U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:37 AM

383 posts, read 319,000 times

Advertisements

Back in 1997 when Google was known as Deja News, I phoned--yes, phoned--the Texas-based company to request that they remove Usenet posts I made under my real name in 1994. They refused. I was an "old-timer" of 40; I'll remember 'til I die--"Shannon" the Deja News administrator (or something) laughing at me. I said that the posts involved a particular invasive form of cancer. I will remember until I die her laughter. (I even remember where I was sitting.)

I never Google recreationally. I have a Facebook account I use only because having one is mandatory these days; I rarely use it for anything other than to update my background with some Biblical verse and pretty photograph.

However, if a situation involves finances or any kind of commerce, even with a huge retailer or hotel chain or anything involving money at all, then I investigate the person or company. I have also helped victims of domestic abuse with internet searches. But I think it's morally wrong to research someone just to know facts about them. Do Unto Others, and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 AM

417 posts, read 985,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
A person who will commit a crime against you.

What did you think I meant?

Why else would people do this. I'm the most guarded person I know and i would never google (or whatever) someone I was about to let into my personal life.
If I am the least bit suspicious I back off. My instinct has never failed me.
Your use of the word "guilty" threw me. We who research people aren't automatically assuming they're bad people, guilty of something. The intent is all-important here. Reasons to research someone are many, depending on the situation, and if it's someone we couldn't care less about, we don't research them at all. In many, many situations, though, it's a wise and prudent thing to do. As for me, I'm interested in people - as I stated in an earlier post, before the internet, I still sought out whatever info I could find about people who piqued my interest in one way or another. It's almost like an instinct, and a harmless one.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 AM

11,628 posts, read 7,199,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
Back in 1997 when Google was known as Deja News, I phoned--yes, phoned--the Texas-based company to request that they remove Usenet posts I made under my real name in 1994. They refused. I was an "old-timer" of 40; I'll remember 'til I die--"Shannon" the Deja News administrator (or something) laughing at me. I said that the posts involved a particular invasive form of cancer. I will remember until I die her laughter. (I even remember where I was sitting.)

I never Google recreationally. I have a Facebook account I use only because having one is mandatory these days; I rarely use it for anything other than to update my background with some Biblical verse and pretty photograph.

However, if a situation involves finances or any kind of commerce, even with a huge retailer or hotel chain or anything involving money at all, then I investigate the person or company. I have also helped victims of domestic abuse with internet searches. But I think it's morally wrong to research someone just to know facts about them. Do Unto Others, and all that.
It is horrible that this person laughed at you.

But I suppose my willingness to idly look into people's lives on the 'net (grant you this is not something I do often. I actually have to have a particular curiosity and unanswered questions in my mind, which happens relatively rarely to be honest) also fits the mold of "Do Unto Others." Because I would not mind one bit if someone looked me up. And I have no problem owning anything I've said or posted, or any of the public info out there on me.

I do feel sorry for celebrities though. What they go through with people really wanting every detail of their lives, making stuff up about them, the invasiveness of paparrazi...it's awful. It's enough to drive you mad. No amount of money would make that worth coping with. Compared to what they deal with every day, some of 'em, a person Googling your name is nothing.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM

383 posts, read 319,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is horrible that this person laughed at you.

But I suppose my willingness to idly look into people's lives on the 'net (grant you this is not something I do often. I actually have to have a particular curiosity and unanswered questions in my mind, which happens relatively rarely to be honest) also fits the mold of "Do Unto Others." Because I would not mind one bit if someone looked me up. And I have no problem owning anything I've said or posted, or any of the public info out there on me.

I do feel sorry for celebrities though. What they go through with people really wanting every detail of their lives, making stuff up about them, the invasiveness of paparrazi...it's awful. It's enough to drive you mad. No amount of money would make that worth coping with. Compared to what they deal with every day, some of 'em, a person Googling your name is nothing.
Oh, yeah, I agree. People's motives are all over the map when it comes to looking up others online. I'm absolutely "do unto others." I actually helped someone track down a financial abuser; it all had a happy ending. But even though celebrities get more of this kind of attention, I don't feel sorrier for them than I do for the average person. I think that as a person gets more and more famous, they adapt somehow to being, well, famous. They have to adapt; being famous is a rare state of being. It's like having an uncommon disease, in a way. (I don't know what else to compare it to.) Anyway, I think the "average Joe or Jill" suffers way way more than celebrities, if they're social media/online information is abused. At the end of the day, they/we don't have the solace of being famous!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 PM

99 posts, read 136,075 times
I've done it. The way I see it is hey, if there's anything you didn't want anyone to know about, don't put it on the internet. I've busted one of my daughter's friends with some "questionable" photos she had online that had NO BUSINESS being on the internet. Her parents were forever grateful that I did. I search my own kids names and their "internet-names" (that I know of) too, regularly. Kids and teenagers are too nave in this technological age and it's up to parents to keep a watch on them.

Also, I just recently found out, if you are ever arrested, for whatever reason, and EVEN IF LATER found not-guilty, or that the arrest was unwarranted, the police station CAN and DOES provide newspapers and online sites such as "The (your town) Patch" with your mug shot and FULL NAME. There really IS no "innocent until proven guilty" anymore. I don't know if this is done all over the U.S. or just our state, but this just happened to a friend of mine that had an altercation with a stalker. Turns out that the police had NO BUSINESS arresting her but now her mug shot with FULL NAME attached to it is online for any prospective employer or anyone to see. She actually had to legally change her last name back to her maiden name as it began to hurt her chances of employment.

I think that is BEYOND wrong.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,734,007 times
If i like them and i'm going to get romantically involved with them, i might after a few dates. I never even thought about it until an ex told me he did it to me!!!

I've googled some people and about 5 dif people w same name pop up, so i don't do it much, even in the situation above. If you google my name you would find many others before you find me.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:35 PM

596 posts, read 469,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
It depends on the context of meeting them. I do so frequently in the work environment (linkedin) and occasionally in a personal context: someone I may have an interest in, but it is not to preclude them, it is usually to find if there is something that will enable better conversation flow upon next encounter / meeting i.e. a sense of interests or where commonality may encourage fruitful conversation. I may surmise incorrectly - but, I get a sense people are more hurried and distracted overall to have a meaningful conversation in many first encounters in most environments outside of 'soft' social events (Community / church / association / industry groups).

Sometimes I'm just curious if someone is sort of like what I envision or project from my initial meeting. It's kind of a game to see how well I interpret cues from the brief encounter (if I got their name) to see how close I can gage vocation (if I don't learn it from the encounter) or something.

As someone who lives in a multi family residential building I will occasionally google occupants just to keep them straight in my mind since I see them in passing infrequently.

Otherwise, for most people if there is no reason (business or romantic) I do not 'google' them.

These are the only times--with the exclusion of one-- you would do this, so in other words, you do this often.

Why you're googling someone for this....
Quote:
Sometimes I'm just curious if someone is sort of like what I envision or project from my initial meeting. It's kind of a game to see how well I interpret cues from the brief encounter (if I got their name) to see how close I can gage vocation (if I don't learn it from the encounter) or something.
I have no idea? Seems to go too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
No I actually talk to human beings to learn more about them.....not e- stalk them.
Exactly.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:00 AM

8,931 posts, read 6,464,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post

I missed this earlier and I'm curious.

I have 6 friends IRL. 5 of them are not on Facebook. My only brother doesn't have an account either and he is an executive of a large well known company. I have zero interest in it.

How is having a Facebook account mandatory?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM

417 posts, read 985,290 times
I think the word "mandatory" was meant tongue-in-cheek, as in it's socially the norm, in today's society, to have a Facebook account. People who don't use Facebook seem to have some very false ideas about it. Modern Facebook is much, much more than simply a venue for bored people to post their day to day activities. I subscribe to dozens of Facebook Groups centered around my interests (history, genealogy, etc.) that post fascinating items related to those interests, links to other sites, photographs and help hints, etc. I also subscribe to all my local TV news and newspapers on Facebook to stay updated on local happenings all in one place, and local businesses for updates on sales, etc. As a matter of fact, I have very few Facebook "friends", and of those I do have, I have "unfollowed" so that my timeline isn't cluttered up with their posts and is left free for news and my hobby updates

Old 11-21-2014, 08:58 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,507,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I always find myself Googling friends, acquaintances, and others whom I've met for the first time to know more about them. Do you Google people soon after meeting them?
No. If I'm interested in getting to know them, I'll ask them directly.

[the old school way]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or