Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times

Advertisements

Why are African and Indian families always living apart?

Here are a few examples:

1. African British Friend lives in America with her dad, her cousins live there and her mum lives in the UK.
2. My sister is married to a Nigerian whos mum lives in Scotland alongside sisters, one sister lives in England and the father and other siblings live in Nigeria. Some live in New Zealand.
3. Indian classmate lives in England, mum lives in Northern Ireland and cousins live in England, India and America.
4. Indian classmate in England, family in NI and cousins in England.

What is this? Why are they spread all over the world? I find it weird how my sisters husbands parents live in seperate countries thousands of miles away??? How can this even be a marriage??

At their wedding they told us so many customs that were odd! I didn't know how to take the man, he put his hand upto his face at the dinner table and faced backwards to my mum.. My sister had us sat beside the grooms sisters and they sat on their phone speaking their language constantly.. Didn't even say hello. Tried to understand them but just couldn't get the way they lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Well, could it just be immigration to other countries? I've never noticed it as odd. Here, People from the same African country tend to live all together in an apartment complex or neighborhood. But they often have other family who couldn't or didn't want to immigrate to the US.

Same with Indians. And families tend to live together for a long time.

Americans often live all over the place, so it's not unusual to me I guess.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Different societal norms. I bet they think you're weird too.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
You are taking your limited knowledge of these cultures and applying a broad generalization that is likely incorrect. Instead of trying to understand some incorrectly assumed trait about the cultures, how about you ask those families the reasons for their situations (without being too intrusive)?

Anyone else starting to think that Summerwhale/Mac15 is the teenage version of I'm Retired Now?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
Husband and wife living apart is definitely strange.
Other than that, people spread out all over the world for lack of opportunities or too much competition for limited opportunities in their own area.
I think a few British people did the same a few hundred years ago until they decided to be Americans. At least the Indians and Africans are not collecting British scalps in UK (I assume.)

Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post

...asks the person who wants to move away from family and live in another country.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post

Here are a few examples:

1. African British Friend lives in America with her dad, her cousins live there and her mum lives in the UK.
2. My sister is married to a Nigerian whos mum lives in Scotland alongside sisters, one sister lives in England and the father and other siblings live in Nigeria. Some live in New Zealand.
3. Indian classmate lives in England, mum lives in Northern Ireland and cousins live in England, India and America.
4. Indian classmate in England, family in NI and cousins in England.

What is this? Why are they spread all over the world? I find it weird how my sisters husbands parents live in seperate countries thousands of miles away??? How can this even be a marriage??
You never heard of migration? And you want to study Geography?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:35 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Different societal norms. I bet they think you're weird too.
You don't need to be African to think that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships