Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:42 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I use that term (?) "dh" frequently for want of a better term on the net. I have read and always understood it meant, dear husband. Wow. I will still use it as I have never heard of the other explanation.
Yes, a lot of people use it on the Internet. I had just never seen it before I came to City-Data. I had never heard anyone refer to their husband as "dear husband", so that didn't come to mind. Certainly have heard lots of women refer to their husbands as "d*ckhead".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I think that's a Latino thing.
It is. I chuckled when I saw that. My blond, blue-eyed, Jewish coworker is married to a Peruvian woman, and he is Papi since they had their son.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojobojo View Post
I feel less inclined to comment on this than I would a mother who would call her daughter who is over 15 something like, "Kimmie" or her son who is well into adulthood "Billie."
I had a boss named Tim. He was in his fifties, and a sort of serious, dignified man. One day his wife came to the office to meet him because they were going out afterward, but he was not back from lunch. I saw her sitting in his office and asked if I could get her anything, and she said, "Oh, no, I'm just waiting for Timmy." You know I couldn't keep that to myself, and forever after until he retired, we on his staff all referred to him as Timmy behind his back.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I am called "Mom", "Mommy," "Mamaw", "Ma", "Bev". "Hon" by my family or my friends each of them refer to who I am and I wear each title proudly and with love.

Here, where I live,(Eastern KY) probably 90 percent of the people no matter their age always refer to their parents as Mommy and Daddy.

The very first question any of the really old people here ask a new resident is "Who's your daddy?" They are just curious if they know your family or if you are a relative since most people here are related in some way. Great conversation starter as they can each go on and on with "Do you know______" questions

Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
I think it's a regional thing. I know people from the South who still call their parents "Momma" and "Daddy" even as adults. It doesn't bother me.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:34 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Am I the only one that cringes when I hear grown kids call their father, "Daddy"?

I don't really think, even if I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my father, I would have called him Daddy in my adult years.
In the South it's more of a cultural thing so hearing it from someone in the South doesn't faze me. In other parts of the country I find it strange. I dated someone that called her mom Mommy all the time and it drove me crazy. I found it so immature.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
When I lived in Texas, I found it was very common for both male and female grown adults to refer to their father as "daddy".

For some reason they tended to refer to their mothers as "mother", which I found strange. You'd think it would be "mommy and daddy", but it was "mother and daddy".

Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think it's even more odd when women call their lovers "daddy" in the bedroom.
Yep. That sends chills down my spine . . . in a bad way.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I always worry about the expectations placed on young boys when their mothers refer to them as "my little man." Can't get comfortable with it.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Am I the only one that cringes when I hear grown kids call their father, "Daddy"?

I don't really think, even if I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my father, I would have called him Daddy in my adult years.
I love my 20-year-old daughter more than anything. But I've stopped her from calling me that. She's not five anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships