U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:26 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,330,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Before yesterday's mid-term election, I posted my political affiliation of Facebook in a "Get out and vote" type post. Yesterday, a woman I considered my oldest friend (we've been friends for 40 years!) posted a little meme slamming my political party, so I replied with a post stating I'm proud of my political party. Because of this, she unfriended and blocked me!!! Facebook is my only contact with her, as we live several hours apart, so it's clear she has shut me out of her life, purely because of my political views. I feel she is at fault for posting what she did, knowing it was my party she was putting down. I know it doesn't matter whose fault it is, but I'm very sorry about losing her friendship and saying goodbye to our long history together. Has anything like this ever happened to any one else here?

Uggg! Politics is better not to get upset over. My mother only likes to talk politics and how totally horrible liberals are. It comes as no surprise that she doesn't have many friends anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:41 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,964,234 times
^
Yeah, agree, people get all ate-up over politics these days.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM

118 posts, read 127,424 times
I have two friends who are "dyed in the wool... other party" I'm pretty sure they know my political leaning, so when they start a rant, I smile and freeze, no more conversation from me! I'm being polite, but not confrontational. Somehow we have maintained our friendship, but every so often the political conversation gets started again & I become mute. So far it has worked.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM

5,498 posts, read 8,826,909 times
I have no respect for people that identify with a political party. True believers are just sheep.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,036,096 times
I blocked all political posters on fb back when I had it. Annoying af.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,268,519 times
There are a few things I never talk about at family get-togethers or on Facebook -- Politics, Religion, or anything too personal. I get so tired of seeing posts bashing the president or his party that are so clearly misinformed. When they start throwing insults about political parties or at the president I delete them. I think people should be able to talk about politics without name calling. I rarely post anything political on Facebook.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,825,860 times
I had to get rid of a lot of the rabidly political people clogging up my Facebook, from both sides.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,969,906 times
Quote:
Before yesterday's mid-term election, I posted my political affiliation of Facebook in a "Get out and vote" type post. Yesterday, a woman I considered my oldest friend (we've been friends for 40 years!) posted a little meme slamming my political party, so I replied with a post stating I'm proud of my political party. Because of this, she unfriended and blocked me!!! Facebook is my only contact with her, as we live several hours apart, so it's clear she has shut me out of her life, purely because of my political views. I feel she is at fault for posting what she did, knowing it was my party she was putting down. I know it doesn't matter whose fault it is, but I'm very sorry about losing her friendship and saying goodbye to our long history together. Has anything like this ever happened to any one else here?
If you were really friends, FB wouldn't be the only contact you had with her. I have had people unfriend me because of politics, and I've hidden some people, but no one who I would call a a good friend. Maybe she'll come around and friend you back. If not, probably not much of a loss.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 PM

5,858 posts, read 6,280,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No political party can reflect all my views -- I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
I am also fiscally conservative and socially liberal, and a member of the Libertarian Party for 23 years.

I am not on facebook but know people who push their particular beliefs there, don't think they have ever converted anyone.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,588,424 times
Quote:
A couple of things, clearly you're at least in your late 40s or early 50s, so you should know better at this stage in the game to be posting all your business online. Do you also post how much you have in your savings account? Who cares about your politics? Do you discuss them at work? Now you have, as people you work with can see your views.

I give younger people(teens and early 20s) who have been brainwashed into thinking that all their business must be online for everyone to see a pass, but really don't get people in your age range doing it.

And you don't have a telephone? Last time I checked telephones could reach people who live several hours apart.

Doesn't sound like much of a friendship if after all this time FB is your only means of communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or