U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:45 AM

190 posts, read 153,200 times

Advertisements

Our daughter had a Disney cruise destination wedding. It was extremely nice, and created memories of a lifetime for all of us. For DD, it was also a continuation of happy times of when she worked at Disney as summer job from college. She and sorority sisters worked together, with one of her closest friends eventually joining Disney for her career. It was the money that she saved while interning at Disney, and her work after graduation that paid for a goodly share of her wedding. (We splurged on it, too.) I wasn't on board with the Disney in Orlando, itself, but the tours around where DD worked telling her stories and memories of her time there made it grand. I still don't know, or even care to know what it cost her or us. DW took care of that end. It was for our only daughter, it was affordable and worth it.

I will be available for the grand kids when they get to experience their first Disney visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 AM

3,275 posts, read 4,749,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think the problem with over budget weddings is that the focus is more on the wedding than the actual marriage which can and often does lead to a very unhappy, unstable marriage that will end after a few kids and tons of debt that no one can afford to pay off.
Exactly. Plus, there is so much build up and anticipation for that one day that as soon as it is over there is a huge emotional let down. How can just living in a house with someone, going to work everyday, cleaning, watching tv, etc. compare to that lavish wedding day?

IMO, people spend way too much on weddings. I spent a lot on mine, and I wish I had found a way to make it cost less. I spent about $10k which isn't bad for Chicago and I did as much as I could to cut costs (no flowers, no centerpieces, no wedding cake, DJ instead of a band, etc.). I agree with whoever said that people generally don't regret spending too little on their wedding. Even if that did happen, you could throw a lavish 10 year anniversary party later or something.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM

10,282 posts, read 11,176,269 times
1. From your description they are undoubtedly correct that you are paying too much for the wedding.
2. Choosing a remote location imposes costs on people that they may not be able or willing to afford.
3. It's none of their business how much of your money you spend on your wedding.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:54 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,809,001 times
My wife and I got married at WDW in 1999. Definitely a magical experience, no matter what you do. Even her parents, who paid for it, agreed. The way they manage things, you definitely will not have to worry about a vendor screwing up as they handle that all 100% behind the scenes. It was also nice having EVERYTHING picked out months ahead of time and not having so much stuff to worry about.

It was also great for the guests as we had bus transport to pick them up and drop off from the welcome party/rehearsal dinner and ceremony. Our situation was a little bit different as while we lived in NC as well as my wife's parents, much of her family lived on Long Island and her grandparents in FL. My family was in NC also with one or two outliers scattered. So, some group was going to have to travel, no matter where we had it, so we figured Orlando was a convenient place with lots of flights for everyone. We had maybe 90 people to come down.

There was some consternation on my family's part because we "made them go down there" but when we pointed out we could have just as easily had in NY, that tempered it a bit. There was a bit of grumbling among my wife's family about the cost, but that was really due to some longstanding family issues between her dad, the oldest and the rest of his siblings. Things like that will exist before and after you get married, so you can't really stop it.

I will say that we had several comments from people that they had a great time, some said it was the best time they ever had at a wedding. Al the guests also get a good discount off their hotel stay and park tickets want to say it was 30% so we had many who came ahead and made a mini vacation out of it.

Definitely use Disney Photographic Services and get a photo shoot down in the park. Pretty awesome to be in there at the Castle when there is a guy trimming bushes right behind you and they are powerwashing everything, but you can't see them in the pictures.

Oh, make sure you get the chair covers. They are worth every penny as it makes the room look so much better. http://s23.photobucket.com/user/sher...tml?sort=2&o=1

Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 AM

298 posts, read 474,492 times
Are you paying for the wedding yourself?

When my husband and I got married almost 20 years ago, we were living together in my condo (and his parents didn't know we were living together, would have freaked out if they found out). We are different religions. We both agreed we would foot the bill for our wedding, since we were already not living at home anymore. But the other part is that we refused to accept any monetary help from our families. Period. I think my husband was afraid they would try to use their "donation" as a way of having a say in the wedding. They even tried to give us a "gift" of money several months before the wedding, and he told them he wasn't opening the envelope until when we were opening up all the other envelopes. Yes, there was still some family drama, but we got married by a priest and a rabbi outside at a reception hall and I think for the most part we all had a blast!

I totally get the wanting the fairy tale wedding from when you were a child. We all did. Society practically encouraged it. I would have LOVED a Disney wedding, but we thought it was too much money, and also figured it would have to be a smaller wedding, since not as many people would be able to make the trip.

To this day, when we go to WDW, we see at least one wedding while we're there, and I think it's great! It's our "happy place" together, and I think it would have been pretty cool to get married there.

My husband was in his best friend's wedding, and by that time we had moved from NJ to FL, so to us it was like a "destination" wedding. I was also in four weddings where I had to travel out of state, either because my friend moved or I moved. It was my choice, and I could have turned down the invites to be in the weddings; however, my husband stayed behind for most of those.

If you are paying for your own wedding, are ok with the cost of a Disney wedding, (knowing you already have a house and want a child soon) and are prepared to have a much smaller guest list because not everyone will be able to afford to attend/be in your wedding, I say go for it!

If, on the other hand, your families are contributing monetarily, I would rethink things. Disney will always be there for the two of you to have your own happy times without all the family bs that comes with planning a wedding.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM

35,121 posts, read 40,023,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Exactly. Plus, there is so much build up and anticipation for that one day that as soon as it is over there is a huge emotional let down. How can just living in a house with someone, going to work everyday, cleaning, watching tv, etc. compare to that lavish wedding day?

IMO, people spend way too much on weddings. I spent a lot on mine, and I wish I had found a way to make it cost less. I spent about $10k which isn't bad for Chicago and I did as much as I could to cut costs (no flowers, no centerpieces, no wedding cake, DJ instead of a band, etc.). I agree with whoever said that people generally don't regret spending too little on their wedding. Even if that did happen, you could throw a lavish 10 year anniversary party later or something.

We paid $2000.00 which included our hotel stay, our rings, the license, supper after our ceremony and gasoline to get to our "destination wedding" which was The Little Log Wedding Chapel in Gatlinburg, TN and we eloped and loved it and would not change a thing about any of it.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:11 AM

2,907 posts, read 3,028,690 times
I notice that the OP has not come back to answer any of the questions. She didn't say if she and her fiance are paying or if she is getting some help from somebody else, but I'll give odds that this is just the beginning of her going into debt. She sounds like a material gal and doesn't seem to grasp money. She said she doesn't even have a job. As somebody before mentioned, they better start planning the divorce.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I will say that we had several comments from people that they had a great time, some said it was the best time they ever had at a wedding. Al the guests also get a good discount off their hotel stay and park tickets want to say it was 30% so we had many who came ahead and made a mini vacation out of it.
FWIW, I got those exact same comments about my wedding. I still do, and it was over 5 years ago. It's the people that make or break a wedding, not the venue.

Of course people made a trip out of the wedding, that's what people do with almost any destination wedding because it simply makes sense. I did the same for my cousin's wedding in NYC (which wasn't a destination for her or the groom's family). Everyone in my family that made the trip came early or stayed longer to make the most of the expense and time off.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I notice that the OP has not come back to answer any of the questions. She didn't say if she and her fiance are paying or if she is getting some help from somebody else, but I'll give odds that this is just the beginning of her going into debt. She sounds like a material gal and doesn't seem to grasp money. She said she doesn't even have a job. As somebody before mentioned, they better start planning the divorce.
Sad to say, the bold is probably true.

I don't think the OP got the answers she was expecting. I doubt we'll hear back from her.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 AM

8,985 posts, read 14,631,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Agree 100%. I hope the groom-to-be understands what he is marrying. Spouses are either assets or liabilities to each other, as they go forward in life. How do you think this is going to shake down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or