U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM

1,007 posts, read 862,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
You tend to wind up with the same mobility direction as the people you hang out with. Be careful.

Hanging out with a group of people who are all trying to improve themselves, get the next promotion, going to networking events, etc, will probably help your career and overall direction in life.

Hanging out with people who are on a destructive path downard will likely result in them dragging you down with them, either directly (asking you for money, borrowing/not returning things, or maybe even stealing) or indirectly (causing you to lower your standards because you can say "at least I'm not that bad").

It's not to say that people in the second group all need to be avoided... but you need to be careful if you're hanging around them too much.
This is good advice. I have found it strange when I run into people I used to know and they have gone in this direction. In a way I felt like maybe we can be friends like we were before, but I always found that we have little in common, there is not a lot to talk about, and it feels awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
The bus pass was a terrific idea and it really mattered, I am sure.

Any help with food banks, etc. as another poster mentioned is an excellent idea, too.

You obviously know what you are doing with boundaries. I think it is very kind and admirable that you would feel concern for these folks -- and you can still be of assistance with information (when you feel the time is right) without getting really enmeshed in their lives.

It is just a matter of human kindness. Your friend's story is so upsetting - he has had very real problems to deal with and his health issues sound pretty dire.

You are a good person for weighing this out. We don't have to enable or even "reward" folks when we are able to reach out and assist and I feel confident you will figure out where the lines are with overstepping and getting enmeshed. I wish you the very best. It would have been easy to have just turned away and you didn't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or