Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:24 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't normally think anything of a 21 year old continuing to live at home, as long as they were functioning as an adult member of the household. That's not the case here. OP, you probably can't contribute your share of the cell phone plan, but as someone else said, you can call or go to the insurance agent and set up they payments to come to you. You can easily pay for your own gas, and for heavens sake shop without your mother. Having looked at the other thread that was mentioned, there is a very strange dynamic going on, and a fresh start alone (without cutting your parents out of your life) would probably be very healthy.
This is another highly unusual young wealthy woman story again, I can't help but think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Some people are jealous because you have it made basically.
Codependency is nothing to envy.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:36 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
if my mom asks (she runs the household). Realistically, nothing I give them is going to give them a boost in their combined income. It's token money. I think if they see me blowing off my money, they will charge me rent though. But I've never been one to buy a lot of things. The most expensive thing I own is my laptop which was a whooping $400 dollars.

Romantic life? I don't really believe in intimate relations before marriage.

expectations? we aren't a particularly communicative family. I think the idea is I do well. My mom is lobbying hard for graduate school at this moment. She wants me to give up my job and go to graduate school. My dad has been and will always be aloof. I think I'd be expected to go to some grad school within a year. It's ok, there's one in downtown atlanta that isn't hard to get into and made for the working adult. I'll probably go for that. Between my parents and my employer, I may be able to go to grad school for free. that's nice.

I'm mostly saving the money for a downpayment for a house or some rental units. I'm also thinking about quitting the working world when I'm like 25/26 to go to a good full time MBA program. It would be nice to have some saved up money then. I'd feel a little bad if my parents paid for that one.
You are awesome. Keep doing what you are doing!

If you would have said you are 35 and blow all your money on video games and booze, I would have said get out of that house.

But you are very young and your intentions are great

Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
Quote:
I landed a job right after college that pays an ok salary for my area (60k/year in metro Atlanta). The job is around 10 minutes away (w/o traffic) from my parent's house. The cost of living in the city my parents live is fairly high (the average family income is like 140k/year to give you a reference) and the city my job is located has an even higher rent. I don't want to spend most of my salary on rent. I could live in a cheaper area, but it will be a lot more in commute time.

My parents have more than enough room for me (it's a 5 bedroom house and there's also a mother in law suite - and I'm an only child).

I told a few people about my plan, and they told me it was weird and that I was acting like a spoiled brat. I don't know, I'm still going to do it, but is it really that weird? I read that a lot of people my age (21) are still dependent on their parents/will live with their parents after college.

Yes, it is weird. I wouldn't date someone who did that . there are probaly underlying mommy issues here.

You are not entitled to be able to afford to live in the city you work in. I work in one city, and live 30 minutes away in the city I can afford to live in.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't find it weird for a 21 year old to be living with parents. On the other hand, I live in NYC where rents are sky high, and many 21 year olds can't afford to live on their own. I don't think it's a bad idea to live there for a year and save money toward graduate school or a home downpayment.

However, that said, I wonder what happened to this sentiment:
i've come to accept them. my mom has gotten a lot more pleasant now that I have a job. She even told me she loved me and was proud of me.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Generally, I don't think there's anything wrong with adult children living with their parents as long as all are in agreement. It's a good way to save money and help each other out.

But if you're going to do that, you need to be at the very least paying for your gasoline, cell phone, car insurance, clothes, etc. And do your share of cooking, cleaning and errand running. Under those circumstances, you are adults sharing living space in an arrangement that benefits everyone. If your parents are paying for everything and you only shop with your mother, then you are an overage child living with your parents. There's a difference.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Yes, it is weird. I wouldn't date someone who did that . there are probaly underlying mommy issues here.
^This. I know a 40 year old woman who lives with her parents. I'very known her for over 5 years. She's had maybe 2 dates in that time frame.

Time goes by quickly.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
I loved being a parent.

I loved raising my sons.

I love my empty nest.

re: "She even told me she loved me and was proud of me."

Have you not heard that often in your life?

Last edited by GiGi603; 11-21-2014 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: /////////

Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
Quote:
I landed a job right after college that pays an ok salary for my area (60k/year in metro Atlanta). The job is around 10 minutes away (w/o traffic) from my parent's house. The cost of living in the city my parents live is fairly high (the average family income is like 140k/year to give you a reference) and the city my job is located has an even higher rent. I don't want to spend most of my salary on rent. I could live in a cheaper area, but it will be a lot more in commute time.

My parents have more than enough room for me (it's a 5 bedroom house and there's also a mother in law suite - and I'm an only child).

I told a few people about my plan, and they told me it was weird and that I was acting like a spoiled brat. I don't know, I'm still going to do it, but is it really that weird? I read that a lot of people my age (21) are still dependent on their parents/will live with their parents after college.
Considering the fact that they are calling our generation the 'Boomerang Generation' meaning you leave for a short period (for college) then come right back to parents' house, no it is not weird. Would I want to be couped up in my parents' house even though they have the room? Not particularly.

But if you are saving up for a down payment on a house (which is what I'm doing as well!) or saving up for a top MBA program that you mentioned in another post then it sounds like a viable option for you and it's great you have that opportunity - especially in a high cost area. Living in NYC, I can tell you it has taken me over a year to reach my down payment goal since the cost of living is so expensive whereas if I lived with my parents I could have hit it much sooner.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:05 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I loved being a parent. I loved raising my three sons.

I love my empty nest.
I could have written this. And, I'm going to sound hypocritical, because our oldest moved back home after college and lived here through grad school. Now our middle son is back home after graduation, and just started a full-time job. But, while I wouldn't deny my sons a roof over their head, and I genuinely enjoy their company, I would prefer to see them out on their own.

They would rather be on their own. We have no rules beyond picking up after yourself, but having lived away all through college, they have a completely different life style that doesn't always mesh with that of their parents. As hard as I try not to worry, until middle son is home I'm not going to sleep well. And, he goes out every single night. I'm sure he did the same thing at college, but I could pretend he was in the library studying then.

Spread your wings and fly, and learn to live on a budget for a change OP. It will serve you well in the end, and might do your parents well to be less involved in your life, and more in their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships