U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:08 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,033,078 times

Advertisements

would it bother you? How would you feel if your sister chose her friends over you to be the Maid of Honor and bridemaids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 03:11 PM

793 posts, read 1,287,296 times
Nope because it would mean that you didn't have to buy an ugly dress that you're never going to wear again. Being a bridesmaid is expensive. You pay for everything. Nope, invite me but don't ask me to be in your wedding.

Enjoy the wedding as a guest! And be happy that you don't have to pay for parties and dresses that you don't really want in the first place.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,371,380 times
I totally agree! How great if you can just enjoy the day, and not worry about carrying bouquets, spending lots of time and money organizing bachlorette parties, and wearing whatever you want (within reason....).

You will always be her sister. There is no real honor to being a bridesmaid, let me tell you...

Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM

9,584 posts, read 5,794,323 times
I would be hurt. How is your relationship with your sister?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,615,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
would it bother you? How would you feel if your sister chose her friends over you to be the Maid of Honor and bridemaids?
Would not bother me in the least!

They you get to enjoy the affair. No planning showers/parties, no buying clothing you will never wear again, no dealing with issues (which CAN include a Bridezilla).

Many women are closer to friends than siblings.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,076,777 times
Are you close with your sister? If not then tat might be the reason. Are you fat or otherwise "not beautiful" because as you know, weddings are often enough all about perfection, the perfect day, the perfect bride etc....

It would hurt my feelings and would cause me to look carefully at my relationship with my sister but as the others have said, count your blessings. It is expensive to be a bridesmaid.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 PM

13,158 posts, read 20,772,581 times
I would double the size of the gift I was going to get, as a thank you! But, I'm the oldest girl in our family, and have two younger sisters. I did ask both of them to be in my wedding party. My maid of honor was my best friend.

I do think in most cases it's customary to ask siblings to be part of the wedding party, so, if you feel hurt, it's understandable.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I would be hurt. How is your relationship with your sister?
At the time, we hardly spoken to each other. I wasn't invited to the bachlorette party either. I forgot to mention there was another sister. She was supposed to be one of the bridemaids. Then came down with a severe mental illness. I remember asking if I could take her place and instead of me, asked another friend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Are you close with your sister? If not then tat might be the reason. Are you fat or otherwise "not beautiful" because as you know, weddings are often enough all about perfection, the perfect day, the perfect bride etc....
when she got married, no... We talk but not very close. Not having someone as a bridesmaid because of their looks is very shallow thing to do. I'm a very "plain jane" and Hard of Hearing. I've seen plenty of "fat" women as bridemaids. And every wedding I've been in, all of the siblings of the bride and groom were IN the wedding.

It would hurt my feelings and would cause me to look carefully at my relationship with my sister but as the others have said, count your blessings. It is expensive to be a bridesmaid.
It's the one reason we're not very close.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,193,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

I don't have a sister but I'm sure I would be grateful that I did not have the added stress and expense of being part of the wedding party.

How in the world do you "come down with a severe mental illness"? It isn't like Mental Illness is a virus that you catch one day.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would double the size of the gift I was going to get, as a thank you! But, I'm the oldest girl in our family, and have two younger sisters. I did ask both of them to be in my wedding party. My maid of honor was my best friend.

I do think in most cases it's customary to ask siblings to be part of the wedding party, so, if you feel hurt, it's understandable.
She didn't even ask me if I wanted to. But asked our other sister who didn't even up being in the wedding party because of her illness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or