Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Father/Dads: Do you recommend having children to other men in today's world?
Yes 20 40.00%
No 15 30.00%
Maybe, Depends 13 26.00%
No Comment 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,619 times

Advertisements

this is just a generic (blind) poll seeking wisdom from guys who have been there and have experienced fatherhood (in what ever form, from absentee to equally shared parenting to stay-at-home dad, etc.).

with some of the social, economic and relationship challenges we have today, i'm curious about the results of this basic question: dads/fathers, given what you know now, would you recommend, support or otherwise encourage younger men to consider have children at some point in their life?

there is obviously lots of information out there on single parenting (in and out of wedlock), the advantages to children raised by two parent, post-divorce custody/visitation arrangements to raise and support children, and interestingly some ppl who advocate or have decided not to have children, whether through choice, lack of opportunity, or personal beliefs (e.g., "it's a harsh world to grow up in"). so i though some contemporary feedback would be interesting.

and, finally, this is not a question of "do you wish you never had children", it's sharing your experienced wisdom with other men thinking about or desiring to have children at some point in their life. no judging please, and no opinion is greater than another so long as conception and childbirth occurred.

a vote is all that is requested. comment as you if you want, but we all know that everyone is entitle to their own individual opinion and the experiences of others many not be the same as yours. please avoid gender politics, politically sensitive or other controversial commentary. i'm just curious about the philosophical concept really.

and ladies, respectfully, please don't vote since i think the poll results could prove interesting to everyone for discussion purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 PM

i'm on the same wave length as you, though i'm hearing fairly strong opinions across the board. for sure modern technology, economic challenges, and declining traditional values are having a tremendous influence on raising kids and ppl's decision to have them.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:15 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
what is a fatherhood day? Fathers on the fathers day with hats on?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go for the SWAG View Post
Well, I'll say that a child can bring a joy to a mans life that few other things can. I had my nephews up here this summer and I always take them out in my boat fishing while they are here. I got the boys on a hot spot of fish that they were pulling them in nearly every cast. The oldest one caught a 16" largemouth bass that would make any seasoned fisherman grin ear to ear. Minutes later he caught two more nice ones. I wish I had a camera..... He'll live with that memory for the rest of his life. His younger brother caught some big lake perch too. It's just one of the things "I" do with/for them that no one else does. My Sister has to practically beg them to come back home. It's all they talk about, coming up and spending time with their Uncle. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

do you think your desire to have children could be fulfilled by exactly what your are doing right now with your sisters kids? or maybe helping other young kids, including helping raise another man's kids as in the case of being in an LTR with a single mom?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
You don't know until you actually try it. Yes. It's a life-long hobby, especially when, as adults, they ignore you and then in the middle of the night you have a sobbing son or daughter on the other end of the phone; you find a phone booth; put on your superman costume; grab a flight from Copenhagen to Memphis; drive them across the country to San Francisco, and help them get back on their feet.

It's like being a volunteer fire-fighter.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
YES! We must breed in order to outnumber the evil people and the dumb*sses of the world.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
YES! We must breed in order to outnumber the evil people and the dumb*sses of the world.
Be careful with this proclamation. The dumba*&es are the only ones really breeding these days.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Be careful with this proclamation. The dumba*&es are the only ones really breeding these days.
...which is why the rest of us should not stop!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
NO, but its probably not for the reasons that anyone here would understand.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:21 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go for the SWAG View Post
I love kids.....

From reading around here, I think I am one of the few men who does. That's alright, I was also a Cub Scout and Boy Scout before I became a U.S. Marine. I have been thinking about doing Scouting as something once again to help kids. I see my old Troop around on Saturday's selling BBQ chicken for a fund raiser. I always stop in and say hello. The boys know me now and also know who and what I was after.

You're very welcome boys!

Now lets get some leather and make some sheaths or carve some walking sticks!
Kudos to you for volunteering your time with scouting.
My kids were in scouts when they were young. Their father passed when they were little so I helped out a lot with their troop. There was a huge lack of father involvement for whatever reason. A lot of these young boys could really use a positive male figure in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships