Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 AM

12 posts, read 17,053 times

Advertisements

Ok so my boyfriend and I moved into our first home in March of this year. We have neighbors on both sides and we adore the ones on our right but the ones on our left are so obnoxious. They watch everything we do and are extremely rude. We live in a brick house and can hear them yelling when we are inside. We were doing yard work the other day and my boyfriends dad came over to help because my boyfriend had just had surgery and he couldn't do a lot but we were having some issues that could not be put off. Well being that my boyfriend couldn't do a lot the neighbor was calling him lazy and just basically putting him down. He ignored her but she would not shut up. She is always like this. We have tried being nice but they just like to start drama and talk bad about people and we try to stay away from that. She knew he had surgery but that doesn't matter. There 10 people that live in the house and they all stand at the fence and watch us regardless of whether we are in the front or the back. They just stand and watch us, except for the one that can't keep her mouth shut. We had family over a few weeks ago and we were having a bbq and they stood at the fence the entire time, telling us to give them some food. We have tried to be nice and now are ignoring them but it is so frustrating. We can't even walk our dog without them watching us. When I leave for work they are watching us. As soon as my boyfriend gets home from work they are calling him within 5 minutes of him walking in. It's really annoying and he's tried to be nice and tell them that we can't come over or are too busy to talk but they don't care. They won't leave us alone and it is quite aggravating. What should we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Unless you want to pack up and move (NOT!), there's nothing you can do to change them. As you know, you can only change yourself.

They aren't breaking any laws being obnoxious. All you can do is continue to ignore them.

Maybe that's why the former residents of your house moved?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Block their phone numbers and don't give them out so easily to people in the future. Plant tall, fast growing hedges between your house and theirs or put up a 6 foot tall solid fence. Then continue to ignore them as you have been doing.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:21 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
I second the fence or tall hedge idea.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 AM

857 posts, read 975,196 times
I agree with Willow wind. If that doesn't work, give them the name and number of a good Psychiatrist.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Ignore them. Don't engage them. Block their number.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Putting up a tall fence or hedge seems like a good idea. I would just completely ignore them otherwise. Chances are they'll get bored and find something else to do eventually.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:26 AM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
Give reverse psychology a try. Act obnoxious, weird, nosy and whatever other way you can think of that might make them want to avoid you & your boyfriend.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Give reverse psychology a try. Act obnoxious, weird, nosy and whatever other way you can think of that might make them want to avoid you & your boyfriend.
Escalating a situation like this is usually a very terrible idea. These people sound like a bunch of unemployed losers who are probably alcoholics or druggies. The last thing someone should do is further interactions with people like that.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Plant a row of Leyland cypress trees (if they will survive in your region) in front of the fence line. They grow rapidly and will block your neighbors.

For them to have this much free time, they must be unemployed losers.

Do not escalate things with them; they will be the types to call the cops on YOU!

When outside, always have headphones or ear buds in, even if you are not listening to music. This will help show them you are not hearing their obnoxious comments. Do not even glance at them. Pretend they are not there. Do this all the time -- when walking the dog, working in the yard, etc.

If you have a patio or deck where you eat outside or BBQ, build a pergola or something that you can add screens to (like bamboo screens) so when you are outside on your deck, they cannot see you and any guests you might have.

If you live in an area with four seasons and it gets cold in the winter, some of your problem will be solved, simply because they are not going to hang outside in snow! So I hope you live in an area with seasons.

If you have a garage, park inside and get into and out of your car inside the garage as much as possible.

If they are playing loud music just to be annoying, check with your local PD or Sheriff to find out if your local government has a noise ordinance and if it is enforced. If they have one, call the appropriate authorities and ask for them to intervene when the noise gets loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships