Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times

Advertisements

I would write an email to say goodbye. Put in it anything you feel is important, she will probably write back, answer her one last time and disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Why does she deserve respect? She would just come back with another nasty reply. My recommendation just ignore her. She will get the hint.
She doesn't deserve it. But the OP is more likely to make her go away by being kind than by being short or harsh. I don't think blocking is the answer right away either. OP should give her a fair chance to move on.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
lilyflower, that's what I keep thinking... "I've never even met this person..." I appreciate the responses. I don't know why I'm vacillating on how to handle this. My gut really is telling me to just let it go.
You feel bad because she is a real person and you don't want to hurt her feelings. It's tough to end something the other person wants so much but you have to for her as much as you.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney
btw, what was the favor she was asking for?
Good question.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:56 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
jaypee - rofl thanks for the video

msplove - i think that is a very good and doable response. thank you

joyithejourney - believe it or not she wants to collaborate in a business venture...can you believe that?

Atalanta - It definitely was mutual and that's why I feel responsible for how it ends I guess.

rlrl - thanks for sharing the other side of the coin. contrary to her comment that "i get over myself" i do think she'll get over my ending communcation pretty quickly...lol

longnecker - giving her approach lately, I tend to think she doesn't deserve closure either. Although, as mag32gie says, it's true I don't want to hurt her feelings

I hope I've responded to everyone... I'm very grateful for the responses.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
jaypee - rofl thanks for the video

msplove - i think that is a very good and doable response. thank you

joyithejourney - believe it or not she wants to collaborate in a business venture...can you believe that?

Atalanta - It definitely was mutual and that's why I feel responsible for how it ends I guess.

rlrl - thanks for sharing the other side of the coin. contrary to her comment that "i get over myself" i do think she'll get over my ending communcation pretty quickly...lol

[B]longnecker[/b] - giving her approach lately, I tend to think she doesn't deserve closure either. Although, as mag32gie says, it's true I don't want to hurt her feelings

I hope I've responded to everyone... I'm very grateful for the responses.
She is not worrying about your feelings.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:09 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
winterbird, you come across as a kind and caring person. I've been thinking about this thread, and tend to agree with most of the responses, even some that say that closure is needful.

I think what might answer all your concerns is a somewhat proactive email, a sort of "it's not you, it's me" breakup. :-)

Dear ____

I've taken a few days to think about your email, in which you referred to me as "numbnuts", and offered a few other off-the-cuff insults. Frankly, I was taken aback and wanted to think carefully about how I wanted to respond. It's true that we have had a nice email relationship, and I've enjoyed our cyberconversations. But with the memory of those insults in the background, I won't be able to enjoy emailing with you any longer.

Good bye and best wishes,
Winterbird

Old 11-02-2014, 01:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
dblackga - I like the way you worded that. If I go the explanation route, I will definitely use the substance of your and MSPLove's letters. Very succinct.

For now, I'm leaning towards just leaving it as is. longnecker is right. She hasn't bothered to respond asking why I haven't responded. Which imo, would be a logical thing to do. At this point it seems I'm really worried about nothing.

Thanks again all. I really needed to get that out. My husband kept telling me to just cut off communication but he's pretty cut and dry so I was figuring "what does he know?" I've shared you guys' responses with him and he's saying "see? at least 50% of the posters agree with me."

rofl

Old 11-02-2014, 02:09 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
For now, I'm leaning towards just leaving it as is. longnecker is right. She hasn't bothered to respond asking why I haven't responded. Which imo, would be a logical thing to do. At this point it seems I'm really worried about nothing.

Thanks again all. I really needed to get that out. My husband kept telling me to just cut off communication but he's pretty cut and dry so I was figuring "what does he know?" I've shared you guys' responses with him and he's saying "see? at least 50% of the posters agree with me."
^

From “Say This, Not That: A Foolproof Guide To Effective Interpersonal Communication” by Carl Alasko (2013):
Quote:
“Once you’re an adult, there’s no reason to tolerate ongoing and persistent emotional abuse in any relationship.
Self-care requires that you protect yourself from anyone who doesn’t respect you, your tastes or your lifestyle.”
This is the author's version of a "healthy" (non-blaming, non-critical, etc.) relationship-ending message, you could tailor it to an acquaintanceship instead:
Quote:
“I’m sorry, but I have to tell you that it’s not working for me and I don’t want to continue seeing you.
I hate to hurt your feelings this way, but I wanted you to know.”

Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
I hadn't thought of calling her out and still ending the friendship...lol. I was thinking if I called her out and she apologized I'd have to continue responding to her emails and the occasional phone call. thanks for offering that as an option.
Sounds like she already ended the friendship, since she told you you are not a real friend. Tell her you agree and wish her well, then do not respond again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships