Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times

Advertisements

Recently it feels like every other person I know is having a baby. Cousins, coworkers, friends, etc. It can get really expensive buying gifts for all of these babies, too. I try my best but one thing I really hate is when I don't get any kind of 'thank you' in return.

A couple of months ago we went to a 1 year old's birthday party, the daughter of my husband's best friend. It was not a big party, and many people were annoyed that they rushed the gifts inside of the house without opening them. 3 months later, and we have yet to get any kind of thank you for the gift, verbal or written. Yesterday the father (who is my husband's best friend) texted my husband a picture of his daughter playing with the gift we got her, but, again, no actual thank you written. Is this his version of a thank you?

I understand if you don't want to go through the trouble of opening the gifts in front of everyone, but at least send some kind of a thank you card, or even a text or email. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
At a one year old's birthday party they don't generally open gifts. Sadly thank you notes have mostly disappeared.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,398 times
If they have send a photo with playing with it that is the digital thank you as new world say. But if some one did not grow up in a society where they use "thank you" "please" "Accept my apology" no way they use them as grown ups. Take it easy.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:10 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Recently it feels like every other person I know is having a baby. Cousins, coworkers, friends, etc. It can get really expensive buying gifts for all of these babies, too. I try my best but one thing I really hate is when I don't get any kind of 'thank you' in return.

A couple of months ago we went to a 1 year old's birthday party, the daughter of my husband's best friend. It was not a big party, and many people were annoyed that they rushed the gifts inside of the house without opening them. 3 months later, and we have yet to get any kind of thank you for the gift, verbal or written. Yesterday the father (who is my husband's best friend) texted my husband a picture of his daughter playing with the gift we got her, but, again, no actual thank you written. Is this his version of a thank you?

I understand if you don't want to go through the trouble of opening the gifts in front of everyone, but at least send some kind of a thank you card, or even a text or email. Am I wrong?
It's a "hey, look, my kid is playing with the toy you got her." If they don't say "thank you" then imo, it's not a thank you.

How about going to a bridal shower and wedding, spending almost $400 between the 2 events with no thank you for the shower gift and no thank for the wedding gift AND they got divorced less than a year after they got married.

Another bridal shower I went to requested that everyone use clear wrapping cello paper or wrap twine around heavy boxes. The bride didn't open a single gift. Got a thank you card around 3 weeks before the wedding. The shower was 4 months before the wedding.

I completely agree with you.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,971 times
I can't tell you how many graduation gifts, birthday gifts, wedding gifts and baby gifts I've given over the last five years and not received one thank-you card. Not even a thank-you text or email. I think common courtesy is a thing of the past. Everything now is just gimme, gimme, gimme.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:18 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Were you all thanked when you handed the gift over at the party?

If they did, and not excusing them, but perhaps they thought a verbal thank you at the party was sufficient. Sadly, many people don't realize the polite and considerate thing to do is to send a written thank you.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Were you all thanked when you handed the gift over at the party?

If they did, and not excusing them, but perhaps they thought a verbal thank you at the party was sufficient. Sadly, many people don't realize the polite and considerate thing to do is to send a written thank you.

Nope, no verbal thank-yous at the part either. In fact, the wife (who is not a nice person in general) was kind of rushing us out at the end of the party. We drove 2 hours to get there, and even came early to help set up.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:55 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
Formal thank you notes are falling by the wayside. I used to send them for everything, but that has diminished as I saw that not many people do this anymore.

Weddings, funerals, graduations, and showers are pretty much the only time most people send thank you notes. I have rarely gotten a TY card for a birthday gift. I even stopped sending them after 8 years of no one else doing it.

I don't get upset about not getting a thank you card. I only send presents if I want to send them, and only spend what I can afford.

Life is too short to get worked up over this.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:08 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
You're not wrong. It's weird when people don't thank you for a gift. I have noticed it more and more as time goes on. Sometimes people don't even acknowledge that they got the gift. That is even weirder because then I'm left wondering if it got lost or the card got misplaced or something. I guess the photo with the gift is the acknowledgement but I don't know why they couldn't include a short note of thanks.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
I don't like thank you notes, they seem empty. Also...its kind of hard to keep on top of them when you have a little one. What I do is if I see the person often I say "thanks so much for the doll, little jane loves it" or something to that effect. I have many times sent a photo of my kids playing with the toy, usually with a thank you attached, but I kind of thought "look at her loving this toy" is sort of like a thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships