Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Paid off their house?
Is that best thing? Or is that coda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
So here's what I do

I give large tips frequently. I know how hard people in the service industry work and especially when I get to know someone a bit I like to help them out.

I also buy christmas gifts for disadvantaged kids and families. It's so nice to buy for kids who have needs. My kids have too much!

I also enlist my friends to help me out with my projects. Many people are willing and have $ to give, but just don't take the time to find the projects. I'm the friend who always reminds them.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM

388 posts, read 686,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I will say some of the nicest things people did for me.

When I was a kid we were very poor. Often people would show up with a full box for thanksgiving, turkey too! Some times Christmas gifts. And every year a family we knew would bring us a tree. Those little things people do for poor kids...it really can make a huge impact. One year we did toys for tots, I got a warm blanket. Man did that make me happy (it's what I asked for).

We had a schizophrenic neighbor I was terrified of. Well our power got turned off and he showed up, paid the bill and bought groceries for us. I thought it was the nicest thing ever. Was still a little afraid of him, to be honest. I was young.

I had a teacher in jr high really take an interest in me and my special talents and really encouraged me. I felt very loved. She gave me an award that year in the end of the year awards ceremony and I busted out crying and ran from the auditorium. I bet she was confused.

Gosh, I can't count all the blessings I had growing up by friends, teachers and even strangers. Although I feel like everyone I say has a bit of a downer side to it. Still, I am so thankful to all of them.
Thanks for sharing. I give to poor kids each year at Christmas and I've always wondered if it really makes an impact. I nearly cried when you shared about your blanket. I will go to bed tonight and be reminded to be thankful.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
|Not including wife or girlfriends because as a man, there are certain things you just do|

I used to race motorcycles and a friend and competitor crashed and broke his throttle cable one weekend. I was done for the weekend so I took the cable off of my bike and let him use it so he could finish his last race. He returned the favor a few months later and drove me home from a trackday after I crashed and got a concussion. He waited in the hospital until 9pm that night then drove me, my bike and all of my gear 2.5 hrs from Mid America Motorplex to my house in Kansas City.

Last edited by HTY483; 11-20-2014 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 07:24 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
With the last car I was ready to trade in, I instead donated it to a charity that helps people in the community who are struggling. It still was functional and had about 70,000 miles on it. Could have gotten a few thousand for it, but figured it would be of more use to someone who really needed some transportation. The working single mom who it was given to wrote me a thank you letter saying I was the most generous person she never met! Felt good to do it. Funny---I don't give small amounts to every charity, but giving something so major felt like the right thing to do.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
What a wonderful idea for a thread.

I thought of some things...but then I got shy to say them.

But, I will say, a lot has to do with homeless people...that's enough to say.
And I only say it so maybe it will give others ideas to do things esp this cold Winter for them.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
This is something...I told a client I collected things to help the Homeless
or needy (esp children) in the Winter...he said, Remind me of that before I leave...I did
and he gave me $500 cash...I bought NEW things from Marshalls
for kids...new pjs, snow jumpsuits for 5 year olds, new teeny down
jackets, scarves, etc...they were amazed at this church bec kids never get NEW stuff!
Nice, guy.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
...This is a nice thread, even if we're sort of turning it on its head.
Ok with me as long as the negativity is held at bay.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I had a really nice benefactor who paid for my college education. He was a quite wealthy man who did this for numerous students. It was a pretty neat thing that he did and I still can't quite believe it.
I received a college scholarship because of a group of donors. A year ago I had the chance to go to their headquarters in Washington, D.C. with my family. I walked inside and said, "Thank you. You will never know what you did for me." I cried. They cried. Everyone cried.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I received a college scholarship because of a group of donors. A year ago I had the chance to go to their headquarters in Washington, D.C. with my family. I walked inside and said, "Thank you. You will never know what you did for me." I cried. They cried. Everyone cried.
Nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships