Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:15 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I don't want help in my kitchen. My kitchen, my stuff . . . let's just say I'm territorial and leave it at that. :-) If they want to bring their dishes in from the table, that's nice. I will stack them on the counter, and then shoo everyone out and join them for the rest of the evening. There is nothing more annoying that someone who feels that they are obligated to somehow "pay" for their dinner by being a kitchen slave. I invited you over to share a meal and for conversation. I can't relax if everyone is wandering around the kitchen saying, "Here, let me do this," or "where shall I put that?" etc., etc. and I'm trying to tactfully rescue my Waterford or my sterling from the dishwasher . . . I'd MUCH rather be sitting down with after-dinner drinks by the fire, possibly playing a game, rather than putting dishes away. Where is it written, please, that dishes MUST be done directly after dinner?

Offer if you must. When I politely turn you down, don't make a federal case of it, just smile and get on with the evening. I had one guest that INSISTED that she do the dishes, because "her mother raised her right!" I had to firmly guide her from the kitchen, assuring her that I would never tell her mother.
This is why I don't invite my mother-in-law to my parties anymore. If I do, I have a choice - either spend my whole party cleaning or try (and probably fail) to enjoy the party while she cleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Me, neither. In fact, that's my little litmus for men, now. If they don't get off their arses and at least attempt to help, without being asked, away with them. And I don't mean just when I cook. I mean when anyone cooks. If they come from one of those families where Thanksgiving is pretty much Women's Enslavement Day, such that the women are on their feet all day and the men just show up and eat, watch a game, and belch, without so much as lifting a finger to help, I am outta there--especially if the guy whines, hems, haws, and generally puts on a big childish show about being miserable when I hand him a dish towel.
Agree! That and how they treat the waitstaff.

I'd known my (future) husband for several weeks before my parents had a chance to meet him. They invited him to their house for dinner. When we were done eating he got up, (still carrying on the conversation) and took his dishes to the sink. My mother looked at me, pointed over her shoulder and mouthed, "That one."

Old 12-05-2014, 12:18 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Me, neither. In fact, that's my little litmus for men, now. If they don't get off their arses and at least attempt to help, without being asked, away with them. And I don't mean just when I cook. I mean when anyone cooks. If they come from one of those families where Thanksgiving is pretty much Women's Enslavement Day, such that the women are on their feet all day and the men just show up and eat, watch a game, and belch, without so much as lifting a finger to help, I am outta there--especially if the guy whines, hems, haws, and generally puts on a big childish show about being miserable when I hand him a dish towel.
Is there some background to this? Do the men never ever do anything around the house? No yard work, taking care of the vehicle etc.

I'm a female and I always wonder about these statements - "my husband/boyfriend never does anything around the house?"

No outside job, just a king that is waited on hand and foot? I know that there are some like that out there.

But seriously? I gladly do all the cooking and cleaning. My car is washed and cleaned several times a WEEK. Yard is kept immaculate. He does all the heavy shopping - large quantities of pet food, bulk items etc.

And we are just basically roommates! It might seem that he doesn't do a lot because what he does is done out of sight and not directly in the home.

The hours spent on yard work alone do not even total up to the time I spend cooking and cleaning.

Just my take on the battle of the sexes.

And yes, I could do all that myself, just choose not to do so.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:18 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Just because the laundry is there in the laundry room, that doesn't mean you have to do it right away.
Well, I think you'd have to see my laundry room before passing that judgment!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Well, I think you'd have to see my laundry room before passing that judgment!
I can't stand to see dirty anything. My machine is used daily.

See - I said machine - not me. Laundry is really an easy task. We grew up with a wringer washer and wash tubs for rinsing. Laundry hung out to dry, sprinkled and let to sit for ironing later.

Laundry today is a breeeeezzzzeee! I laugh at the laundry whiners!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM

And my mom grew up with boiling clothes over a fire! The wringer washer to her was a miracle - lol.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And I was raised to always strip a bed and to ask the hosts if they would like me to remake it.
I think that supports the best answer of asking first. Some people would like it, others wouldn't. Me, I've only got one set of sheets for the guest room, and a tiny laundry room that is also the major walk-through into our house from the garage. I'd rather the bed just be tidied up and I'll get to it in a few days.

When I'm staying at someone's house, I typically ask if I can bring them the bedding. Some say yes, others ask me to leave it.

I think that goes for dishes too. Ultimately, IMO, the kindest thing to do is offer help, then respect the host's answer either way. Over-ruling them or making the decision for them often isn't doing anyone favors.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I can't stand to see dirty anything. My machine is used daily.

See - I said machine - not me. Laundry is really an easy task. We grew up with a wringer washer and wash tubs for rinsing. Laundry hung out to dry, sprinkled and let to sit for ironing later.

Laundry today is a breeeeezzzzeee! I laugh at the laundry whiners!
Not a laundry whiner at all. I work full-time and choose to dry my clothes on a line, especially sheets. I'd rather leave the sheets on the bed until the weekend comes and I can clean them the way I want. A guest forcing me to deal with them on their terms isn't "help".

Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Not a laundry whiner at all. I work full-time and choose to dry my clothes on a line, especially sheets. I'd rather leave the sheets on the bed until the weekend comes and I can clean them the way I want. A guest forcing me to deal with them on their terms isn't "help".
I wasn't saying you were a laundry whiner - sorry.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:37 PM

And I hate staying at someone's house. The times we have had to go see family its get a hotel room and relax.

Take them out to eat or something -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships