Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Your mom could easily have another 15 to 20 years to go. Idont know why he would say that. Very rude.
He sounds about as exasperated as I was when my parents got their FIFTH dog (all un house broken). Sure, my parents, and the OP's mother, could all live another 15-20 years but those little dogs could also live another 10-15 years and it's unlikely that even in the best of circumstances that the elderly people in question will be able to give a HERD of dogs the attention they need 10 years from now.

My dad is always saying, "Heck, I don't even buy green bananas anymore."

Elderly people don't always just drop dead either - sometimes they go into the hospital and rehab for weeks or months at a time. Who takes care of all those dogs then? Heck, you can't even give them away when the owner is planning on coming back home in a few weeks or months - someone has to take care of all those dogs during that time. AUGH.

I sound like a jerk, but I don't care. I am actually a dog lover - an animal lover in fact - but the thought of having to take care of five small dogs for anyone just about drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Theoretically, anybody with a couple of dogs can drop dead at any time, with no provisions to take care of their dogs. My dogs are in my will with directions as to where they will go. Its important whether you are 70 or 40. There's no reason why they can't put something in their will directing where their pups will go.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Theoretically, anybody with a couple of dogs can drop dead at any time, with no provisions to take care of their dogs. My dogs are in my will with directions as to where they will go. Its important whether you are 70 or 40. There's no reason why they can't put something in their will directing where their pups will go.
And, also make sure that you have someone who can step in immediately if something happens like you need to go suddenly go out of town to help an ill relative, or you get seriously ill or you break your hip and end up in a hospital/rehab place for a few weeks (or a few months).

Old 11-15-2014, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Yep, and they need to be SURE that the person they leave these little preciouses to WANTS to take on four dogs. Most pet lovers already have pets of their own.

Once again, I think the OPs brother may be reacting out of the horror of the NUMBER of dogs his mother is bent on collecting.

My very elderly in laws have one dog. He brings them so much joy. He's housebroken and he's well behaved. When they haven't been able to take care of him (when they've been ill), between my husband and his brother, we've been able to manage. The thing is, it's very common for HOAs around here to have a limit on the number of pets, and even if they don't, pet lovers who have several pets already may be able to take in ONE MORE but four or five more? Wow. No thanks.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I can see both sides of it. On one hand, your mom is over the age of 18 and can do as she pleases. And she's already taken the dogs so complaining about it to her won't help any. Also, "almost 70" isn't THAT old, many people are in their late 60s and can look forward to many, many years of good health. On the other hand, your brother voices a legitimate concern and maybe mom could use a bit of a reality check, particularly if she does have health issues.

Either way, I think letting your mom vent to you (if she's even upset by his comment) and staying out of it is what I would do - they're both adults, they can hash it out.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Tell your mom to tell your brother not to worry, that her dogs are getting his inheritance so that someone will take care of them.
THIS!

The dogs my mom has a 12 y.o Boston Terrier, 9 y.o Weiner Dog, 1 y.o Boston Terrier, and a 5 Y.O rat with legs.

My brother picked an awful time to shoot his mouth off. My mom ran out of her antidepressants, tried to tell me she was fine never felt better, but ran into problems. I nagged her every day to refill her prescription, she did, was feeling somewhat better, and my brother shoots his mouth off.

Mom is in good health knock on wood, she eats right, and part of her daily exercise is walking her dogs.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, and they need to be SURE that the person they leave these little preciouses to WANTS to take on four dogs. Most pet lovers already have pets of their own.

Once again, I think the OPs brother may be reacting out of the horror of the NUMBER of dogs his mother is bent on collecting.

My very elderly in laws have one dog. He brings them so much joy. He's housebroken and he's well behaved. When they haven't been able to take care of him (when they've been ill), between my husband and his brother, we've been able to manage. The thing is, it's very common for HOAs around here to have a limit on the number of pets, and even if they don't, pet lovers who have several pets already may be able to take in ONE MORE but four or five more? Wow. No thanks.
Mom is not a hoarder. Frankly, I find your attitude towards seniors bordering on ageism.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hmmm... That's your BROTHER/family member you're talking about. WHOA!
I stand by my assertion, he is all that and more. He always says something rude and without tact to people.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Your mom could easily have another 15 to 20 years to go. Idont know why he would say that. Very rude.
I know elders who have outlived their children. In fact a lady I work for turned 93 and did 40 squats on her birthday~!

Old 11-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I can see both sides of it. On one hand, your mom is over the age of 18 and can do as she pleases. And she's already taken the dogs so complaining about it to her won't help any. Also, "almost 70" isn't THAT old, many people are in their late 60s and can look forward to many, many years of good health. On the other hand, your brother voices a legitimate concern and maybe mom could use a bit of a reality check, particularly if she does have health issues.

Either way, I think letting your mom vent to you (if she's even upset by his comment) and staying out of it is what I would do - they're both adults, they can hash it out.
She was so hurt she called me right after their phone conversation.

He once said to her, she should sell her horse, and move in with his family. My mom waited until we were grown and left home to get a horse. The first horse she adopted was retired and the poor beast died of cancer, right after her father had died of cancer, soon after that her husband, my dad died! So she bought another horse an Appaloosa nothing fancy.

Again, my mom is active and her animals help her to stay social and get physical exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships