U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 10:44 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,372,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
I personally believe that big opulent rings and expensive weddings (vow renewals) should be reserved for a 10 year anniversary - if those things still matter to you then, well, you've earned it!
That's what we had to do . We met in Europe and had 90 days to marry or be separated possibly forever . We have been married in Holland ( city hall of his town which is normal ) and in the US . Just us and both of us had kids . It cost gas to drive to the courthouse , buy the license then return 3 days later and got married . Our children were all against this and still aren't too happy . We don't care . They were grown or older teens . We got back home just in time to pick up my kindergartner from school ( whom he adopted legally 3 years later ). I wore a cute top and some capris , this was a tropical coastal climate and were 40 and 42 . Now its been 10 years and my husband wants to do it again better . MAN we were broke but wanted to be together for good. We are still like little twins. I fully admit I wished I could have had a beautiful wedding in this life but it just wasn't in the cards for me so I made it the best we could .. we all went to Dairy Queen that night and had chocolate malts !! Well he had the malt I had an icee . Tiny daughter had an ice cream cone . He raised her perfectly and all is peaceful .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 02:13 AM

4,496 posts, read 2,885,789 times
I've had a coworker who was in northern Virginia at the time with his fiancée also living and working there. They deliberately had their wedding in the Caribbean to keep the # of guests low... something about crowd control.

Some folks say a pricy wedding can better affirm the commitment, but I'd have disagree with that, regardless of whether or not you could really afford it or not. It should be neutral, if not worse.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:47 AM

1,097 posts, read 717,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsaLover2 View Post
2.) The cost. {...} His sister said, "Ours only cost 16 grand"
$16,000 is enough for a down payment on a nice house. A wedding ceremony is only one day; a house lasts decades and increases in value.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:20 AM

18,367 posts, read 23,547,048 times
I use to get tons of wedding invites...

some of the expensive ones were challenging - but I felt obligated since they thought of me enough to invite me- I was young and foolish,,,

now, if I get an invite,,,,i look for the word "pig-roast" or lobster-bake ... at the reception,,,, and know its going to be a good time

Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Nowhere else in the world would people pay to have rodents at a catered event.
^^^^^Best comment so far^^^^^

Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,377,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

some of the expensive ones were challenging - but I felt obligated since they thought of me enough to invite me- I was young and foolish,,,

now, if I get an invite,,,,i look for the word "pig-roast" or lobster-bake ... at the reception,,,, and know its going to be a good time
I look for the words 'open bar'. I'm easy.

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 11-09-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 08:35 AM

56,152 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I look for the words 'open bar'. I'm easy.
I'd go for any of those!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM

575 posts, read 1,056,538 times
After my now-husband proposed to me and we were talking about wedding plans, I looked at him and told him, we're not having a fancy wedding and you better not buy me an expensive ring because I'd rather take that money and get a house or a car! I still don't have a wedding band, I have my mom's engagement ring from when her and my Dad got married like 35 years ago (it's very nice and I told my husband I wanted to have my mom's ring), and we got married outside the court house in a cute gazebo for under $100 on a nice Summer day. I wore a blue $20 dress and my husband wore jeans and a blue polo. On my side we invited my mom, step-dad, dad, and sister. On my husband's side we invited his mom, his mom's long-term bf, his aunt, uncle, grandma and grandpa. It was a nice intimate ceremony and I wouldn't change a thing. I think we spent maybe $150 altogether?

Now if I was rich and $30k was pocket-change to me, then maybe? I'm just not a materialistic person at all I guess and can't imagine dropping that kind of money for a few hours of enjoyment.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 AM

319 posts, read 498,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
After my now-husband proposed to me and we were talking about wedding plans, I looked at him and told him, we're not having a fancy wedding and you better not buy me an expensive ring because I'd rather take that money and get a house or a car! I still don't have a wedding band, I have my mom's engagement ring from when her and my Dad got married like 35 years ago (it's very nice and I told my husband I wanted to have my mom's ring), and we got married outside the court house in a cute gazebo for under $100 on a nice Summer day. I wore a blue $20 dress and my husband wore jeans and a blue polo. On my side we invited my mom, step-dad, dad, and sister. On my husband's side we invited his mom, his mom's long-term bf, his aunt, uncle, grandma and grandpa. It was a nice intimate ceremony and I wouldn't change a thing. I think we spent maybe $150 altogether?

Now if I was rich and $30k was pocket-change to me, then maybe? I'm just not a materialistic person at all I guess and can't imagine dropping that kind of money for a few hours of enjoyment.
I agree and pretty much did the same.

People that spend 10... 20... 50... 100 thousand on a wedding always give me the impression that they're just poor people pretending to be rich.

I could harp on about how ever since I was a kid I wanted a Lamborghini and so now that I have a drivers license I should get my way, but I'd sound just as ridicules as the original poster. Never mind I could buy a 2nd hand Lambo for $80g's, drive it for a year (and pray it didn't break down) and then sell it for about the same - so it makes more financial sense than an expensive wedding.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM

698 posts, read 644,199 times
Quote:

LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or