Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 05:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
Really - I'm not that difficult. Named because of the years spent in Difficult, Tennessee. A very relaxed and calm area. Just a couple of miles from Defeated, TN.
Haha! Love those colorful names - I'm sure they have interesting stories.

We have Little Hope right down the road...and Possum Kingdom. Just...wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG LOL great stories, all.

My UN is the same from a diet board I hung out on. Me and my buddies lost their weight and a younger crowd took over so I don't post there anymore.

I originally wanted CCGirl but it was taken; had to do the last C in lower case because someone else has the same UN.

My DH and I collect, restore, part out and sell vintage Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractors.

Ironically, I am also a huge fan of Coach products which the logo is a bunch of C's.

For some reason I thought Magnatomicflux might have been a welder. I think it's the flux part. A plumber maybe?

I do think our UN's say something about ourselves. Some more than others.
Cool Latin quote under your user name, by the way - I may start a thread on those too!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I fly radio controlled helicopters as a hobby. One day I had a very messy crash in a dirt field - the helicopter was churning-up a cloud of dust, and a bystander remarked "Wow, that's a real dirt grinder."

BTW - I don't wear overalls .
Well, I have to say that I am relieved by that. I will herewith correct my mental image of you!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The East Frisian View Post
I have chosen my username, because i still feel very much at home in East Frisia, even though i haven't lived there for over 30+ years.
I was born already in my current location but raised the first two years of my life on a small wadden island with a long sandy beach in the North Sea. That's where my mother originally came from and this is where i still have some relatives and friends.
Also i'm trying to visit the island at least once a year (mainly in the summer :-))
You're from a cold place - LOL! But I bet it's got it's own brand of beauty.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:27 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'd love to stick a psychoanalyst on that one. (JUST KIDDING!)

I don't think we need to read too much into user names, of course.

But to me, user names are a lot like T shirts. Usually the wearer picked out the T-shirt because there was something about the message or logo or whatever that meant something to them. And then sometimes the wearer just grabbed up something off the bottom of their roommate's closet and put it on for merely practical reasons.

So while it's interesting to wonder about in passing - it's not something I'd use as a character call - unless of course, as HFB pointed out, it was something meant to be crude. I feel the same way about the few blatantly inflammatory or obvious names of a small minority of posters on this site, most of whom tend to come and go.

Occasionally, but not often, I'll see a name that's got religious meaning. Or a name that's got a character trait in it, like "gentle" or "Artist" or something like that - and occasionally I see names that include a career field or hobby. I'm pretty sure those people mean to send an indicator of a trait they like or something that they do that's important to them.
I find I sometimes wonder in passing what screen names means to their users, and sometimes get a chuckle out of a name as I enjoy the play on words evident in the names, but other than that, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

As for my screen name, it was born when one time I was trying to create an account at the AAA travel site. I tried variations of my real name, some on a few of my favorite screen names ( named for pets) but just couldn't come up with anything, no matter what the name, that wasn't already in use. I personally don't like using names with numbers after them, especially when the number has to be large because there are so many of the same names in use, so I kept trying. After about 50 names, I hit on Travelassie, and found it was not in use. I've used the name ever since for several forums.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 PM

338 posts, read 420,979 times
Anybody on here who's also a CBer and reads my posts (well, most of them) can probably figure out my choice of handle!

Come back...

Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
To me, it reminds me of someone who is stoned, who was born in 1989. "Dazed and Confused" comes to my mind (the movie). Why did you choose that name and what does it mean to you?
It's the Danish word for Freedom and refers to the year 1989 when the Iron Curtain came down.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Anyone seen the hash tag #christianmingleusernames on Twitter? Oh dear, I was rolling on the floor

7 minute Adventist

Jesus on the street Satan in the sheets

among others not appropriate to post here

Old 11-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It's the Danish word for Freedom and refers to the year 1989 when the Iron Curtain came down.
That's cool! When the Berlin Wall went down, my husband was already in Germany and I was waiting for housing. I got there with the kids just a few weeks later. The feeling was still electrifying and so exciting. I was so glad to be living there during that historic time. We got to go into the former Eastern Bloc countries and in some cases we were literally the first Americans they'd seen in over 40 years.

One of my most cherished memories was of stopping in a little village in what was Czechoslovakia and when the owner realized where we were from, he came running out with little Czech flags and little American flags and put them in the center of the table in an arrangement - and then wouldn't let us pay for any of our beer! We couldn't speak well to each other, because all of us were massacring the German language but we managed to understand the feeling of mutual interest, appreciation, and good will. It was a great evening.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Haha! Love those colorful names - I'm sure they have interesting stories.

We have Little Hope right down the road...and Possum Kingdom. Just...wow.
Off topic aside: Don't forget Whynot, ND and Nowthen, MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships