Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:27 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Now that Thanksgiving Weekend is over, my wife and I will spend the rest of December online and at the mall spending money on presents for relatives we have a strained and distant relationship with.

Why do we do it? We don't want to make waves and it is expected and is easier than the anger we would have to endure by the few relatives we like. If we did not show up with gifts for everyone, the air would be sucked out of the room and people would gossip, give us the silent treatment and I would never hear the end of it for months afterwards.

The other Aunts and Uncles are in a spending competition with each other seeing how much they can spend on their nieces and nephews. They want to buy their love through gifts. The nieces and nephews don't give us Aunts and Uncles the time of day except when they are forced to say thank you for the gifts, they don't seem so impressed with.

Tell us about your gift giving for Christmas. How many people do you buy gifts for? Do they say thank you sincerely? How much do you spend? Is the process enjoyable for you? Or do you buy things just to keep the relatives happy?
Been there; done that and I sympathize with you.

Now that the grandparents are gone and the families don't get together for the holidays anymore we have the freedom to do it our way. It is very difficult to go against the grain of old family traditions.

And of the four of us I'm probably the one who puts the most store by tradition. Daughter has different ideas and we've let her guide our new ways.

Our kids work hard and their finances are always stretched. They want to give us gifts and there's really nothing we need anymore. I usually ask for handmade things.

For them we gift them with a couple of large and practical items (like snow tires, filling the winter propane gas tank) that will save them money. And then I buy a few little items to open of snacks or trinkets that they'd like but probably don't spend money on.

This year I'm paying off my son's credit card bills. I had planned to buy him a vehicle but first things first. And my daughter will get an equal amount of money. They aren't very fun gifts to give but I know that they will be very much appreciated.

Our big gift to all of us is a monumental feast of a meal with the old traditionals and new special treats we wouldn't buy the rest of the year.

My husband and I don't gift anymore. We're going to Mexico for a week in January instead.

The other people are my service persons - dentist, hair stylist, etc. Some of them are nearly like family I've had them so long. I give them homemade candy or cookies.

Is it enjoyable for me? Yes and no. Every year it seems like it takes more energy to do less than I did the year before. But I do like to give things to people and I get excited about watching them open their gifts. Just like a kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:29 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
There is a sense of obligation. If it were up to me, i'd just give away baked goods, but I would never get away with that.
I think that's a very nice gift of your time and talents. Those are the best kind of gifts. Too bad others don't see it that way.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Most of my family is dead so no shopping here. I do remember great Christmases in the past full of gifts and fun times. I hope the folks who do no gifting think about this for a minute!

The SO and I have decided to buy each other some DVD's we have been wanting and that's it!

Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Quote:
I read somewhere that the average person buys for 11 people and spends about $900 for Christmas Gifts.

So many people I have bought gifts for in the past never said thanks and I suspect the gift ended in the basement.
So then stop buying for them, nobody points a gun to your head.

My MIL has bought me so many things I don't want over the years, I keep telling her thanks but no thanks, there is no need, etc. She barely survives off her retirement money as it is. I told her this year don't buy anything, if she wants to buy a gift for our son that's fine, but seriously he's a baby he needs NOTHING.

I know she's not going to listen and again I'll be sending over a huge box of stuff to Salvation Army in January... *sigh*

She knows we prefer practical gifts yet gets us things we don't want or would never use. Seriously what am I going to do in a small apartment with a 3 foot tall purple beaded peacock?! That was the craziest gift ever.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Most of my family is dead so no shopping here. I do remember great Christmases in the past full of gifts and fun times. I hope the folks who do no gifting think about this for a minute!

The SO and I have decided to buy each other some DVD's we have been wanting and that's it!
I'm not a humbug, but I won't buy gifts that are given out of obligation, instead of caring.

My husband and I need nothing. We like to travel, so I'm perfecting content with promises of future trips.
I can't bring myself to shop out of obligation, and I can't imagine receiving gifts that are given with that thought in mind.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
It has been years since I've done a gift exchange with anyone.

Christmas here is very low key; decorations, a nice meal, and just enjoying the time of year and the sparkle of the lights around the neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
2 gifts. One for a gift exchange, about $12. One for my last living Aunt, about $30. That's it. Siblings and I quit gifts several years ago.

If there were any young children in the family I would buy them something. Probably something their parents wouldn't want them to have, like cymbals.

I hope no one gets me a gift. I haven't liked receiving gifts since I've been an adult. If anyone feels like they must I hope it is liquor or smokes.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
A few years ago, I asked those friends and relatives who regularly give me Christmas presents to instead donate to charity - either to one I strongly support, or to one of their choice - instead. If they absolutely can't imagine Christmas without giving me something, I ask that they keep it simple and small, either jokey or something that will get used up, such as nice soap or a candle or cookies, or at least reasonably modest - a good paperback book, CD, scarf, etc.

I still give to a good many people, both family and friends, but try to include an ornament the said charity (which fundraises to assist adoptive parents and advocates for orphans with special needs), provides to donors, to help spread the word and I hope, open others' eyes and hearts. It seems to work well, as at least five people on my Christmas list donated to this charity last year.

I often bake treats for my neighbors for Christmas, depending on how much time I have, but sometimes the treats don't get made and delivered until the first week of the New Year - when they may be more appreciated, anyway. I do try to get similar treats off to faraway family and friends before Christmas, however.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Only Santa should give gifts... and only to those little ones who truly believe.

Everyone else should act surprised as H€££ while they drink egg nogg.

That's the spirit of Christmas for me!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:39 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
I read somewhere that the average person buys for 11 people and spends about $900 for Christmas Gifts.

So many people I have bought gifts for in the past never said thanks and I suspect the gift ended in the basement.
My mom is the only person I buy anything for anymore. My kids are all in their 50s and I always sent them, and their family, gift cards because they lived so far away. I always had to call and find out if they got them okay. Not to be thanked for them but just to know they hadn't got lost in the mail. If I got a card from them it was all I expected. Anyway, a couple of years ago I decided to not do that anymore. I started buying things for kids and seniors from the Christmas tree at work. I spent my WHOLE Christmas "allowance" on it and it felt good! I know the things I bought will be appreciated and they were specific items they wanted. So that's what I do every year now and everyone is okay with that. If they weren't I wouldn't care.

Gifts that end up in basements are usually the ones received from people who don't know us very well, what our interests are or what we'd like. Obligatory last minute gifts, usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships