earliest Convenience" : I Hate Bad Grammar Story & Experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships