Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,536,542 times

Advertisements

Change your number and put up a privacy fence or move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,262,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Block their phone numbers and don't give them out so easily to people in the future. Plant tall, fast growing hedges between your house and theirs or put up a 6 foot tall solid fence. Then continue to ignore them as you have been doing.
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Some people don't know boundaries and you need to put them in place.

Planting trees is not only a very cost effective solution, they add beauty to the area. I recommend adding evergreens which are fast growing. Put them up like a wall. If you are able to, don't plant them yourself have the local nursery or lawn service, and this way, you don't have to deal with the neighbors bothering you while doing this.

When you come and go from your home, don't make eye contact with them.

The OP tried being nice and friendly towards these people and they are annoying. It's time to simply ignore them, and they will change their behavior if they don't give them any interaction.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Plant a row of Leyland cypress trees (if they will survive in your region) in front of the fence line. They grow rapidly and will block your neighbors.

For them to have this much free time, they must be unemployed losers.

Do not escalate things with them; they will be the types to call the cops on YOU!

When outside, always have headphones or ear buds in, even if you are not listening to music. This will help show them you are not hearing their obnoxious comments. Do not even glance at them. Pretend they are not there. Do this all the time -- when walking the dog, working in the yard, etc.

If you have a patio or deck where you eat outside or BBQ, build a pergola or something that you can add screens to (like bamboo screens) so when you are outside on your deck, they cannot see you and any guests you might have.

If you live in an area with four seasons and it gets cold in the winter, some of your problem will be solved, simply because they are not going to hang outside in snow! So I hope you live in an area with seasons.

If you have a garage, park inside and get into and out of your car inside the garage as much as possible.

If they are playing loud music just to be annoying, check with your local PD or Sheriff to find out if your local government has a noise ordinance and if it is enforced. If they have one, call the appropriate authorities and ask for them to intervene when the noise gets loud.
This is a very good detailed response! Bravo!!!

Some people just have no life and being outside and watching what everyone else is doing is entertainment to them. I have a neighbor who knows every action about everyone else in the neighborhood. I bet he could easily tell you the color of everyone's trash can, when they put them out, what car they drive and it's color. He knows when everyone goes to sleep or gets up. And he gossips about it with anyone who will listen. I have been ignoring him for years and he has stopped trying to talk to me so I don't have to listen to this nonsense.

We all wish you success here!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 PM

242 posts, read 496,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Block their phone numbers and don't give them out so easily to people in the future. Plant tall, fast growing hedges between your house and theirs or put up a 6 foot tall solid fence. Then continue to ignore them as you have been doing.
don't plant growing hedges, plant hedges that are already grown and just need to be planted.
and don't ever worry about trimming them, i am sure the nosy neighbors will be making sure that their side of the hedges are neatly cropped short. lol
wear earplugs when outside while you are listening to your 'new' music.
always be in a hurry when they see you outside.
good luck.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM

242 posts, read 496,651 times
i think your husband should go over there and be a "friendly" neighbor.
he should make up lies to tell them and scare them.
remember, you keep your friends close and your enemies closer. but still install the already grown hedge in your yard.
tell the nosy neighbors that he is on probation for murder and the probation officer comes to his work all the time (can't say home, cause the nosy neighbors would know this is a lie).
tell neighbors he suffers from some kind of anger mental issues and killed a man (he could not help it)at the last place you lived thus the murder rap.
tell the neighbors that he knows he is under surveillance 24/7 by the FBI.
tell the neighbors that he is sad because he wants to get a dog but is not allowed by law since he got caught twice by his ex-girlfriend when he bbq'd the dogs, that is why the ex left him.
tell the neighbors that he is happy now and everything seems to be looking good for his future since he seems to only be getting his "anger" moods like once a week now instead of daily.
and always when your husband is outside, tell him to always talk and argue with himself out loud, loud enough for people to hear and think he is cray cray.... he could even throw in a couple of self-face slaps too for entertainment.
then tell him to tell the neighbors again that he is sorry about not inviting them to the bbq but he wasn't sure if they were into marinated bbq gopher meat like ya'll are.
tell the neighbors that he would invite the cop brother over more often if his own brother wasn't such a nosy cop. yeah, tell them his cop brother will come over and start asking tons of questions and was even caught looking through the trunk of his car and freezer.
make the methheads think you two are really crazy people. they will stay away and call you freaks, that is good, they will not bother you anymore... neither will the rest of the neighbors.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 PM

163 posts, read 245,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Learn French or Japanese and don't talk in English in your back yard. If they are druggies, drop hints about your friend who works in the DEA.
Take this to another level if you have the resources. My aunt and uncle had an issue with neighbors just like that, always watching, calling, being obnoxious. My uncle had some cops come over (he was friends with), in uniform, for a bbq in the back yard and the neighbors were nowhere to be found. The neighbor issue went away after that.

Obviously this doesn't work if you don't have cop friends.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally123 View Post
Actually it is not my fault they call that would be my boyfriends fault because I would never in a million years give my number to a stranger lol, and I remind him that's why too. My thing is how can it be paranoia if it's a fact. I'm not exaggerating and I have nothing to be paranoid about. It's an annoyance. They don't have jobs and last night we heard someone laughing outside our window. We aren't within 10 feet of each other it's more like 50 but that is still too close so yeah they are watching us and calling us but again not paranoid but seriously disturbed. I don't feel like something bad is going to happen but like you and every normal person in the world I do like and expect my privacy. I love my other neighbors and have no problem being friendly to the others but when they won't leave you alone that's when it becomes a problem. Come stand in my shoes for a while, and you will see what I mean.
I don't know why when someone has a problem with neighbors who are clearly being an annoyance someone will try to blame it on the victim. Some people have no empathy for others.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally123 View Post
Lol i hate to say it but that is exactly right. My bf went over to their house right after we moved in to try and get to know them and he said none of them work and they are all a bunch of meth heads. He avoids them now. Lol.
Meth heads. Hmmm...when they make noise if you called the police, wouldn't they scare them having the police show up?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
If they are meth users, have one of your friends come over and introduce him as DEA. They might just back off and ignore you from that point.
The OP could contact the local DEA and tell them of their situations and invite the DEA over for a BBQ! Tell them all to wear uniforms. Then do the same thing with local law enforcement, have the cops show up in uniform for a BBQ. This might force them to move.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
I think about the only thing that hasn't been suggested is to have a frank conversation with these people. They sound like total losers, but they don't sound too dangerous.

Have your boyfriend (I'm not sexist, but I think many men and crazy women are more apt to take this conversation better from a man) go and nicely but firmly tell them you don't appreciate them being in your business. Sometimes even pretty messed up people will react well to a little straight talk.

If they are meth heads or even just pot heads, the last thing they want is legal trouble. I think you could nicely tell them that you don't want any trouble with them, but if they continue to make trouble for you, all bets are off. Tell them you know what they're up to and that you know they don't want any trouble either. They will probably get your drift.

Without threatening them, I think you could tactfully make the point that you're just not having their nonsense and they need to leave you alone. You may be surprised how far a blunt and candid conversation can get you. Plus, its a lot cheaper than tall fences, trees and surveillance systems.
I know your posting is well-meaning, but from my experiences people who behave this way would be very offended by this. They can't be reasoned with anymore than telling them to stop taking meth and go get a job to become a productive member of society. The thing is, they don't see themselves as being abnormal or wrong what they are doing. Given that, if someone came over to you out of the blue and said those things you would be offended even as a normal person. Those neighbors are going to see any such discussion as a threat. I wouldn't do this, because they will just increase what they have been doing to annoy them like it's a game to them.

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors. If you don't want to see them tall trees is best. It's privacy and it changes their behavior too. If they can't be outside and see into the OPs yard all the time, they won't find being outside as interesting as they did. Adding fences and trees goes a long way to make a place even nicer to live in.

Additional: If the other neighbors are having an issue with them too that surround them, talk to them also about planting the same trees against the property line. Kind if box them to, and it might just keep them in the house.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 11-03-2014 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships