Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I think you need to read the OP again:

I guess I'm missing the part where the OP is having a good laugh over it.
LOL Gotcha. But in my defense, I didn't know you were addressing the OP only since you didn't quote anyone.

And before I saw your reply - actually as soon as I wrote the post - I went back and made it less snarky, so I'm sorry you saw the first draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
We get one Christmas letter each year which is absolutely hilarious. This family is so creative and writes a really funny parody of those other christmas letters. It's just the best....I'm usually crying I'm laughing so hard!
Oh man, I love those! We have gotten them a time or two and they are great!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL Gotcha. But in my defense, I didn't know you were addressing the OP only since you didn't quote anyone.

And before I saw your reply - actually as soon as I wrote the post - I went back and made it less snarky, so I'm sorry you saw the first draft.
Not a problem. Didn't mean to sound snarky myself either. I'm just someone who sends out Christmas cards every year (just plain old cards) and have some immediate family members who never ever ever ever send one back. Or call to say happy holidays. Or put up a frigging Facebook post saying "have a good one". I'm getting to the point where I'd like to scratch some people off the list, but every year, in the holiday spirit, I try to be the bigger person. So when someone goes through the time and expense to send out a holiday greeting, I have trouble sympathizing with the person who is griping about getting it.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
I've always liked them. And as you say, OP, if their lives aren't really like that (and you know it) it is worth a good chuckle. However, with practically every relative I know on Facebook, none of it is news. The death of the Christmas letter.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
My outrageous gay neighbor used to send the best ones, hilariously real. We got to hear about his breakups, his stint in rehab for crystal meth and his adventures in the red light district of Berlin.

I miss those! Damn social media, ruining it for the Christmas letter.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ah, well - I'm not offended at all, but thanks for the clarification!

Every year while I was married to my ex husband, we got the most repulsive letter from his sister. Knowing what that family was REALLY like, their newsletter was absolutely insane. They were some of the weirdest people I have ever known - I mean truly horrible people in many ways, and I often felt sorry for their kids. But this newsletter - OMG, it was so self righteous and sanctimonious! It was full of stories about their mission trips, their home schooling awards, their church activities, etc and while there's nothing inherently wrong with any of that, I knew just how dysfunctional and weird and sad their family was and their misrepresentation would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

I think this insight may have made me a bit cynical about the whole concept!
Ha ha, I know the type. We call it "Fakebook life" on Facebook. The husband wants a divorce, house is a mess, they are broke, kids aren't taken care of, constant fighting..........but on Facebook it's pictures of their expensive vacation, photos of them cuddling and poems about love and devotion and all the "supermom" things she supposedly does. Then you get to read the comments from their friends/admirers not "in-the-know" about how great their family is.

We don't get the Christmas letters anymore because everyone does the updates daily on Facebook instead of once a year in the mail..........but same concept.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
My mother in law sends one...a very embellished one. Many years ago I transported cancelled checks for a job. She wrote about my job transporting important documents for banks. Everything was made to sound better than it was.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Not a problem. Didn't mean to sound snarky myself either. I'm just someone who sends out Christmas cards every year (just plain old cards) and have some immediate family members who never ever ever ever send one back. Or call to say happy holidays. Or put up a frigging Facebook post saying "have a good one". I'm getting to the point where I'd like to scratch some people off the list, but every year, in the holiday spirit, I try to be the bigger person. So when someone goes through the time and expense to send out a holiday greeting, I have trouble sympathizing with the person who is griping about getting it.
I know what you mean about the Christmas cards - apparently they are becoming a lost art. Which is a shame because I really enjoy sending them out each year - and receiving them each year. And like you, I always send out more than I receive.

Hmmmm.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
I like getting them.

I am not on social media, so I do not hear the day to day stuff. So for me, it is nice to get a quick synopsis of the year. I am disappointed when I open a Christmas card and it's just signed - note personal note, no letter, no picture, no update. Sure, some are pretty braggy...vacationed in Spain in January, Hawaii in February, skied in Utah in March, cruised in April, etc. Oh well. It is fun to see pictures of others kids and grandkids growing up.

I always send out something extra with my cards. Some years it's been a picture collage. Other years it's been letters, but usually written from an interesting perspective....from the fish's point of view, or life in our house as the dog saw it, or from the cats' points of view. I have fun with it. Based on feedback from those who receive my letters, they like them and look forward to them.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I'd rather read about someone's trip to the Antarctic (I have interesting friends) then "The dog died the day Big Mike lost his job."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships