U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do confront line skippers?
Yes, I confront line skippers. 175 71.14%
No, I don't confront line skippers. 54 21.95%
I've never had someone skip in line. 17 6.91%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,470,549 times

Advertisements

I was next in line. This woman cut in front of me. I decided to let her go because I had a gut feeling that something bad was going to happen to her for doing that. And whaddya know? Her card was declined. She heard me snicker and I gave her the death stare. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I guess that's what you get for line skipping." Someone behind me clapped.

Share you experience and answer the poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM

21,746 posts, read 23,015,759 times
I have to say, I've never had someone cut in line at a store. I do however frequently see folks in cars, driving along the shoulder when a long line of cars is merging in a construction zone, only to cut in at the very front. Bugs the living hell out of me.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,815,228 times
I don't "confront" which implies a very direct approach. Instead I make a sarcastic or snarky joke, which is usually enjoyed by the other people in line and the cashiers.

If the person who jumped ahead in line has any sense of decency, they will feel at least a little shamed. If they don't, then they won't, but at least I got my frustration out and made a couple people laugh.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM

17,940 posts, read 22,609,476 times
I definitely call them out on it. I will usually loudly say, "I'm next in line, the end of the line is back there." And they usually then act confused, like they didn't see the long line of people. "Oh, is that the line?" or some inane response...

Old 11-03-2014, 01:01 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,734,095 times
I do confront line skippers. If someone tries to cut in front of me (or someone else who is in front of me), I will say "excuse me, the line starts back there" and point to the back of the line. Usually, that's all it takes. If they refuse then I will get the staff involved.

People who cut in line are jerks, plain and simple. Their time is no more valuable than mine; and if we judge by hourly salary there's a 95% chance my time is, in fact, more valuable. If I can wait, so can everyone else. I don't cut in line or ask people to hold my place in lines because it is rude.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:05 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,915,595 times
No one has cut in front of me before, so I can't say. I figure I will let karma take it's course because I don't want to invite drama into my life from a stranger.

Last week someone was riding our behinds on a stretch of highway and he passed hastily when there were two lanes. About five minutes later we saw him on the side of the road getting a ticket.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,047,744 times
"Confront" is a pretty strong word. I just assume that the person is confused, and gently point out that they have cut the line and that the back of the line is back THERE. Said with a smile, it has always worked. Confront, to me, seems like you're looking for a fight. I once cut a line, inadvertently -- didn't realize that there was a large gap between the cash register and the line in a store. It was a very cluttered store, and my first time there. I walked up to stand behind the person at the cash register and stood there, and there was a loud "Ah-HEM!" behind me. I was so embarrassed when I realized that I hadn't seen that there was a couple of people waiting on line, but they were behind a tall display and I simply had not noticed them. I think we have all been there at some point.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:23 PM

9,558 posts, read 5,738,907 times
I hate line skippers. I can't say that I've ever had someone directly jump in front of me intentionally but I have had situations where people wandered up next to me, completely clueless and I had to physically maneuver to make sure they understood that yes, this is a line and yes, I was here first.

One time I had a lady ask me if she could cut me in line at a grocery store. At the time I was there with my baby who was screaming bloody murder and I was just trying to pay and get the heck out of there. I thought she was insane for asking to cut and I told her "no". In other situations though when I was not in a rush, I've offered to let people with less items go in front of me.

I did see a woman jump in front of a long line at a pharmacy before, crying, because she was sick and needed her meds. I wanted to scream at her that everyone was there for their meds. I think she just had a bad cold or something. Boo hoo.

At my daughter's school there is a line of cars that parents get in to pick up their children. It's usually a long line and people get there early so that they won't be wrapped around the block. When one car pulls forward, the car behind follows suit. I watched a car sneak into the front of the line because the person didn't pull up quick enough. When I saw who it was, I laughed out loud. The jerkiest parent I know of at the school.

I also dislike people who just are clueless to those around them. I was at Costco the other day and a lady kept on cutting me off with her cart. For example, I had stopped at the end of an aisle because people were walking in front of me. Instead of her waiting for me to go she just went around me and cut me off at the pass. She did it again and again in the store. I laughed it off and was fully expecting to see her cutting me off in her car in the parking lot later on. She wasn't being intentionally rude but rather just completely oblivious to the fact that other people were around her.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Not only has no one ever cut in front of me, I have never seen that happen!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:46 PM

17,940 posts, read 22,609,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

I also dislike people who just are clueless to those around them. I was at Costco the other day and a lady kept on cutting me off with her cart. For example, I had stopped at the end of an aisle because people were walking in front of me. Instead of her waiting for me to go she just went around me and cut me off at the pass. She did it again and again in the store. I laughed it off and was fully expecting to see her cutting me off in her car in the parking lot later on. She wasn't being intentionally rude but rather just completely oblivious to the fact that other people were around her.
This drives me nuts. In particular when someone is walking straight at you, and expects you to move out of the way. In my old age, I enjoy continuing to walk straight ahead while smiling at them as if I'm clueless. They normally act really shocked and discombobulated when I stand my ground while smiling, and they have to actually move around me.

It's the little things in life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or