Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

I noticed that you wrote that you mention not having "legal documents". Yet I'm confused. You mention having a seasonal job but say you can't continue to work until you get "legal documents"?

Without knowing the full story, it's hard to give you good, concrete advice. I know the law is different when it comes to legal immigration versus native born when talking about applying for benefits. So, before proceeding to get help for your mother, find out just what she is eligible for in terms of help. Also, do look into charitable organizations that can provide assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 PM

459 posts, read 768,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I noticed that you wrote that you mention not having "legal documents". Yet I'm confused. You mention having a seasonal job but say you can't continue to work until you get "legal documents"?

Without knowing the full story, it's hard to give you good, concrete advice. I know the law is different when it comes to legal immigration versus native born when talking about applying for benefits. So, before proceeding to get help for your mother, find out just what she is eligible for in terms of help. Also, do look into charitable organizations that can provide assistance.
I'm not an immigrant. My job was a phone interviewer for surveys on last election. I had my security card back then. I lost it and need to get my birth certificate out of state to obtain the social security card. I'm a U.S. Citizen just need legal documents in a row.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
some questions:

why did you wait so long to replace your ss card?
why are you living with your mother?
what kind of educational and employment history do you have?

your mother is going to drag you down with her. misery loves company. some things you can do: move out. get her a home health aide after placing her on disability. if she has any mental disorders, get her a social worker. she may need to go to a hospital for a while where they will take care of her. while she's away from you,you can focus on fixing your own life and finding full time employment. otherwise you both are going to be homeless. sometimes you have to be cruel to someone else so you can be kind to yourself.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
I'm not an immigrant. My job was a phone interviewer for surveys on last election. I had my security card back then. I lost it and need to get my birth certificate out of state to obtain the social security card. I'm a U.S. Citizen just need legal documents in a row.
Okay. Good to know. Then I suggest taking the advice other posters gave you on where to turn for help.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
a digestive disorder is not a disability. It may be when a doctor certifies that it is so bad that "it severely impairs the ability to work and function on an every day level." I'm not an attorney or doctor. you may need to speak to both.If your mother doesn't want to manage her disease, take meds and see doctors then she's neglecting herself. It sounds to me like she wants you to take care of her. you're not in the position to do that. you take care of yourself first. you're not good to anybody if you can't take care of yourself. your mother is going to become a burden to you and you're going to eventually hate her for it whether you want to or not. you need to put her in a place where she's taken care of, if you can't take care of her, and she clearly can't take care of herself.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
some questions:

why did you wait so long to replace your ss card?
why are you living with your mother?
what kind of educational and employment history do you have?

your mother is going to drag you down with her. misery loves company. some things you can do: move out. get her a home health aide after placing her on disability. if she has any mental disorders, get her a social worker. she may need to go to a hospital for a while where they will take care of her. while she's away from you,you can focus on fixing your own life and finding full time employment. otherwise you both are going to be homeless. sometimes you have to be cruel to someone else so you can be kind to yourself.
I just lost 3 weeks ago my ss card along with birth certificate. They were in the same place. I have my id thankfully so I can still get everything I need. If I had these documents I'd have been gone 3 weeks ago. They said they could get me set up and everything. But I had to pay for the late rent electricity and sprint added with her money from her job. I didn't have anything left to pay for my needed expenses.

If she goes to the hospital I don't know what I'm going to do with the pets while she's gone. Where I'm going only allows singles.

She's not really mentally ill she's just upset she has limited abilities. She is dragging things down but it's hard for me to just leave her in that state. Where I know it's hard for her to make money.

And yeah I know I need to get my life together. That's why i was leaving I just need to rack up enough money to pay for the documents.

My employment history is limited. But the two jobs I had before this one was in places where they gave anyone a job. Like charities. One job for a program I was in to help me with work experience. The other was connected to that facility and the other was this job in surveys which I was hoping lasted 3 months. But I'm not sure I have a few more weeks and they really don't need anyone and said they might be closed 2 weeks this month. I'm really excited though because here there's gambling everywhere. So I was limited on jobs. I held all my jobs as long as I could they were all temp. jobs one of which didn't have enough to finance the second building.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 PM

It sounds like your ss card and birth certificate might have been stolen. When you are able to afford it, sign up for a credit monitoring agency like Privacy Guard or LifeLock. I'm serious about this. Someone could end up using your identity and it is a real nightmare to straighten that out.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
a digestive disorder is not a disability. It may be when a doctor certifies that it is so bad that "it severely impairs the ability to work and function on an every day level." I'm not an attorney or doctor. you may need to speak to both.If your mother doesn't want to manage her disease, take meds and see doctors then she's neglecting herself. It sounds to me like she wants you to take care of her. you're not in the position to do that. you take care of yourself first. you're not good to anybody if you can't take care of yourself. your mother is going to become a burden to you and you're going to eventually hate her for it whether you want to or not. you need to put her in a place where she's taken care of, if you can't take care of her, and she clearly can't take care of herself.

There's not much help for histamine intolerance. The only thing that helps is actually DAO which makes you able to eat anything. The thing is she can't take it because we're Muslim and it's made from the pig. She's not dying which is the only we can consume pork products. So she has very few options as far as treating it. But you raised a good point thank you.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It sounds like your ss card and birth certificate might have been stolen. When you are able to afford it, sign up for a credit monitoring agency like Privacy Guard or LifeLock. I'm serious about this. Someone could end up using your identity and it is a real nightmare to straighten that out.
I have no money though what would they impersonate me?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 PM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
I have no money though what would they impersonate me?
They don't want your money. They want your social so they can use it to take out a bunch of credit under your name.

Like myself and some others have said, contact the Department of Job & Family Services for your county and state. They can help you with food and medical. They may also be able to point you in the direction of someone who can provide utility assistance. In Ohio, it's called PIPP and it sets your electric bill based on what your income is.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it may have been a better idea to replace your lost SS card and birth certificate before paying past due bills. I'm not sure the cost where you are, but here it's only $50 for both of them.

And unfortunately, disability is not an option when you have the means to treat your illness but refuse to (regardless of the reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships