Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

No matter what you say or write, it's unlikely that she'll ever change her ways and if you send her the email, she'll just stew over it. It's perfectly polite and reasonable, but that won't matter. She'll find a way to be peeved about it and use it to stir up family drama.

Just keep doing what you're doing and let her keep thinking what she's thinking. Have you ever heard the expression "What other people think of me isn't any of my business?" I think it applies perfectly in this situation.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
I think you should send it. It will make you feel better, get it out of your system, but she probably won't change.

And heck, I agree with you. I told myself the other day - I am done cooking. We don't eat that much and grazing during the day is easier.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
oh, wait. There are kids involved? And money issues?

I would suck it up and cook. I thought you were a nest free couple.

If you have kids and you don't cook - I see a future of fast food and junk. Not good at all. Sorry.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:49 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
It will not explain anything to your MIL. Her mind is closed. It is tightly shut. It will only add to the flames. Since you are the wife I will assume you were chief cook during your marriage which makes you the "bad one."

Suck it up and continue as planned. Why did you think she needed to know your plans? You knew how she would likely react. I had a MIL who was very protective of her only child.... the son of hers I married. I soon knew it was not to her liking. She had a nervous laugh and I heard it a lot. She was formally educated; however, much of it didn't take. I can cite many situations of ignorance on her part. She was truly a wicked witch of the West and it's doubtful she is resting in peace.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It's a wonderfully written email, however it's nit going to make a difference. She's been this way for 30 years, she isn't going to change now. Frustrating for sure!

Old 11-28-2014, 02:16 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
You don't need to justify your choices to her. It's YOUR family's decision. I quit trying to justify myself to my MIL years ago (a hard thing to do for a "people-pleaser"). I realize that she still talks smack behind my back (she actually left her journal wide open once while staying at my house, so I saw it in black and white), but I will not allow her negativity to bring me down anymore. I strive to save my precious energy for things that matter to me.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Quite honestly I was expecting to read a strongly worded, seriously pissed off bitchin' daughter in law email, but yours very well written and respectful. I liked it.

However, I don't think you should send it. You know how she is.. Everybody else knows how she is. Next time she starts complaining about something that she feels you should or shouldn't be doing, just tell her in no uncertain terms that this is a decision that you and hubby agreed upon. End of discussion.

But why is it SOME daughter in laws, like yourself go after the mother in law?
Where the hell is your husband in all this?

Tell him to tell his mom to stop doing this. Get after his arse. It will mean more and maybe even get through to her easier and faster if it comes from him.

Once he confronts her with her behavior and how he knows she goes to the others with her complaints/concerns she'll likely stop. But he's got to do it. Not you.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:28 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I learned the hard way that emails like this don't usually work. The recipient will feel a need to respond and also share the email. It becomes an emotionally charged exchange very quickly.

If you must send her a note: "Thanks so much for cooking/baking for us. We don't do much of that anymore, as you know, because we really hate it. But we love to eat and sure do love the things you make for us! Thanks again! We love you!"

And then give yourself high praise, a pat on the back and a glass of wine for taking the high road.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:44 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I learned the hard way that emails like this don't usually work. The recipient will feel a need to respond and also share the email. It becomes an emotionally charged exchange very quickly.

If you must send her a note: "Thanks so much for cooking/baking for us. We don't do much of that anymore, as you know, because we really hate it. But we love to eat and sure do love the things you make for us! Thanks again! We love you!"

And then give yourself high praise, a pat on the back and a glass of wine for taking the high road
That's good advice. Not only is it the polite thing to do, but it might even head mom off at the pass, so to speak.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:56 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

And then give yourself high praise, a pat on the back and a glass of wine for taking the high road.
This sounds good to me.

If you feel you must go with the lengthy explanation, do it in person the next time she brings the subject up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships