U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 PM

27,179 posts, read 15,701,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Before yesterday's mid-term election, I posted my political affiliation of Facebook in a "Get out and vote" type post. Yesterday, a woman I considered my oldest friend (we've been friends for 40 years!) posted a little meme slamming my political party, so I replied with a post stating I'm proud of my political party. Because of this, she unfriended and blocked me!!! Facebook is my only contact with her, as we live several hours apart, so it's clear she has shut me out of her life, purely because of my political views. I feel she is at fault for posting what she did, knowing it was my party she was putting down. I know it doesn't matter whose fault it is, but I'm very sorry about losing her friendship and saying goodbye to our long history together. Has anything like this ever happened to any one else here?
Some people are just bitter. I think it is silly that she blocked you over it. It's politics, nothing to get bent out of shape over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 PM

33,028 posts, read 19,983,761 times
Quote:
Before yesterday's mid-term election, I posted my political affiliation of Facebook in a "Get out and vote" type post. Yesterday, a woman I considered my oldest friend (we've been friends for 40 years!) posted a little meme slamming my political party, so I replied with a post stating I'm proud of my political party. Because of this, she unfriended and blocked me!!! Facebook is my only contact with her, as we live several hours apart, so it's clear she has shut me out of her life, purely because of my political views. I feel she is at fault for posting what she did, knowing it was my party she was putting down. I know it doesn't matter whose fault it is, but I'm very sorry about losing her friendship and saying goodbye to our long history together. Has anything like this ever happened to any one else here?
I honestly cannot believe the bolded. I am still in my 20s, and MOST my friends are Democrats, I am one of the few Libertarian Republican, and we get along just fine. Who threw away an over 40 years friendship over midterm election?

My friendship with my friends is not defined by any political parties. wow! I trust my life with some of my friends and they can honestly take bullets for me as well. I am also very proud of my political party, but we respect each other's boundaries.

Your friend doesn't sound very stable, let's hope this is just a temporary thing. Forgive her, and give her some time, maybe one day she is going to realize how immature she really is.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,412,321 times
They say if you don't want to lose any friends, don't talk politics or religion. I also have strong
political beliefs, like the govt should not prevent people from making their own decisions on medical matters that may determine if they are sick or well, alive or dead. When I post life-saving info that disagrees with Docs &/or govt, some people sound about like they want to kill me!

It's best to discuss politics on political forums, since people are essentially inviting any people to post their opinion, & if anyone disagrees with a poster, they can explain why. People don't generally run away from a hot topic with that unfriending nonsense. Search for other political forums, but C-D is one of the biggest so you might have more influence here than on small sites.

You could try You Tube, you can make videos of yourself talking or doing whatever, that get you comments pro & con, but none of that friending/unfriending, so likely no feelings of big loss.

One of the good & bad things about the internet is nobody can send a fist through the computer, so most feel free to say what they really feel/believe. When people disagree with me, I tell myself they couldn't agree with me unless they read what I read, so I direct them to some sites. Best wishes!

Quote:
Yesterday, a woman I considered my oldest friend posted a little meme slamming my political party, so I replied stating I'm proud of my political party. Because of this, she unfriended and blocked me!!! Facebook is my only contact with her, so it's clear she has shut me out of her life, purely because of my political views. I feel she is at fault for posting what she did, knowing it was my party she was putting down. I'm very sorry about losing her friendship. Has anything like this ever happened to any one else here?

Last edited by GJJG2012; 11-06-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 05:16 AM

10,242 posts, read 9,333,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
this is why I shy away from talking about politics. It can get heated and arguments follow. Best to keep it to yourself or discuss with someone who has similiar views. I posted nothing yesterday anything of political nature and never do
Exactly, and I also include religion. . . two subjects I never debate.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM

773 posts, read 533,582 times
Politics and religion both require faith, that the one you chose will deliver. And when you find out you made the wrong choice, it's too late. You can't go back and change your vote. The only way to deal with those who say, "I told you so!" is to vehemently defend your choice (often times irrationally) or to swallow your pride and admit you were wrong.

Obviously, with religion you have to die before you know if you were right or wrong. But with politics, there's no shortage of people who voted for a politician who didn't deliver. And it always amuses me when those people complain about that and then re-elect them. I guess it proves that ego can overcome common sense.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Facebook drama... and not much of a friendship.

You actually started it by posting your party choice. Then so what if she countered with "a little meme"? You should have let it go.

One thing I don't get....
How are you friends with someone for 40 years and they don't already know your political leanings?
I have a friend from high school who I share emails with. We graduated many years ago. I have certainly shared my opinions but that has not slowed him down one bit from forwarding his political propaganda. I no longer even bother to send proof that many of his news/info things are wrong. Unfortunate now I just ignore my old friend.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 AM

894 posts, read 730,871 times
I would be curious, just for fun, to know the political affiliation of the "friend" that blocked you.

I've had 3 HS classmates (I'm mid-40's) that I WAS FB friends with. During the 2008 election, we would have discussions about various issues. In all 3 cases, they became extremely upset when they lost their arguments. (when I say lost, I simply posted a youtube video or an article disputing their stance with actual facts)

They would become so upset that they would sometimes delete my posts as if I had no response all the while railing on about their moral superiority. When they did address the response, it was merely an attack on those who disagree with them, nothing of substance or facts to back up their argument.

All 3 unfriended and 2 blocked me. I've never unfriended or blocked someone based on their views and I never would. I welcome other opinions. How else can you be informed? As such, I've had my opinions changed on abortion and gay rights over time, for example.

You guessed it, they were liberals. I've heard this happen all over the country.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 AM

16,992 posts, read 20,615,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
They say if you don't want to lose any friends, don't talk politics or religion. I also have strong
political beliefs, like the govt should not prevent people from making their own decisions on medical matters that may determine if they are sick or well, alive or dead. When I post life-saving info that disagrees with Docs &/or govt, some people sound about like they want to kill me!

It's best to discuss politics on political forums, since people are essentially inviting any people to post their opinion, & if anyone disagrees with a poster, they can explain why. People don't generally run away from a hot topic with that unfriending nonsense. Search for other political forums, but C-D is one of the biggest so you might have more influence here than on small sites.

You could try You Tube, you can make videos of yourself talking or doing whatever, that get you comments pro & con, but none of that friending/unfriending, so likely no feelings of big loss.

One of the good & bad things about the internet is nobody can send a fist through the computer, so most feel free to say what they really feel/believe. When people disagree with me, I tell myself they couldn't agree with me unless they read what I read, so I direct them to some sites. Best wishes!

You Tube? LOL, why the need to share all your views with everyone? Do you think most people really care what you think?

And in case you're not aware people can and have been tracked down by strangers(and in a few cases the police/FBI) for posting comments on You Tube. You're "nobody can send a fist through the computer" is very nave, they can instead show up at your doorstep.

In fact even here on CD there was an incident on the FL boards pertaining to that a couple of years ago, where an irate homebuilder showed up at another poster's home who was telling people don't move to a certain area in FL. The police were called. They had words for quite awhile back and forth on here and it escalated to the real world.

Why the need to tell everyone all your business?

Do you also post on FB when you will be going on vacation?

Want to change jobs, sure go ahead and put all your political views online, that's just brilliant. Employers are now using sites like FB to see what type of person they're hiring. A different POV on politics than the employer has will knock you right out of the running.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 AM

16,992 posts, read 20,615,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I would be curious, just for fun, to know the political affiliation of the "friend" that blocked you.

I've had 3 HS classmates (I'm mid-40's) that I WAS FB friends with. During the 2008 election, we would have discussions about various issues. In all 3 cases, they became extremely upset when they lost their arguments. (when I say lost, I simply posted a youtube video or an article disputing their stance with actual facts)

They would become so upset that they would sometimes delete my posts as if I had no response all the while railing on about their moral superiority. When they did address the response, it was merely an attack on those who disagree with them, nothing of substance or facts to back up their argument.

All 3 unfriended and 2 blocked me. I've never unfriended or blocked someone based on their views and I never would. I welcome other opinions. How else can you be informed? As such, I've had my opinions changed on abortion and gay rights over time, for example.

You guessed it, they were liberals. I've heard this happen all over the country.
I'm curious as to why someone who is in their mid 40s is bothering with people online(FB "friends") who you haven't had seen or had contact with in more than 20 yrs.

I could see if you were planning a HS reunion together or actually reconnected and planned on getting together in real life. But from your post, you just go online hunting down people from many years ago and you argue....how nice for you.

Why are you bothering with people from so long ago and your only contact is the computer????

Again, if it's to actually get together or plan a reunion, but for this nonsense.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:06 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post

This is, in essence, the problem. Both sides of the political equation suffer from a deep and profound confirmation bias that feeds a sense of moral vanity. They don't have ideology. Instead, they have narrative. So they choose the facts that fit their world view and ignore those that don't. Then, rather than looking at two competing schools of thought that have both merits and problems, they need to see it as a contest of good versus evil.

In truth, the only moral stance in voting today is to play keep away from both parties, doing your level best to make sure that neither party gets to fully control the levers of power. Because when a party controls both the White House and Congress, that's when the trouble begins. We wind up doing bone-headed things such as shoot our way into a sovereign country on non-existent evidence or overhaul 20% of the American economy without the vaguest understanding of the long-term consequences. All because neither political party really is interested in facts.

Both political parties hate gridlock. Well, I tend to think that gridlock is a pretty good thing. It keeps either political party from going off on some tear in fulfillment of their respective goofy ideologies. If something is really pressing and vital to the nation's interest, you'll be surprised how quickly they'll hammer out a compromise.

By the way, conservatives are just as guilty of this mindless nonsense as liberals, making both equally easy to destroy in an argument.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-06-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or