Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times

Advertisements

Wasn't quite sure how to word that subject line. I am curious, for those of you with adult children, how you make decisions on what responsibilities to give to your children (or other family members) when making your will.

I am the middle child-my sister is the oldest & my brother is the youngest. My mother informed me yesterday that she & my dad updated their will. She said if anything were to happen to both of them, my sister is in charge of the will (which makes sense since she's the oldest). She then said that if she (my mother) is no longer with us & my father is on life support, my sister also has the final say over pulling the plug. If it's my mother on life support, and my father is gone, then that final say is given to my brother.

I pray that it never comes to that, but I was a little taken back by the fact that they didn't entrust any responsibility to me. I do feel like my mother holds a bit of a grudge over the fact that I moved away (an entire HOUR) while my sister lives 5 minutes away, and my brother still lives at home...so could it be that? I make it a point to come up almost every weekend for a family dinner. I could understand if I was like the family 'mess up' or something but I am the most independant & financially responsible out of the 3 of us. I guess I'm just trying to understand their thought process here. I'm afraid to ask them as I don't want to make them feel like I'm mad or anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Funny you should ask, given that my wife and I are working on our estate planning right now.

Simply put? Our daughter is the most responsible of our three children, and the one with the most financial acumen. Mind you, I'd never tell my two sons that, but with a sizable enough estate, she's the one I'd trust to do it. We have commercial property, investments, IRAs, 401(k)s, and other assets.

Mind you, we're finishing drafting our will, so we'll be able to spell out in pretty clear terms what needs to be done. That way, if MrsCPG and I die at the same time, our daughter only has to manage the paperwork with the help of a good CPA and attorney. There would be plenty of cash to pay their fees. And because the distribution terms have been spelled out in the will, the potential for argument is minimized.

So while you might be the most dutiful child on the planet, you might not have quite the knowledge needed to navigate the complexity of handling an estate. If you are dealing with an estate with any complexity at all, it is a bear to handle. In that sense, especially if your sister is trustworthy and competent, you might thank your lucky stars that it's not your job to do.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Most in my circle name a sibling as executor, not one of our kids.
That way, situations like you describe are avoided.

If you want to know WHY your parents " didn't entrust any responsibility to" you, ask them. They know why.... we do not.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I wouldn't ask them. As you mentioned, it might be misinterpreted.

Just accept it. Trust me: it's not a pleasant position to be in when the time comes.

I'm the younger of 2 and was given medical power of attorney by my mother. (My father died 20+ yrs previously).

Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I'm co-executor, along with my oldest brother. My sister, who works as a geriatric social worker, was initially given the responsibility for medical decisions, but she lives several states away from my mother, so, as the closest child (4 hours away), that has also been designated to me.

We haven't named any one of our three sons to those roles, and we do need to. I think my husband and I would both lean towards our youngest son. He is very responsible, and doesn't have the responsibilities of his own family yet.

OP, you should encourage your parents to put their medical desires in writing, to spare the offspring the burden of making that type of decision.

I will also say, it wouldn't bother me at all if I had no responsibilities in regard to my parents' deaths. I saw how much work was involved when my husband had to settle his father's estate.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:37 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Wasn't quite sure how to word that subject line. I am curious, for those of you with adult children, how you make decisions on what responsibilities to give to your children (or other family members) when making your will.

I am the middle child-my sister is the oldest & my brother is the youngest. My mother informed me yesterday that she & my dad updated their will. She said if anything were to happen to both of them, my sister is in charge of the will (which makes sense since she's the oldest). She then said that if she (my mother) is no longer with us & my father is on life support, my sister also has the final say over pulling the plug. If it's my mother on life support, and my father is gone, then that final say is given to my brother.

I pray that it never comes to that, but I was a little taken back by the fact that they didn't entrust any responsibility to me. I do feel like my mother holds a bit of a grudge over the fact that I moved away (an entire HOUR) while my sister lives 5 minutes away, and my brother still lives at home...so could it be that? I make it a point to come up almost every weekend for a family dinner. I could understand if I was like the family 'mess up' or something but I am the most independant & financially responsible out of the 3 of us. I guess I'm just trying to understand their thought process here. I'm afraid to ask them as I don't want to make them feel like I'm mad or anything...
I am talking about me. For me I don't need any responsibilities such as pulling the plug for my parents because I know I cannot do that. you are lucky if your mother kept the grudges, it is never easy to pull the plug for a parents. Leave it be happy that you are out of that. Just enjoy your life with your partner or kids or who ever you are with.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
My parents named me for POA, Healthcare POA, and executrix of their wills. They did that even though my sister had returned to live with them. I was in another state. I was the one who understood their wishes and agreed with them (healthcare). I was /am the most responsible and level-headed of the 3 children. Think about these points and you may find your answer

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-27-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Thank you. To be honest I don't want to have to make the decision to 'pull the plug,' I'm just more concerned as to why they wouldn't want me to. I suppose it could be something as simple as that I live the farthest away. My brother certainly is not very responsible (I mean he still lives at home for gods sake).

I will not mention it to them & will just accept it. I guess I just take things too personally sometimes.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
It might well be the parent's views are more aligned with one child. As an example. I doubt my daughter would ever pull the plug on anyone including a pet. My son would pull the plug. My wife and I would want the plug pulled so guess which one we would name as controller of the plug?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post

The only way to know for sure what they are thinking is to ask!

Personally, I was relieved when my mom chose my younger sister. I know it was no slight against me and I'm glad to know I won't have that job when the time comes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships